U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:12 PM

1,935 posts, read 2,468,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
My husband and I did a 3 night four day trip to Colorado Springs at the beginning of October last year. It was a great place to visit. We flew into Denver and rented a car and drove down to Co. Springs from there. First night we stayed in Manitou Springs which is a great walkable place to be. The following morning we drove to the top of Pike's Peak which was an incredible experience. You can also take the cog rail up to the top but we really enjoyed stopping at various points along the parkway on the way back down. The next two nights were spent at the Mining Exchange Wyndham in downtown Colorado Springs. We ate at a great Jamaican restaurant the first night and then the next day explored Red Rock Canyon and the Garden of the Gods park which were just a short drive away. If we had stayed longer, there appeared to be quite a lot of things to do downtown as well.
Amazing -- our July trip was almost exactly the same as luckeeesmom's itinerary! Our 2 nights at the Mining Exchange were due to a wedding we were attending. Didn't do a Jamaican restaurant though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 09:54 PM

3,604 posts, read 3,163,871 times
If it were me, I would chose Yellowstone and stay in their lodge.

I like Colorado, but we tend to do more outdoorsy stuff and don't hang out in the cities as much. The Silverton Durango train is worth a day trip. Remember to wear sun glasses so you don't get cinders in your eyes.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:43 PM

1,246 posts, read 821,518 times
Thank you so much everyone. All of your suggestions have been incredible helpful! While we haven’t figured out exactly where we want to go I think we have crossed the Keys and Vegas off the list mainly due to distance and heat. I like the suggestions for Maine. Never been there and the coastal region looks amazing. Might consider driving through the Adirondacks and VT/NH to Maine but I don’t know if that would be to much drive time.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:44 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Thank you so much everyone. All of your suggestions have been incredible helpful! While we havenít figured out exactly where we want to go I think we have crossed the Keys and Vegas off the list mainly due to distance and heat. I like the suggestions for Maine. Never been there and the coastal region looks amazing. Might consider driving through the Adirondacks and VT/NH to Maine but I donít know if that would be to much drive time.

Break the trip up, stop, spend one night going and coming back as it's a beautiful drive

Old 03-24-2018, 07:29 PM

1,246 posts, read 821,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
[/b]

Break the trip up, stop, spend one night going and coming back as it's a beautiful drive
Any ideas of where to stop for a night coming and going?

Old 03-26-2018, 08:47 AM

723 posts, read 481,614 times
The Outer Banks of North Carolina. See all of the lighthouses, relax on some of the best beaches out on Ocracoke, boat ride out to Shackleford banks to see the wild ponies, a great place to be!

Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,444,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Especially since you'll be traveling during the 4th, I'd suggest southeast South Dakota (fly to Rapid City).

Minuteman Missle silo
South Dakota Air and Space Museum
Mt Rushmore (spectacular, iconic place to see 4th of July fireworks)
Badlands National Park (avoid Wall Drug on I90 - tourist trap)
Custer State Park
Wind Cave National Park
Towns of Deadwood, Spearfish, and Hot Springs
Crazy Horse Memorial
In Wyoming: Devil's Tower (must see if you liked Close Encounters)
In Nebraska (maybe 2+ hrs from Rapid City): Carhenge ģ Ė of Alliance, Nebraska

All the the SD locations are relatively close to each other. You'd be driving 3+ hours/day, max. if you were based in Rapid City.

And throughout the area there's the big sky and openness that you rarely experience in the East Coast.

We did this as a family vacation years ago and it has held up as our favorite.
While this is a great area to visit, they no longer do fireworks at Mount Rushmore.

However, it's a very pretty area with lots to do, and early July is a good time to visit. If you get here too late in July, you'll start seeing all the motorcycles and the first week or two in August is hell (Sturgis).

Old 03-27-2018, 09:51 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,881,518 times
You said you are not outdoor types but do you enjoy a nice drive. If it were me planning something like this on the Fourth of July, I would drive down the Skyline Drive and The Blue Ridge Parkway. July 4th is a hot time and this drive would be in the higher elevations. It would take some planning though because you would need to know where you plan to stop each day and have reservations. My experience is that you can cover about 100 miles per day if you stop at all the overlooks.

Another thought is an Amtrak trip across the USA.

Want to go to one place? Plan a nice getaway at one of the coolest places in the Southern mountains. Rent a place at Jefferson Landing in Ashe County, N. C. Another choice would be romantic Blowing Rock, N. C.

http://www.visitjeffersonlanding.com/

Last edited by NCN; 03-27-2018 at 10:02 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 10:00 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,881,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Thank you so much everyone. All of your suggestions have been incredible helpful! While we haven’t figured out exactly where we want to go I think we have crossed the Keys and Vegas off the list mainly due to distance and heat. I like the suggestions for Maine. Never been there and the coastal region looks amazing. Might consider driving through the Adirondacks and VT/NH to Maine but I don’t know if that would be to much drive time.
We drove into Maine from Smugglers' Notch, in Vermont, and the air was so fresh and clean. I agree that would be a good choice.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:56 PM

13,880 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I'd go with Maine. Bar Harbor, Portland (Peaks Island), Kennebunkport, etc They are all nice.

Or maybe Provincetown (Cape Cod) or Newport, RI.

Key West, Charleston, Savannah, etc will be unbearably hot and humid in July.
Yep. That's what my suggestion list would be. From Rochester NY, Portland is about 7 1/2 hours drive. Newport RI or the Cape Cod Canal 6 1/2.

If you want to swim, you need to be south of Provincetown on July 4th to get warm water. Ocean in Maine is for looking at, not swimming.

If you do bicycles, there are a lot of scenic coastal options. I like riding Ocean Drive in Newport. Route 1A in New Hampshire in Rye, New Castle, and Portsmouth is a nice bike ride. Cape Cod is loaded with bike paths. I often ditch my car in Falmouth and ride the bike path to the Marthas Vineyard ferry for a day trip.

For someone from Rochester in upstate NY, the south in July is going to feel like a steam bath.

New York has the enhanced drivers license so you can get those and go to Canada without a passport or passport card. The OP said United States but you could do a Montreal/Quebec City trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel