Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 03:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
In my eyes, it was harassment. I was at the Houston Hobby airport and was selected for a trial pre-TSA line, where I didn’t have to stand in a long line. Maybe it was because I didn’t have any carry-ons or merely selected at random? I STILL had to stand in the RAPESCAN to be searched and then selected again for a friskdown, but didn’t have to remove my shoes. I was shocked to see them frisk an elderly lady in a wheelchair who had to be at least in her 80s. When I got to the line, all he did was a pat down of my shoulders! I thought that they weren’t supposed to be concerned with those 75 years and up?
You thought wrong! It's so easy to hide something in a wheelchair. The elderly are typically very unsuspecting and can easily be used to send something through security. Everyone gets searched who goes through security and only a handful don't go through security like airport employees because they've already gone through a huge screening process. Most employees don't have access to the planes. The flight crews usually go through security without trouble, but I have watched them get searched as well which seemed odd, but hey better safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 04:10 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
I am disabled and I don't go through the Machine. I get wanded and patted down and it is no big deal.The one time I was really put out was after all that when I got pulled aside, by ticket number, and they searched my carry on. The problem I had was they did this just as the plane started loading. So by the time I got to load the plane was nearly full and it was much harder for me, then the usual pre-boarding for wheelchair patrons. Again, not harassment but it was a PITA, none the less.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:30 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
[quote=markg91359;51399159]Perhaps, so. The question though that needs to be asked is why such a person doesn't get an automatic pass?

The reply is probably: Welllll.....there is always the possibility that an eighty year old man in a wheel chair might be smuggling a bomb on board a plane.

No one asks the question though how much of a risk this is. Its obviously a very slender risk.

This is the problem with TSA and its rules. I think it would be wise to focus more of the resources that exist on young men and women in their twenties particularly who are not of a white Caucasian background. Statistics would tell us that is where the most likely risk to airline security exists.

Its the refusal to adopt this kind of strategy that makes me think of TSA as a bunch of keystone cops.[/QUOTE

So you think that any American of black, Hispanic or Asian should be considered to be high risks? No matter your obvious narrow attitudes, we are ALL Americans!

Old 03-23-2018, 05:05 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Using the word "rapescan" to describe a machine gives the impression you're someone itching for a reason to find injustice and feel like a victim. Congrats, you succeeded

]
Agree!!

Old 03-23-2018, 06:44 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Easy answer!!!

People who consider the scanners "Rape Scans" or patting someone down is harassment can choose not to fly!

Flying is not a right. If you don't like the precautions needed to make sure everyone on the flight is safe, do not buy a ticket. It is a choice.

I enjoy flying. The security stuff is a bit annoying but not a big deal. I have been selected for additional security checks a few times and did not see it as overly invasive or any threat to my rights.
'Flying' may not be a 'right', but traveling throughout the country *is*. Airlines are private transportation companies, the taxpayers should not be supporting government security services on their behalf. Security services should be solely the purview of the transportation company, and associated costs born entirely by the passengers paying for the service.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:48 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think it would be wise to focus more of the resources that exist on young men and women in their twenties particularly who are not of a white Caucasian background. Statistics would tell us that is where the most likely risk to airline security exists.

What an arrogant and racist comment.

I am dark-skinned but not a Muslim. In fact, my people have been victims of Islamic terror. Are you saying that I am automatically more suspicious than white people because of my skin colour? Are you freakin serious right now?

Did you notice the races of the people who committed terror attacks in Vegas, in Austin and in New York? Yeah, all white.

From my perspective, there are two demographics who need to be profiled:

1. White people.
2. Muslims (who can be of any race, so impossible to identify by appearance unless they choose to exhibit it through their clothing choices)

Sorry if the truth hurts.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:39 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
What an arrogant and racist comment.

I am dark-skinned but not a Muslim. In fact, my people have been victims of Islamic terror. Are you saying that I am automatically more suspicious than white people because of my skin colour? Are you freakin serious right now?

Did you notice the races of the people who committed terror attacks in Vegas, in Austin and in New York? Yeah, all white.

From my perspective, there are two demographics who need to be profiled:

1. White people.
2. Muslims (who can be of any race, so impossible to identify by appearance unless they choose to exhibit it through their clothing choices)

Sorry if the truth hurts.
This is what the men who hijacked the planes on 9/11 looked like.

https://www.history.com/topics/9-11-...cted-hijackers

If I were trying to prevent future such hijackings, I would profile. I would build profiles similar to these men. Race certainly wouldn't be the only factor, but yes it would be a factor. And it makes more sense than the kind of politically correct nonsense that goes on at every airport terminal in the USA 24/7.

Spending the same amount of time screening the 21 year old single man from abroad and a 75 year old woman who is in a wheelchair and lives in Middle Town, USA is poor use of resources and could only happen in the USA I am convinced.

I am tired of the argument that since anything could conceivably happen virtually any kind of pre-screening and security are justified.

TSA is a $7 billion a year boondoggle.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is what the men who hijacked the planes on 9/11 looked like.

https://www.history.com/topics/9-11-...cted-hijackers

If I were trying to prevent future such hijackings, I would profile. I would build profiles similar to these men. Race certainly wouldn't be the only factor, but yes it would be a factor. And it makes more sense than the kind of politically correct nonsense that goes on at every airport terminal in the USA 24/7.

Spending the same amount of time screening the 21 year old single man from abroad and a 75 year old woman who is in a wheelchair and lives in Middle Town, USA is poor use of resources and could only happen in the USA I am convinced.
1. Those men were all Arabs. There is a difference between screening "all non-Caucasian people" and "Arabs". (Excuse my political incorrectness). Or are you unable to distinguish between Arabic-looking folks and other brown folk?

2. TSA folks do not check passports or citizenship. How the hell are they to know if a 21 year old single man is American or not? How are they to know if the wheelchair lady is American or not? Only airline, immigration and customs agents check passports and ID, not TSA.

Next time, think your comments through, man.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:56 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
2. TSA folks do not check passports or citizenship. How the hell are they to know if a 21 year old single man is American or not? How are they to know if the wheelchair lady is American or not? Only airline, immigration and customs agents check passports and ID, not TSA.
This isn't correct.

There is always a TSA agent who checks IDs and compares it to name on boarding pass right at the entrance to the security line. Customs/Immigration handles incoming international passengers, TSA handles access to the secure areas of the airport which always involves showing an ID and a boarding pass.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:33 AM

911 posts, read 262,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester
Went from Las Vegas to Houston last month. Coming back from Houston was easy and very professional. Getting out of Las Vegas was just short of having a colonoscopy.
Im sorry they treated you like that...... I have read the TSA treats most people very badly.... They just do it to see how much people will let them get away with.....

Have they EVER stopped someone at a TSA checkpoint with something amiss? (I dont think they have (Not that I have heard))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel