U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:16 PM

18 posts, read 8,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Are u just planning to drive and film and nothing else??

How bout meals, how bout sleep, how bout baths or showers, how bout major traffic jams, how bout rest stops, how bout fuel stops, how bout flat tires or anything else that can occur on a trip like that??

Are your bosses in the third grade?????

Are you a troll????

Just wondering.........
I am literally not joking and totally serious. 8000 miles in 2 weeks is nuts and I told my boss that...I got a shrug. I can understand a coast to coast with a few stops along the way or at the end. Guess the company doesn't mind how long I take, it's the "actor" that is only available for 2 weeks. I'm fighting to get 3 weeks or more. I want to make this a success!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Nutty itinerary if you want to know the truth. Cut out half the cities inc. Anchorage & you could do it.
Wish I could, we have predetermined locations we have to go to. Though it seems like my boss said we can cut a few out if need be.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Urgh. Too much is indeed the word for this itinerary over two weeks. How much time had you planned to spend in each city? Because you unfortunately wonít be able to linger anyplace at all.

And the only thing youíll be filming/photographing is the inside of the car and interstate highway because youíll be driving so much. Canít imagine thatís going to make for an exciting visual document.

I wouldnít do it, myself.
I gotta do it one way or another and do my best to make it a success. Though if it fails, it's not on me, it's to the managers that don't think realistically. They get what they pay for and I won't sacrifice my safety. Either way, it's better than sitting in an office all the time.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:43 PM

895 posts, read 2,556,648 times
Whats the reason for this long trip in such a short time..Its a 8 hour drive from Sacramento to Salem on I-5 and from Los Angles to Seattle is a good 2 1/2 days and your blowing threw some beautiful scenery..I think all of here are wishing you safe travels and let us know that you make it safely...

Old 03-26-2018, 11:19 PM

278 posts, read 152,328 times
I've driven from Massachusetts to Alaska almost on my own (DH took one 2-hour driving stint on the first day and decided he wasn't up to it) and it took 10 days. We spent four nights in motels and other than that slept in the car whenever I got tired. It was about 4500 miles; you're looking at something close to 8000. While I'd say it's technically possible, it will be exhausting. You basically won't have any time to stop; how do you feel about sleeping in the vehicle at rest stops with someone who's pretty much a stranger?

If this trip is any time in the next two months, you'll potentially be hitting treacherous conditions in the Rockies, both in the US and when you head north from Seattle. Count on the drive through Canada to Anchorage taking 4 days by itself; you don't want to be on that road in the dark if you can at all help it. You'll also find very few places open along the way for gas, food, and lodging this early in the year, and there are long stretches where you may not have cell reception.

Honestly, while it's a gorgeous drive, I would push to knock Anchorage off the itinerary. Without it you just may have a chance. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2018, 06:30 AM

5,328 posts, read 3,351,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
Can this be done safely in 2 weeks with driving that much? Most I've ever done is 6 hours at a time for 2 days. I will have another guy/actor with me that will be splitting driving time, thank goodness.
Are you scouting locations for the next The Amazing Race?

Please tell me it's not for some crazy web series called Where in the US is Logan Paul!

Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 AM

1,036 posts, read 525,329 times
I’ve driven from Anchorage to Ohio in six days, and it was intense - 10-12 hours days on average, including the normal stops. The northern part especially is tough because timing stopping points along the Alcan is somewhat limited. I think we had a fourteen hour day in there trying to get to Dawson.

In three weeks that could be a nice trip. In two you’d pushing it very much.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:28 AM

10,494 posts, read 4,200,081 times
I wonder if you could post this on a trucker forum. This is what they do, this kind of schedule, but then the aren't traveling to get to the actual destination of their work - traveling IS the work. I think you could do the driving, since you have someone to share with, but then when's the time to do the quality filming?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:34 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,606,212 times
Listen, I used to do exactly for a living what you are going to do on this itinerary. The reality is that even if you were just driving without stopping you probably wouldn't be able to do this, stopping & shooting with all that entails even on a no budget production 2 man gig, you are setting yourself up for a fail. Plus by the last third it will become dangerous from exhaustion as you cut corners from sleep, speeding, etc...

No matter what your footage will suffer & so will your reputation from those who will only be looking at the output. Trust me, it's a nutty notion what you are all revved up to do, edit the script in preproduction to something managable - use the actor in a few places & just shoot for a third week in the other places without him. 2 weeks for this as stands id dangerous to you as a person & to your rep.

Plus get a spine & tell your manager that you need to whittle down the script. You obviously have no idea how far away Anchorage is & how many days you will waste on just that one city. And all the rest aren't straight lines, no traffic, no problems either.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:12 AM

12,379 posts, read 18,479,880 times
You lost me at Anchorage....a bridge too far, waaayyyy to far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel