U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 07:47 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,197,435 times

Advertisements

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2017/01/12/...iscovered-2016
Here's items that the TSA confiscated in 2016. Would you have felt comfortable with these items on your plane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 07:57 AM

9,893 posts, read 5,079,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
Im sorry they treated you like that...... I have read the TSA treats most people very badly.... They just do it to see how much people will let them get away with.....
You've read wrong.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:51 AM

151 posts, read 63,065 times
I would never complain about TSA doing its job. I'd rather they do more than stand around talking to each other. Their objective is to keep us safe from terrorists on airlines. I've been pulled out of line for various minor issues but, I was told by TSA why and that was enough for me. As far as the elderly in wheelchairs (and babies in strollers) go, a stranger may have planted something in the wheelchair or stroller without the person/parent knowing so I'm all for not giving them a free pass. When I used to work in retail, the people that stole the most items were people using wheelchairs and baby strollers so that's why I agree with TSA.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:03 AM

11,043 posts, read 4,024,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
Went from Las Vegas to Houston last month. Coming back from Houston was easy and very professional. Getting out of Las Vegas was just short of having a colonoscopy.

I agree, they are way more aggressive at Las Vegas than any other airport I've been to and that includes Chicago's airports which are way busier!

I'm pretty sure there are no age limits as I've even seen little kids go through screening.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:44 AM

22,805 posts, read 28,926,951 times
OP is convinced that all the scummy terroists draw the line at hiding explosives or weapons in a wheel chair or baby stroller.

Never mind that they will send explosives hidden on their own wives or children, they blow up large groups of people indiscriminately. They use animals to carry bombs, they bomb school children. But it is against their ethics to blow up an elderly lady and her wheel chair? They are too kind to do something like that?

I've been pulled out for a pat down and I make a few pleasant comments and the TSA agent has always been very pleasant in return. The agent is just doing their job. There is no reason for the passenger to be snarky and unpleasant. Just get it over with with a minimum of fuss.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:48 AM

14,187 posts, read 6,464,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
In my eyes, it was harassment. I was at the Houston Hobby airport and was selected for a trial pre-TSA line, where I didnít have to stand in a long line. Maybe it was because I didnít have any carry-ons or merely selected at random? I STILL had to stand in the RAPESCAN to be searched and then selected again for a friskdown, but didnít have to remove my shoes. I was shocked to see them frisk an elderly lady in a wheelchair who had to be at least in her 80s. When I got to the line, all he did was a pat down of my shoulders! I thought that they werenít supposed to be concerned with those 75 years and up?
Shrug, I have to go to the airport for work a few times a year & I've gotten the intimate pat down too. Big deal. I don't understand how anyone could have a problem w/measures taken to try to ensure a safe flight.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:55 AM

10,171 posts, read 7,115,331 times
People who cant get out of their wheelchairs get the full pat down, wiped and scanned for explosives, etc. It takes 10 minutes. They used to get just a quick pat down...but times have changed.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:49 PM

5,851 posts, read 4,880,982 times
If you don't like the security procedures, get TSA pre-check status. It's very simple. I have it. For the most part it makes going through security faster and easier. No taking off shoes, or belts, no removing your 3-1-1 plastic bag, no laptop or tablets need to be pulled out. Occasionally, or if travelling internationally, you still have to do the pat down or the cartoon x-ray. It's just part of flying. Get used to it, or don't fly. Quit whining.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:00 PM

1,117 posts, read 994,606 times
That is the problem with America. People have made a practice of just getting it over with, or putting up with it, every time our liberty is infringed. I quit flying after 9/11 not because I am afraid of the muzzies blowing me out of the sky, but because I will not tolerate being treated like a terrorist when it is very clear who the terrorists are. In addition, it would not end well if I saw an elderly person or small child being touched inappropriately. So I avoid the entire mess. Just doing ones job is not an excuse for inappropriate behavior. Ask anyone left who was at Nuremberg.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:12 PM

11,043 posts, read 4,024,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
That is the problem with America. People have made a practice of just getting it over with, or putting up with it, every time our liberty is infringed. I quit flying after 9/11 not because I am afraid of the muzzies blowing me out of the sky, but because I will not tolerate being treated like a terrorist when it is very clear who the terrorists are. In addition, it would not end well if I saw an elderly person or small child being touched inappropriately. So I avoid the entire mess. Just doing ones job is not an excuse for inappropriate behavior. Ask anyone left who was at Nuremberg.
Unfortunately not flying isn't an option for all. My DH flies every other week for work. If he refused he would be out of a job. He tells me of stories that TSA does at different airports. Some we agree are ridiculous and some we agree are necessary. At any rate, this is what we have to put up with if we want or need to fly. Everything is now filmed so if one feels they were touch inappropriately they can prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel