Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:04 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,082 times

Advertisements

In my eyes, it was harassment. I was at the Houston Hobby airport and was selected for a trial pre-TSA line, where I didn’t have to stand in a long line. Maybe it was because I didn’t have any carry-ons or merely selected at random? I STILL had to stand in the RAPESCAN to be searched and then selected again for a friskdown, but didn’t have to remove my shoes. I was shocked to see them frisk an elderly lady in a wheelchair who had to be at least in her 80s. When I got to the line, all he did was a pat down of my shoulders! I thought that they weren’t supposed to be concerned with those 75 years and up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:53 AM

277 posts, read 291,098 times
Went from Las Vegas to Houston last month. Coming back from Houston was easy and very professional. Getting out of Las Vegas was just short of having a colonoscopy.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:13 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
In my eyes, it was harassment. I was at the Houston Hobby airport and was selected for a trial pre-TSA line, where I didn’t have to stand in a long line. Maybe it was because I didn’t have any carry-ons or merely selected at random? I STILL had to stand in the RAPESCAN to be searched and then selected again for a friskdown, but didn’t have to remove my shoes. I was shocked to see them frisk an elderly lady in a wheelchair who had to be at least in her 80s. When I got to the line, all he did was a pat down of my shoulders! I thought that they weren’t supposed to be concerned with those 75 years and up?
You thought wrong.

If someone in a wheelchair can't stand long enough to go through the scanner, they don't get an automatic pass. They get patted down. It's not harassment. It's SOP.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:50 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You thought wrong.

If someone in a wheelchair can't stand long enough to go through the scanner, they don't get an automatic pass. They get patted down. It's not harassment. It's SOP.
Perhaps, so. The question though that needs to be asked is why such a person doesn't get an automatic pass?

The reply is probably: Welllll.....there is always the possibility that an eighty year old man in a wheel chair might be smuggling a bomb on board a plane.

No one asks the question though how much of a risk this is. Its obviously a very slender risk.

This is the problem with TSA and its rules. I think it would be wise to focus more of the resources that exist on young men and women in their twenties particularly who are not of a white Caucasian background. Statistics would tell us that is where the most likely risk to airline security exists.

Its the refusal to adopt this kind of strategy that makes me think of TSA as a bunch of keystone cops.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:14 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Perhaps, so. The question though that needs to be asked is why such a person doesn't get an automatic pass?

The reply is probably: Welllll.....there is always the possibility that an eighty year old man in a wheel chair might be smuggling a bomb on board a plane.

No one asks the question though how much of a risk this is. Its obviously a very slender risk.
It's a slender risk because people know that passengers in wheelchairs get patted down. Once it becomes common knowledge that they get an automatic pass, that risk would jump exponentially.

Quote:
This is the problem with TSA and its rules. I think it would be wise to focus more of the resources that exist on young men and women in their twenties particularly who are not of a white Caucasian background. Statistics would tell us that is where the most likely risk to airline security exists.
As soon as they focus the resources on a particular demographic, it becomes easier for threats to become real. All they have to do is find a blonde Sally-Anne Jones to sashay through security.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:44 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
I STILL had to stand in the RAPESCAN to be searched and then selected again for a friskdown, but didn’t have to remove my shoes.
Using the word "rapescan" to describe a machine gives the impression you're someone itching for a reason to find injustice and feel like a victim. Congrats, you succeeded with:

Quote:
I was shocked to see them frisk an elderly lady in a wheelchair who had to be at least in her 80s. When I got to the line, all he did was a pat down of my shoulders! I thought that they weren’t supposed to be concerned with those 75 years and up?
It is TSA regulations to do a pat-down and inspect the wheel chair of people passing through security who cannot stand up to pass through the scanning devices. I don't know of any dictionary that defines "harassment" as following the procedures they are supposed to follow.

As far as giving a free pass to elderly people in wheelchairs: Passengers freed on hijacked Colombian jet - World news - Americas | NBC News

Attorney General Mario Iguaran said the elder Ramirez led the hijacking and if convicted faces 25 to 40 years in prison for aggravated hijacking of an aircraft. He expressed sympathy for the man’s case, but added: “Unfortunately he has to be brought to justice.” The drama riveted Colombians as it unfolded on their radios and television sets. They listened to one hostage, while still on the plane, describe the scene in a furtive cell phone conversation with local RCN radio.

“They have indicated to us they have explosives,” Reinaldo Duque, one of the hostages, said in a hushed voice. Duque said the older hijacker boarded the plane in a wheelchair. It may have helped him smuggle the grenades aboard. The wheelchair was too large to pass through an airport metal detector, and the man was not patted down by security agents, Luis Octavio Rojas, director of the Florencia airport, told The Associated Press. “But they did give him and the chair a visual inspection,” Rojas added.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:49 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
In other words TSA was doing it's job.

I mean, I am not one to defend the TSA, I complain about them, but I don't see this as harassment at all, where was the harassment?
There are "harassment" stories that one can get outraged at. This is not one of them.
Much of it is indeed random. You thought wrong, even the elderly as subject to inspection from time to time although I think they make some allowances.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:14 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times
I think the rules say that people over 75 do not have to take off their shoes (it's harder to bend over at that age)

Old 03-23-2018, 03:06 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Because we're stupid and will surely perish?

Try airport security in Tel Aviv. They profile. I've had easier job interviews than the airport security screening questions I usually get in Tel Aviv. They have compulsory service (a draft). The smart ones work airport security. The more you trigger their profiling, the harder they screen. Fluent in Hebrew? It's quick.

TSA Pre is supposed to fix all this in the US but it doesn't.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
Easy answer!!!

People who consider the scanners "Rape Scans" or patting someone down is harassment can choose not to fly!

Flying is not a right. If you don't like the precautions needed to make sure everyone on the flight is safe, do not buy a ticket. It is a choice.

I enjoy flying. The security stuff is a bit annoying but not a big deal. I have been selected for additional security checks a few times and did not see it as overly invasive or any threat to my rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel