Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. My wife and I are trying to pick a vacation spot for next July 2019, 4th of July week, for our 10th wedding anniversary. We are having trouble picking a location though. We want to stay in the US. That’s about as far as we’ve got. We plan on staying for roughly 5 days, 4 nights. We want to avoid any real big cities but don’t want to get bored either. We don’t mind flying or driving, just depends on how far the drive is. We live in Rochester NY so the max we would want to drive is 10 hours or so, anything further I think we’d fly. Neither of us are super outdoorsy or athletic but we like to always be doing something. And I know a lot of people hate the touristy destinations but we honestly don’t mind them. One place we want to avoid is Disney or any amusement park type places.

Two places we considered was Las Vegas and Key West but we aren’t sold on either. We will both be in our early 30’s if that helps. This will be our first big vacation together due to having kids early in our marriage. Also since it will be 4th of July week does that make any difference? Best place to spend the 4th? Any and all recommendations are welcomed. Just trying to get ideas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 07:59 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
You'll get more focused responses if you give us some ideas about what you both like to do. Otherwise we're gonna be all over the map and you won't be a whole lot better off than you are right now.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
personally (my interests since we don't know yours)

Quaint east coat trip making 'memories'!

South on Highway 1 enjoying some nice romantic cottages and parks / nature reserves on the beach (and some FUN excursions!). We really had a blast with a 'daypass' to go-cart track in Ocean City! 9 tracks in one park and we brought friends for an all day / as much as you can handle (not romantic, but pretty fun for 'some' of us!). Evenings can be romantic, and sunrise breakfast that YOU fix on the Veranda.

We also liked Charleston, Savannah, St Augustine...

Then... I would rent a grand place in DC for the fireworks on The Mall (I know... PEOPLE! herds of People). I don't usually do 'people'... BUT.... DC fireworks is a once / lifetime event, (and it was a spectacular memory!)). You can find a historic 'fun' place to stay nearby to beat the crowds, and enjoy a LOT of walking / bike riding to Monuments / Museums / Mall / Mt Vernon ... (2000mi+ of bike trails in DC!).

Make it 100% special, don't 'over-do' an anniversary trip.

Have a blast.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:36 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I would not stress about too much. It's your anniversary, and hopefully not the only vacation you will take ever in your life. There are many stunning places to see, just make a list, and set a goal to over the years, see them all. One by one.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:25 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
How about Asheville, NC?

Old 03-22-2018, 08:29 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Both Key West and Las Vegas will be hotter than the hinges of hell in July. You may get some relief in Key West from ocean breezes, that said Key West is also very humid. Unless that is your type of weather I'd cross them off the list.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times
Hawaii would be high on my list. If you want to stay away from hot weather, San Francisco is a great town to spend a few days in.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
How about Asheville, NC?
Perfect for July, there is also Maggie Valley or the Smokies in Gatlinburg TN
Shenandoah Valley in VA too.

Unless one LOVES heat and humidity places anywhere in FL, Charleston, Savannah etc are going to be HOT, HUMID not good walking around weather unless that weather is someones cup of tea.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Hawaii would be high on my list. If you want to stay away from hot weather, San Francisco is a great town to spend a few days in.
That as well as San Diego also get my vote

Old 03-22-2018, 08:53 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
If you're willing to take a longer but truly scenic drive, maybe split over a couple days, I would say rent a car and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville. Then spend a couple days there (definitely visit the Biltmore!!), and fly back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel