U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 09:13 PM

39,541 posts, read 47,732,905 times

Advertisements

We have GPS, maps, Atlas, and AAA tour guide books. Wife likes to read about everything through each town we go through. I like listening to the GPS gal saying "re-calculating" and wife likes to back seat drive with the maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 03:20 PM

7,297 posts, read 15,350,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Nowadays the army gives their soldiers handheld GPS units so they can determine their position and find a route to get where they need to go. It's OK to join the 21st century. Really, it is OK.
Pretty much every year we have a local story about someone relying only on a single GPS (usually in-dash) and getting seriously lost or stuck in the back country. And we are only in the lower 48, I'd be surprised if this wasn't true in Alaska as well.

The Kim Family's tragic journey | OregonLive.com
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-15-2018, 04:32 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Pretty much every year we have a local story about someone relying only on a single GPS (usually in-dash) and getting seriously lost or stuck in the back country. And we are only in the lower 48, I'd be surprised if this wasn't true in Alaska as well.

This happened when I drove to NC. I didn't have GPS yet but I got directions from MapQuest & Google maps. They both had me on a highway that was never completed. I was driving in the back country where there were many shanties that looked to have been emptied in prep or the road - but maybe they were still occupied. When I finally got out of there I stopped at a gas station and bought a NC map - the looks I got! The checkouts & other patrons looked at me like I just grew another head - A PAPER MAP!!!

Didn't have any more problems after that.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 PM

1,208 posts, read 707,680 times
You can take a big sheet of cardboard and cut a 4 inch hole in it and put it over your map if you want to simulate the map on your phone, or GPS, experience.

We use both GPS and maps. It's fun to stop at state rest area/welcome centers for free maps.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:37 PM

7,253 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post

A little common sense should prevent that from happening. I've had my GPS try and take me down a road that didn't feel right. I just kept going and it did a recalculate. The Kim's were on a major road and should never have gone down some side road. Undoubtedly their GPS was set to shortest route vs fasted route. When you get a GPS you should familiarize yourself with its features and functions. I would venture to say there are lots of YouTube video tutorials for those who don't want to read the manual.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:11 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We use Garmin in the states and Europe, but in Europe I print out our maps ahead of time before the trip to help us.

My one silly regret at 58 is that all those years before Garmin (we have traveled a lot) I did not highlight my atlas on the routes and places we had been. It would have been a nice keepsake to look back on at this stage of my life.
My daughter just turned 7 and LOVES her wall map with the states she's visited scratched off. On the backside is a road map and we've helped her mark all the road trips she's taken so far. I need to get a hold of a Canadian map for her.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:06 PM

426 posts, read 174,440 times
I only use maps. I use the road atlas from Walmart. I've been on several months long camping and fishing trips in the intermountain west. I used the pages from states I never want to visit to start campfires and burned up the entire eastern seaboard

There is nothing like the maps you can get from the USFS. Wall size maps of our national forests with every gravel road, trail, creek, camp and wilderness boundary including the topography. My place backs up to five adjoining national forests- total- 11780 square miles. You can get maps to all of it.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:45 AM

12 posts, read 7,930 times
YES! Cell phone can go dead at any time...Sometimes car charger wouldn't even recharge my phone, just barely run it...Can't go wrong with the old atlas. But LOVE fact I'm on the great plains and I can just hit the GPS button and I know where I am...But some cell phones have such bad navigation or displays on some apps, really would rather look at map instead of staring at cell phone up to my nose on turn by turn directions while trying to watch the road for next turn...Voice assist isn't reliable on Windows phone either...Good phone, reliable but not perfect. Hate Iphones myself, chargers go bad ALWAYS on used phones to motivate you to keep up SPEND, SPEND, SPEND on iPhones.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:59 AM

1,545 posts, read 710,668 times
I don't really use physical maps per se, but sometimes I'll print out directions + a map from Google Maps or MapQuest, or look it up on my phone and try to memorize as many steps as I can. I don't like the idea of using the GPS, since everyone who does that seems to lose their sense of direction (or at least struggle to really gain an understanding of how places are laid out).

Old 04-20-2018, 08:43 AM

10,869 posts, read 10,567,796 times
I only use maps, but I've always been the sort of person who basically has a map in my head once becoming familiar with an area either on paper or physically. I can usually drive right to a spot that I've only been to once, even if it was several or many years ago. For some reason, even though I have a terrible memory otherwise, I have a super sharp memory when it comes to locations, geography, and maps.

I've never even used a GPS (well, I do have a jogging GPS, but that is different), have disabled any car GPS I've ever had, never use any sort of computer or phone system to find places when driving or hiking. I DO use google maps at home, but not really for driving directions, more for exploring places I've never been--armchair vacations, if you will. Saves money. Once I've seen it on google maps, why bother actually going there? I "went to" South Georgia Island last weekend... what a fascinating little place in the lovely South Atlantic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or