U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 11:16 PM

7,312 posts, read 4,180,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
You must have stock in Garmin! As to the batteries question.....not all cars have usb ports.

And yes, maps work no matter where you are at no matter what.
Even if your car doesn't have a USB port it does have a 12 volt power outlet. You can always plug a USB port into that. As for Garmin stock, I have none. But I was using a Garmin GPS long before I had vehicles with onboard navigation. But even so, I still use a Garmin when I travel through Canada so at least something displays the speed in kph. And we also use the Garmin when traveling and driving a rental. That's when we really need a GPS, because most likely we're in unfamiliar territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 04:57 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,969,047 times
We use Garmin in the states and Europe, but in Europe I print out our maps ahead of time before the trip to help us.

My one silly regret at 58 is that all those years before Garmin (we have traveled a lot) I did not highlight my atlas on the routes and places we had been. It would have been a nice keepsake to look back on at this stage of my life.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We use Garmin in the states and Europe, but in Europe I print out our maps ahead of time before the trip to help us.

My one silly regret at 58 is that all those years before Garmin (we have traveled a lot) I did not highlight my atlas on the routes and places we had been. It would have been a nice keepsake to look back on at this stage of my life.
When I first started out my career as aircrew in the Air National Guard I was advised to keep a log of all my flights, so if there was ever a pay problem I could dispute it. That never happened, but I have 17 years worth of weekly planners with every mission I ever flew on. Now I can go through them and relive all those trips that took me all over the world to about 45 different countries. They'll definitely come with me to the retirement home if it ever comes to that!

Old 04-12-2018, 07:15 PM

7,187 posts, read 11,244,324 times
I have the ADC map book for the state of NC in my daily driver.

I never know when I may be "on the road" and the gps only shows "so much".

I like to be able to see the big picture in the map book when I go to an unfamiliar destination.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:57 PM

75 posts, read 30,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
That's the first thing I do when I move someplace new. When I was back in Minnesota, I used to drive all over just to set a giant map in my head. My mom would get furious and tell me to stick to the roads I knew because I was going to get lost. I was trying to tell her I wasn't really lost - I always knew where I was generally, but sometimes I was just unfamiliar with how to get someplace. Lost just means looking over significant territory.

My cousin who was 50 at the time and still lived in the same neighborhood she grew up in, used to tell me she only knew one way to get to her work and back and that she stuck to the main roads. Why do people do that? Aren't they the least bit curious about the areas around them?
I mapped out Charlotte by using a map with a compass, and starting out to a point or a place. I would drive to a big mall or something like that. I did not worry about getting lost, because I knew that I would find my way again.

I would drive the major routes just to get a feel of them, then I would take off on the side routes. To this day, I can drive in Charlotte, and I know my way around there. And I left in 1989, I can look at the new freeways on a map, and I know where they go.

I used the same technique that you used, and I had people tell me the same thing. And I ignored them, because when I was in the Army, they would send me into terra incognita, and I had to find my own way.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Motor View Post
I used the same technique that you used, and I had people tell me the same thing. And I ignored them, because when I was in the Army, they would send me into terra incognita, and I had to find my own way.
Nowadays the army gives their soldiers handheld GPS units so they can determine their position and find a route to get where they need to go. It's OK to join the 21st century. Really, it is OK.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:02 PM

33,937 posts, read 42,228,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Nowadays the army gives their soldiers handheld GPS units so they can determine their position and find a route to get where they need to go. It's OK to join the 21st century. Really, it is OK.
Charting a New Course: Celestial Navigation Returns to USNA

Old 04-14-2018, 07:47 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,405,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^ Great answer!
I enjoy the GPS while in the car moving however at night while in the hotel/motel room I'll use a map and get the great picture of what isn't seen on the GPS screen. It's amazing how much you can miss if you don't have a paper map giving you more interesting informative details of your trip and routes.
Me too

Old 04-14-2018, 07:52 PM

4,002 posts, read 1,126,799 times
Our car comes with built in GPS. We love it and use it all the time. We also have a half dozen maps in case the GPS goes down. In the year that we have owned the car, we have never had occasion to pull out a paper map, but I'm not getting rid of them!

Old 04-14-2018, 07:55 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,405,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
Yes I do.....Only use the GPS when looking for a specific restaurant, address, etc. Maps are totally awesome!
Love maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or