U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 01:52 PM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times

Advertisements

We have a trip to Italy coming up next month, and I have just made two internal flight reservations. I was shocked to see that a checked bag would cost WAY more than the flight itself. Flight: $42, one checked bag 60 euros. Then, the dimensions allowed for carry-on were very specific ---not total inches allowed, but specific length, width, height. Since all bags vary somewhat, this is confusing to me. Our carry-on bags are not these exact sizes. For example, our carry-on is 23 x 14 x 9. Their example is 21.65 x 15.74 x 7.87 (I put their centimeters into inches). Do you think this small discrepancy really matters?

I guess we will try to fit 6 weeks of stuff into one small carry-on but geez. This policy does not seem very internationally-friendly to tourists. We had hoped to add a back-pack, but that way exceeds the "purse" limitations.....

Here is the link and if anyone can shed light on their experience, it would be great. Florence to Sicily, then back to Venice was highly suggested to fly, and very cheap.

VOLOTEA - The Whats, Wheres, Whens and Hows of flying your baggage with Volotea

My question is: are these limitations really this precisely enforced, in anyone's experience? They even have dimensions for one's purse, and mine is not the shape shown, though it's total dimensions are less than the example.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:10 PM

9,777 posts, read 4,991,647 times
European carry on restrictions are commonly smaller than US restrictions (and BTW, US airlines also go by length by width by height ... I've never heard of any of them going by total inches). Yes, the discrepancy matters, and yes, they do enforce the restrictions.

It sounds like you wound up on a budget airline like Spirit that wows you with low airfare then tacks on fees for everything.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:18 PM

39,319 posts, read 2,966,634 times
Try & eliminate some of your clothing, make a couple of outfits that mix & match & wash underwear every night in the hotel sink, hang to dry on the radiator or wall. Or get it cleaned at the hotel if you will be there for a few nights. Paying for cleaning is cheaper than paying for bags. We flew from Rome to Sciliy on a budget airline & noticed some of the locals brought on massive carry on bags. The limits did not seem to be enforced at that time, of course that was 6 or 7 years ago, so things have probably changed. So pack lightly you don't need that many outfits, & get them cleaned or washed frequently.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
next time...use an 'upgrade' fare

The basic fare is very basic...(day travelers + fleecing unknowing / reading customers). For ~10 more Euros you can usually get free checked bag, assigned seats, early boarding and free changes.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:06 AM

2,544 posts, read 1,633,029 times
I think you bought the cheap basic economy airfare. Same things for this type of tickets in US

Old 03-24-2018, 11:33 AM

I didn't see any options for upgrades, is the thing. Sure, we can pack less, but our carry-ons are still the same dimensions. One inch over here; one less under there. I guess we will just have to take our chances since buying new "perfect" carry-ons would cost even more. If we could find them.

I did do the upgrade on JetBlue for the first leg, but now that's useless since I didn't get it for the internal flights. You have to be a sleuth to figure this stuff out!

Btw, I was able to bring back my 35" sound bar in a rolling 33" duffle bag ($35) pushing out its edges, and no extra charge despite it being 10" exceeding the 62" total inches. But it was "only" 45 lbs. Tolerances vary I guess. Avianca: Dallas to Quito.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:11 PM

9,777 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I didn't see any options for upgrades, is the thing. Sure, we can pack less, but our carry-ons are still the same dimensions. One inch over here; one less under there. I guess we will just have to take our chances since buying new "perfect" carry-ons would cost even more. If we could find them.
Ebags.com. Go to Luggage>Carry-on then filter by size ... there are two options: international and domestic.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:04 PM

11,659 posts, read 6,266,537 times
When I flew with Norwegian Airlines, I think my bag was technically oversized and I was prepared to pay the price for it. Thankfully, they didn't check or care, but that's not something I'd come to expect. As for their restrictions: yes, they are strict, but you have to understand that's how those budget European airlines make their money. The actual ticket will be dirt cheap, but they will charge and arm and a leg for other luxuries. Quite frankly, I wish the USA had a similar model that was consistently used and as inexpensive as the Euro budget airline model. Still, I'd gladly purchase a cheap carry-on that satisfied the dimensions in order to take advantage of those killer deals!

Old 03-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
When I flew with Norwegian Airlines, I think my bag was technically oversized and I was prepared to pay the price for it. Thankfully, they didn't check or care, but that's not something I'd come to expect. As for their restrictions: yes, they are strict, but you have to understand that's how those budget European airlines make their money. The actual ticket will be dirt cheap, but they will charge and arm and a leg for other luxuries. Quite frankly, I wish the USA had a similar model that was consistently used and as inexpensive as the Euro budget airline model. Still, I'd gladly purchase a cheap carry-on that satisfied the dimensions in order to take advantage of those killer deals!

Isn't this how "Spirit" airlines operates? I almost got caught on their bait and switch tactics.

So now I just need to find a "bag" ("purse") that is 13.8" HIGH, 7.8" WIDE, and 7.8" DEEP.
Our friends are taking backpacks that way exceed these dimensions....

Nothing we have is that shape! You'd think they'd make it shaped like a laptop bag or something common. This is a really weird shape. Once again:

VOLOTEA - The Whats, Wheres, Whens and Hows of flying your baggage with Volotea

Old 03-25-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Ebags.com. Go to Luggage>Carry-on then filter by size ... there are two options: international and domestic.

Thanks but it's too late now. I'm back in the land of no-mail-delivery. But I'm going to look anyway just to satisfy curiosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or