U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 01:57 PM

218 posts, read 86,887 times

Advertisements

We had a situation years ago where we cleared TSA at Laguardia, changed planes in Chicago and had to go back through security after going outside the secured area during a weather driven lengthy layover. One carry on had a problem and was x-rayed three times, each time preceded by an two agents rummaging through the bag.

Finally, my wife was allowed to go through the bag and found the offender, an electric toothbrush if I recall correctly. After removing it, the bag passed.

But she had also pulled out a small pocket knife missed in New York and missed three times by O'Hare TSA. I was threatened with being sent downstairs to a cell if it measured over three inches. It didn't. And they refused to believe NY had missed it. This in the face of their own multiple failures!

Any surprise they fail to find weapons in test runs something like 95% of the time?
Little people with big power.

Meanwhile, employees, some with criminal backgrounds, are allowed to go from the buildings to the tarmac unchecked.

Yeah, more government's the answer to all problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 05:19 PM

17,291 posts, read 10,206,664 times
Ever since some young punk TSA screener implied that he would have beaten me up, at San Francisco airport 10 years ago, for taking too slow to go through the line (wasn't even my fault, I was following the direction of another screener who told me to stand there and don't go through the line), I had a dim view of the kind of neanderthals that are drawn to that job.

I make it a point never to judge others on their employment, but I make an exception for TSA.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:36 PM

7,868 posts, read 2,288,373 times
do what you're told or walk, it's easy. Flying is a privilege

Old 03-28-2018, 10:30 AM

3,615 posts, read 1,560,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This isn't correct.

There is always a TSA agent who checks IDs and compares it to name on boarding pass right at the entrance to the security line. Customs/Immigration handles incoming international passengers, TSA handles access to the secure areas of the airport which always involves showing an ID and a boarding pass.
Of course they do ID check , but that doesnt mean they are checking if they are citizens. Not all going through the gates are American citizens or carry US Passport.

However in order to get that ID( DL) you still have to prove you are legally present in the country.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:37 AM

3,615 posts, read 1,560,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Immediately after 9/11, I had a number of Indian co-workers who got massively harassed by airport security. Brown person. Must be an Arab Muslim about to suicide bomb an airplane. Racism is fueled by ignorance and the TSA isn't exactly staffed by Ivy League grads.

I wrote earlier in this thread that Israel has a compulsory draft. They put the brightest of their 20-somethings in airport security doing screening and profiling for their service. The TSA hires low quality people. Anyone with a few firing neurons can slip through their feeble screening and wreak all the havoc they want. It's pretty much 100% ineffective cosmetic bureaucracy.
That continues even today. If you have a Muslim name you are screened extra. Even a former Indian President was subject to that.

However I dont blame the TSA. They are as powerless as the passengers in terms of having real power.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:55 AM

13,678 posts, read 13,598,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
'Flying' may not be a 'right', but traveling throughout the country *is*. Airlines are private transportation companies, the taxpayers should not be supporting government security services on their behalf. Security services should be solely the purview of the transportation company, and associated costs born entirely by the passengers paying for the service.
It became an issue of national security and public safety when two planes got flown into the towers and thousands of people on the ground died. Sorry, but I don't want the scanners and personnel to be reporting to the private companies that depend on their ability to get people onto their planes.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:08 AM

15,910 posts, read 6,264,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Must be an Arab Muslim about to suicide bomb an airplane. Racism is fueled by ignorance...
I don't think it's racism to heed public pronouncements of influential leaders of any group if that group declares itself at war with the West, or for that matter supporters of Israel, or any other state allied to the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel