U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:59 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,643,583 times

Advertisements

I’ve come across several nasty tsa agents here and overseas and figured they were jaded, tired or stressed and one just a jerk but I let it go because I want to be safe when I get on that plane whether it’s a domestic or international flight. I don’t agree the woman was harassed, the tsa is complying with security standards. Why would you think age is a pass for security checks.? The screening procedures change after a certain age and infirmity but they don’t get a pass.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-p...s-75-and-older
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 05:12 PM

2,393 posts, read 912,016 times
Evidently the OP is clueless as to the extent criminals go to snuggle contraband. I've personally seen the elderly used, knowingly or not, as mules.
The TSA is doing their job and I am grateful and thankful that they are.
Civilians such as yourself and others are clueless. So glad I'm retired now because the snowflakes are out there in droves now.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:04 PM

9,377 posts, read 6,261,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
Went from Las Vegas to Houston last month. Coming back from Houston was easy and very professional. Getting out of Las Vegas was just short of having a colonoscopy.
Vegas is the worst

Old 03-25-2018, 05:47 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,171,341 times
Someone in a wheelchair might be old or not quite with it to see shady things going on behind them, in their belongings, etc.

Someone could plant some kind of device or drugs in the wheelchair or pretend to assist him/her and plant something in their clothes or carry-on. For this very reason, everyone should be checked, no exemptions.

I know no method of security at an airport is fail safe, but I'd rather "feel" safe than think the security isn't at least doing the best they can to ensure safety on a flight.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:15 AM

10,290 posts, read 4,868,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is what the men who hijacked the planes on 9/11 looked like.

https://www.history.com/topics/9-11-...cted-hijackers

If I were trying to prevent future such hijackings, I would profile. I would build profiles similar to these men. Race certainly wouldn't be the only factor, but yes it would be a factor. And it makes more sense than the kind of politically correct nonsense that goes on at every airport terminal in the USA 24/7.

Spending the same amount of time screening the 21 year old single man from abroad and a 75 year old woman who is in a wheelchair and lives in Middle Town, USA is poor use of resources and could only happen in the USA I am convinced.

I am tired of the argument that since anything could conceivably happen virtually any kind of pre-screening and security are justified.

TSA is a $7 billion a year boondoggle.

I agree. The TSA is afraid of being politically incorrect by profiling which is ridiculous. Yeah, sure the 75 year old woman in the wheelchair could be in disguise and she's really a 40 year old Muslim man......

Old 03-25-2018, 07:32 AM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Evidently the OP is clueless as to the extent criminals go to snuggle contraband. I've personally seen the elderly used, knowingly or not, as mules.
The TSA is doing their job and I am grateful and thankful that they are.
Civilians such as yourself and others are clueless. So glad I'm retired now because the snowflakes are out there in droves now.
Snuggle contraband?

The TSA exists to make airlines safe from hijacking and bombing, not to prevent smuggling. That 90 IQ TSA employee manning the X-Ray machine isn't going to pick out the kilo of cocaine in my bag because they don't work at the foreign airports where smuggled goods originate.

I fly pretty much weekly. I'm kind of glad you're retired, can't afford airline tickets, and aren't in my way clogging up the TSA Pre line with your belt buckle triggering the metal detector and your water bottle triggering the bag search. Civilians like me pay for people like you.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:42 AM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
What an arrogant and racist comment.

I am dark-skinned but not a Muslim. In fact, my people have been victims of Islamic terror. Are you saying that I am automatically more suspicious than white people because of my skin colour? Are you freakin serious right now?
Immediately after 9/11, I had a number of Indian co-workers who got massively harassed by airport security. Brown person. Must be an Arab Muslim about to suicide bomb an airplane. Racism is fueled by ignorance and the TSA isn't exactly staffed by Ivy League grads.

I wrote earlier in this thread that Israel has a compulsory draft. They put the brightest of their 20-somethings in airport security doing screening and profiling for their service. The TSA hires low quality people. Anyone with a few firing neurons can slip through their feeble screening and wreak all the havoc they want. It's pretty much 100% ineffective cosmetic bureaucracy.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:30 AM

15,909 posts, read 6,260,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
In my eyes, it was harassment. I was at the Houston Hobby airport and was selected for a trial pre-TSA line, where I didnít have to stand in a long line. Maybe it was because I didnít have any carry-ons or merely selected at random? I STILL had to stand in the RAPESCAN to be searched and then selected again for a friskdown, but didnít have to remove my shoes. I was shocked to see them frisk an elderly lady in a wheelchair who had to be at least in her 80s. When I got to the line, all he did was a pat down of my shoulders! I thought that they werenít supposed to be concerned with those 75 years and up?
For more TSA horrors see:

1. Holocaust survivor Eva Mozes Kor: TSA put me through "demeaning" body search
  2. Should People Be More Questioning of Ridiculous Restrictions and Protest Those More?
  3. Security Theater v. Profiling - Are Blocked Streets Warranted?.
  4. Disabled St. Jude patient sues airport and TSA.
And a few quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Maybe it's only 5% f the community that's violent. If so that's still an awful lot of people when you consider the 1.3 billion Muslims worldwide. We've tied ourselves up in knots at airports and office buildings. Internal security (theater) only goes so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa
For the past 16 years we have been "rectifying" 911 by tying our cities and airports into knots with security theater. To what end? (link)

Old 03-25-2018, 12:49 PM

3,442 posts, read 1,532,968 times
I don't mean this to be a stupid question, but what good is a pat-down (which I get ALL the time due to artificial joints) when a woman could hide something pretty large in fake boobs or fake preggo belly? When the woman pats me down, she doesn't squeeze the goods to see if they are real. But they are worried about a couple bucks in my pocket....???

Old 03-25-2018, 01:55 PM

9,804 posts, read 5,012,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't mean this to be a stupid question, but what good is a pat-down (which I get ALL the time due to artificial joints) when a woman could hide something pretty large in fake boobs or fake preggo belly? When the woman pats me down, she doesn't squeeze the goods to see if they are real. But they are worried about a couple bucks in my pocket....???
They do use the back of their hand to pat around breasts and certainly pat around the midsection. Certainly enough to be able to tell if someone is wearing fake boobs or a fake belly.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel