U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:21 AM

470 posts, read 555,617 times

Advertisements

Yes, I use a laminated type of state map and an atlas to plan trips, even short ones. There is so much interesting information in the atlas! Like others have said, looking at these maps, imagining the sights beforehand is part of the fun of traveling.

Never tried a GPS, but I think there are times when it's really helpful, judging from the one my daughter uses that gives vocal instructions. I get tired of it always interrupting me when I speak, though, kind of a smarty-pants--hrrmph!

I once depended on MapQuest and had printed out the step-by-step directions and got so lost, driving 3 hours out of my way in the end. I did make the mistake of getting turned around in a small town where I had stopped for lunch and went in the wrong direction, even though it was the right road! Yep, I'm directionally challenged and will readily admit that, but I still believe if I had had an actual map to look at I would have realized my mistake miles (and hours) earlier!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 06:17 AM

10,478 posts, read 5,941,871 times
I think we have an atlas and I break it out during long trips we are unfamiliar with when I'm not driving just to get a handle on our progress. But I loved maps, grew up traveling with them as our only source, so I like to just look at them to learn more of the area.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:20 AM

9,010 posts, read 8,433,569 times
No. I haven’t carried a map in my car for at least 5 years.

I also love maps, and I can pull them up on a phone or iPad very easily. If I am going on a road trip, I will download a regional map in case of weak cell signal.

I will use my phone for most navigation. I also own a dedicated GPS, but haven’t used it in a couple of years.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:37 AM

779 posts, read 525,443 times
In the late 90's I was a long distance expedite courier based in Toronto, and delivering to all of the lower 48 US states. I had an entire accordion folder that was filled with state maps, and city maps from every city I had ever made a delivery in.

One day I was parked in a commuter parking lot in the Toronto area, killing an hour while waiting to go and pick up a scheduled delivery going to Atlanta Georgia.

A man driving a car with Florida plates parked next to my van and came around to my driver's door. He had a map in his hand....so I assumed he needed some directions. Sure enough he asked me how to get to a city about 100 miles north of Toronto. I got out and spread out his map on the hood of his car.....

Then I realised what his problem was.....The map was 35 years old. I pointed out that since he was last here in Ontario, we have built a few new highways, and some new cities, too. I offered to give him a brand new Provincial highway map, for free.

He refused. I wrote down the specific route for him to follow, and wished him well on the rest of his journey. You can't make this stuff up.

XXX.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:42 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,645,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
No. I havenít carried a map in my car for at least 5 years.

I also love maps, and I can pull them up on a phone or iPad very easily. If I am going on a road trip, I will download a regional map in case of weak cell signal.

I will use my phone for most navigation. I also own a dedicated GPS, but havenít used it in a couple of years.
My situation is exactly the same. I love maps, and I have an atlas at home that sometimes I just like to browse in for fun.

I don't keep paper maps in my car, because I can't be driving and looking at maps at the same time, and sometimes it's not easy to pull over and consult a map. On a paper map, there's no way to know where I am at any given minute.

I use Google Maps on my phone in my car. She (it's a female voice) tells me right away when I've taken a wrong turn. Sometimes I argue with her about a route that I want to take in spite of directions she's given me.

If I'm going someplace I haven't been before, I'll consult online maps before I leave, to get the "big picture" and to consider alternate routes. But once I'm in the car, it's Google Maps only for the detailed directions.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:29 AM

1,353 posts, read 3,205,581 times
Our Sales Manager at work (who is 75) was using an Atlas when he traveled to see customers. When I saw him planning a trip I asked why he didn't use Google or Mapquest, he replied" they charge for their directions". Not sure where he got that info - so I quickly showed him how to use and I am proud to say he now uses Google maps - he's still on a flip phone - not ready for a smart phone - but at least we got him to put the atlas away!!.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:45 AM

33,929 posts, read 42,185,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
hmmm... that sounds like the sort of GPS I'd like.
Maybe not. I'm pretty familiar with the area and he went through towns I'd never heard of.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:38 AM

9,834 posts, read 5,037,189 times
GPS usually doesn't offer just one route. Whenever I plug in my destination, it will show what it "thinks" is the best route, but there are usually 2 or 3 other options that I can choose from, looking at the "big picture" map.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:41 AM

5,135 posts, read 955,747 times
I carry a map in the car just in case the GPS insists I can ignore road works.

I don't use GPS on the motorbike, so I use a map before I travel, and take one with me to check at service stations.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,782,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Or a road atlas? I always do, because I love maps and could never switch to using GPS, except for urban driving. I love to make unplanned detours on the spur of the moment when driving on vacation, and using a map gives me a good overview of the areas around the road I'll be driving along.
We have several map books that are always in our vehicle. We frequently go out for a Saturday afternoon drive after I get off work. We don't go anywhere that's planned so they come in handy. They come in handy when there's a road closure for an accident or a road is washed out. GPS can only get you so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or