U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,086,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
How about Asheville, NC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Perfect for July, there is also Maggie Valley or the Smokies in Gatlinburg TN
Shenandoah Valley in VA too.

Unless one LOVES heat and humidity places anywhere in FL, Charleston, Savannah etc are going to be HOT, HUMID not good walking around weather unless that weather is someones cup of tea.

Gatlinburg area was my thought as well. That could be very nice for an anniversary.

Do a quick search for Gatlinburg cabins.. You can rent very nice cabins at a good price during the summer.

Lots to do nearby and also very nice just sitting out on one of the porches in the evenings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 09:38 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Hey everyone. My wife and I are trying to pick a vacation spot for next July 2019, 4th of July week, for our 10th wedding anniversary.
Stay North: Niagara Falls

Old 03-22-2018, 09:49 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,314,365 times
While the west coast is pretty far for so short a stay, I'd suggest you have a look at Portland, Oregon and the Columbia River Gorge. The Gorge has it all - fabulous scenery, waterfalls, funky accommodations, and at the eastern edge of the "main" part of the Gorge, the town of Hood River and the Hood River Valley offers lots of activities, ranging from water sports (active or passive) to winery tours, the "fruit loop" drive (U-pick and fruit stands galore) as well as Mount Hood.

Check out McMenamin's Edgefield - https://www.mcmenamins.com/edgefield - as a possible home base (with easy access to all of the above in day drives.) It's 10 minutes from PDX airport, has an on-site brewery, a distillery, a winery, spa, movie theater, golf, gardens... plus music, numerous pubs and cafes, and terrific artwork all over the place.

The weather will be terrific - warm but not humid, the driving is easy and scenic, there's no sales tax in Oregon, and with four or five days you'll have no trouble whatsoever finding things to do.

Columbia River Gorge -

Mount Hood from Portland -

Old 03-22-2018, 10:12 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,038,332 times
Default SE S Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Hey everyone. My wife and I are trying to pick a vacation spot for next July 2019, 4th of July week, for our 10th wedding anniversary. We are having trouble picking a location though. We want to stay in the US. Thatís about as far as weíve got. We plan on staying for roughly 5 days, 4 nights. We want to avoid any real big cities but donít want to get bored either. We donít mind flying or driving, just depends on how far the drive is. We live in Rochester NY so the max we would want to drive is 10 hours or so, anything further I think weíd fly. Neither of us are super outdoorsy or athletic but we like to always be doing something. And I know a lot of people hate the touristy destinations but we honestly donít mind them. One place we want to avoid is Disney or any amusement park type places.

Two places we considered was Las Vegas and Key West but we arenít sold on either. We will both be in our early 30ís if that helps. This will be our first big vacation together due to having kids early in our marriage. Also since it will be 4th of July week does that make any difference? Best place to spend the 4th? Any and all recommendations are welcomed. Just trying to get ideas. Thanks!
Especially since you'll be traveling during the 4th, I'd suggest southeast South Dakota (fly to Rapid City).

Minuteman Missle silo
South Dakota Air and Space Museum
Mt Rushmore (spectacular, iconic place to see 4th of July fireworks)
Badlands National Park (avoid Wall Drug on I90 - tourist trap)
Custer State Park
Wind Cave National Park
Towns of Deadwood, Spearfish, and Hot Springs
Crazy Horse Memorial
In Wyoming: Devil's Tower (must see if you liked Close Encounters)
In Nebraska (maybe 2+ hrs from Rapid City): Carhenge ģ – of Alliance, Nebraska

All the the SD locations are relatively close to each other. You'd be driving 3+ hours/day, max. if you were based in Rapid City.

And throughout the area there's the big sky and openness that you rarely experience in the East Coast.

We did this as a family vacation years ago and it has held up as our favorite.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:51 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,889,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Gatlinburg area was my thought as well. That could be very nice for an anniversary.

Do a quick search for Gatlinburg cabins.. You can rent very nice cabins at a good price during the summer.

Lots to do nearby and also very nice just sitting out on one of the porches in the evenings.
Yes, they only have 5 days so I would fly into Knoxville, as it's a long drive from Rochester NY

Old 03-22-2018, 11:10 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,171,341 times
I've never been there but what about Bermuda? I'd love to see it but we like taking our holidays in the winter to the sunny south, and it would be too cold then.

IDK, maybe Bermuda has beautiful beaches and not much else to do? Someone else might know more....??

Old 03-22-2018, 11:40 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,990,821 times
Well, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I is technically part of the U.S and is very nice! https://www.visitusvi.com/stthomas/homepage

Otherwise if you are looking at the continental states I suggest:

Gatlinburg, Tn Gatlinburg Cabins in Gatlinburg TN

Myrtle Beach, SC https://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com

Las Vegas, Nv

Chicago, Il

New York City, NY

Last edited by CGab; 03-22-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-22-2018, 12:30 PM

629 posts, read 492,692 times
A few suggestions in no particular order:

Oregon Coast and Columbia River Gorge
Sedona, AZ and Grand Canyon
Maine Coast
Quebec City (Canada, but not too far from you).

Old 03-22-2018, 02:22 PM

5,342 posts, read 7,216,566 times
Colorado Springs, maybe?

Old 03-22-2018, 02:56 PM

315 posts, read 158,839 times
July 4th will be busy in San Diego, but our weather is normally very nice then. The beaches are usually about 75 to 80 degrees. Bermuda tends to be pretty warm by the beginning of July and the humidity is high, but the beaches are beautiful and it is a very relaxing, romantic place to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel