U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 09:43 AM

151 posts, read 62,957 times

Advertisements

Yes I do.....Only use the GPS when looking for a specific restaurant, address, etc. Maps are totally awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 02:27 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,148,888 times
Post Back in 1994 we had to use Microsoft Streets & Trips to print maps from CD-ROM and we liked it that way

I carry paper maps in my car, but it's been decades since I have used a paper map for anything but hiking trips out in the wilderness or walking the streets of Tokyo, Stockholm, etc.

I was using (offline) digital maps on my grayscale PalmPilot in the pre Y2K days; before that we used "Microsoft Streets & Trips", a CD-ROM based road atlas that could print out custom maps before you went off on a road trip.

In my car, assuming the car is running, the built-in local GPS and maps will be working and I'll have a way to charge my phone; additionally, Google maps has a way to download offline areas in case of no cell coverage.

If my car isn't running, paper maps might come in handy, if only to make a big "HELP!" sign for the window.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:41 PM

5,453 posts, read 2,782,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Myself, I've never been lost. There have been times when I didn't know where I was or how to get somewhere, but I've never been lost.
This!

If you used google maps or any nav system here, you might have been tempted to take a short cut in one of the nearby areas. Look at a map of Mason county, WA and look up a road called Bear Ridge Rd. It's been showing as a through road for the last 15 years on Google. It's not. It's fallen off the side of a hill in the middle. Nothing like a surprise when you drive!

Old 03-24-2018, 03:47 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,807,785 times
Yes in case the Russians shoot down the GPS satellites.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,946 posts, read 54,699,880 times
I recently traded in a 2007, and cleaning it out found several old maps. We hadnít used them in years, because despite no gos the phones had navigation. I threw them out. The new replacement has gps with 8Ē screen, so we would never use the maps, and they were way out of date anyway with so much growth since they were produced. Besides gps, you can always use google maps or get other actual maps on your phone or iPad when traveling. Itís a lot easier to just press a button on the steering wheel and tell the car where you want to go.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,708 posts, read 40,113,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I recently traded in a 2007, ... Itís a lot easier to just press a button on the steering wheel and tell the car where you want to go.
Will be even easier with AI, when you put your Tesla in 'Follow-that-guy' mode, and you will actually know where their destination is.

Last trip in Germany our 'Tesla' host was keen on 'Follow-that-guy' mode, but I always wondered where we might end up.

It worked out, cuz I didn't know where I wanted to go anyway!

Old 03-25-2018, 11:29 PM

1,813 posts, read 817,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Will be even easier with AI, when you put your Tesla in 'Follow-that-guy' mode, and you will actually know where their destination is.

Last trip in Germany our 'Tesla' host was keen on 'Follow-that-guy' mode, but I always wondered where we might end up.

It worked out, cuz I didn't know where I wanted to go anyway!
The guy could be scared to death.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:37 AM

4,334 posts, read 2,553,984 times
I always have an atlas in the car. I enjoy looking at maps and seeing the bigger picture. I prefer county or state routes to the interstate. Also, maybe I'll find something interesting off to the side that I would never know was there if I was just mindlessly following the GPS directions.

Plus I'm a cartographer .

Old 03-26-2018, 01:59 PM

5,453 posts, read 2,782,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The guy could be scared to death.
Or lost!

Old 03-27-2018, 10:04 AM

30,348 posts, read 27,856,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Of course. One can't 100% rely on gadgets. Phone could get lost, GPS signal could drop out, phone battery could run out. There are too many uncertain situations where you would appreciate having a paper road map.
Electronic devices just love to fail when you need them most.

When planning a trip, a paper road map or atlas is helpful because it provides the big picture. They are particularly useful in helping to understand scale and distance visually. Getting to grips with the surrounding landscape is easier with a paper map too Ė itís easy to get lost in a small screen.
A paper map also may allow you to view a variety of routes and types of roads to compare

I almost never venture into the wilderness with a GPS unit as my only means of navigation. Just as we all travel with a spare tire and a set of jumper leads, even the most ardent technophiles carry a basic paper map as a backup.
^^^ Great answer!
I enjoy the GPS while in the car moving however at night while in the hotel/motel room I'll use a map and get the great picture of what isn't seen on the GPS screen. It's amazing how much you can miss if you don't have a paper map giving you more interesting informative details of your trip and routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or