U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:37 AM

3,531 posts, read 1,774,699 times

Advertisements

I would narrow it down to driving distance or flights of less than 2 hours. 4 nights is too short for going too far, especially on a holiday week. One setback at the airport can eat a day.
Off the top of my head, Martha's Vineyard, the Hamptons, Nantucket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 09:57 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,408,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Hey everyone. My wife and I are trying to pick a vacation spot for next July 2019, 4th of July week, for our 10th wedding anniversary. We are having trouble picking a location though. We want to stay in the US. Thatís about as far as weíve got. We plan on staying for roughly 5 days, 4 nights. We want to avoid any real big cities but donít want to get bored either. We donít mind flying or driving, just depends on how far the drive is. We live in Rochester NY so the max we would want to drive is 10 hours or so, anything further I think weíd fly. Neither of us are super outdoorsy or athletic but we like to always be doing something. And I know a lot of people hate the touristy destinations but we honestly donít mind them. One place we want to avoid is Disney or any amusement park type places.

Two places we considered was Las Vegas and Key West but we arenít sold on either. We will both be in our early 30ís if that helps. This will be our first big vacation together due to having kids early in our marriage. Also since it will be 4th of July week does that make any difference? Best place to spend the 4th? Any and all recommendations are welcomed. Just trying to get ideas. Thanks!
Driving:

You have all of the East Coast cities (Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC), but I'd suggest Chicago (should be <10 hours). It's amazing in the summer and will have fireworks, great restaurants, awesome hotels...

My other suggestion is NOLA. I went with my wife once and it was not crazy, we ate really well, did some sightseeing and had a great time. It's perfect for 4 nights and you don't have to party all night if you don't want to.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:05 PM

999 posts, read 348,218 times
I'd go with Maine. Bar Harbor, Portland (Peaks Island), Kennebunkport, etc They are all nice.

Or maybe Provincetown (Cape Cod) or Newport, RI.

Key West, Charleston, Savannah, etc will be unbearably hot and humid in July.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:07 PM

569 posts, read 265,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Colorado Springs, maybe?
My husband and I did a 3 night four day trip to Colorado Springs at the beginning of October last year. It was a great place to visit. We flew into Denver and rented a car and drove down to Co. Springs from there. First night we stayed in Manitou Springs which is a great walkable place to be. The following morning we drove to the top of Pike's Peak which was an incredible experience. You can also take the cog rail up to the top but we really enjoyed stopping at various points along the parkway on the way back down. The next two nights were spent at the Mining Exchange Wyndham in downtown Colorado Springs. We ate at a great Jamaican restaurant the first night and then the next day explored Red Rock Canyon and the Garden of the Gods park which were just a short drive away. If we had stayed longer, there appeared to be quite a lot of things to do downtown as well.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:16 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,268,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
My husband and I did a 3 night four day trip to Colorado Springs at the beginning of October last year. It was a great place to visit. We flew into Denver and rented a car and drove down to Co. Springs from there. First night we stayed in Manitou Springs which is a great walkable place to be. The following morning we drove to the top of Pike's Peak which was an incredible experience. You can also take the cog rail up to the top but we really enjoyed stopping at various points along the parkway on the way back down. The next two nights were spent at the Mining Exchange Wyndham in downtown Colorado Springs. We ate at a great Jamaican restaurant the first night and then the next day explored Red Rock Canyon and the Garden of the Gods park which were just a short drive away. If we had stayed longer, there appeared to be quite a lot of things to do downtown as well.
Just an FYI should the OP choose Colorado Springs. The Pikes Peak Cog Railway is currently closed and will not be open this year at all. In fact, it may never reopen again. The railway's owner, The Broadmoor Hotel, is currently conducting a 2-3 year study to determine how much it will cost to replace worn out infrastructure.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:27 PM

838 posts, read 1,018,178 times
Yellowstone! it is awesome in July!

Old 03-23-2018, 03:25 PM

4,645 posts, read 3,701,111 times
Don't know if you absolutely have to restrict yourself to the States, but that's a great time of year to visit the Maritime Provinces: Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island. Lots to do and see, under 800 miles from where you're at. I did a vacation there years ago and absolutely loved it. The Cape Breton Trail is one of the most spectacular drives in North America.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:23 PM

8,946 posts, read 5,085,373 times
i want to go to the smokey mountains, my self

Old 03-23-2018, 06:57 PM

1,293 posts, read 948,496 times
If you don't travel often, I'd say July 4th should be spent in the capital. DC isn't a very big city, but you can feel the nation there, especially during holidays. From there, you can drive to Appalachia or fly to Miami to enjoy the ocean.

I wouldn't go to Keys, as driving through them is painfully slow, and it's pretty boring if you aren't specifically into water sports. After these storms, I'm afraid lodging there is either bad or expensive or both. You can swim/ kiteserf/ ride water bikes from Miami with much less time loss, and attend wonderful evening performances in Miami bars in the evening (entertainment on Keys is nonexisting) - Cuban bars with flamenco dancers are a real fun, and their food is, IMHO, really good.

Las Vegas in July can be hard, it's very hot there. You will be forced to stay indoors or in your car. If you can afford high-end hotels, and are not into sightseeing, it can be a very pleasant time. Otherwise, I'd leave "Lost Wages" for winter, when it really helps you to get through cold months, and you can visit Death Valley without risking your life.

It's best time for visiting Alaska, when there's no night in Interior.

I wouldn't go to the Pacific coast, it's about the same year round, unless you are much into nature, then I'd go see Yosemite and Red Giants, San Francisco, Morro bay and Monterrey. It will easily eat your 5 days and these are 5 points not to be missed in California.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:46 PM

1,936 posts, read 2,469,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Colorado Springs, maybe?
Yes, to this town. We were there last year in July and the weather was great. Lots to see & do.
We live in Charleston, SC. Beautiful city but Hades in July!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel