U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 AM

160 posts, read 285,754 times

Advertisements

Up the budget, get an airplane and rent cars, no way would I try HALF of that in two weeks. Especially no Alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 11:13 AM

2,610 posts, read 4,166,681 times
If you do try it, pick up a copy of The Milepost | Since 1949, The Bible of North Country Travel for the Seattle to Anchorage portion. And I wouldn't take the Cassiar. Stick to the traditional Alcan through Dawson Creek.
And every time (6 times now) I've driven it I've had a partner and we swapped out driving 24 hours a day. Only stop for gas and you can make Seattle to Anchorage in 3 days. But seriously, no stops other than to gas up. And since a lot stations won't be open 24 hours a day, carry at least 10 gallons of extra gas. And know that you will not have cell service for much of the drive. And you'll need a passport and be legal to enter Canada. And if you are doing this trip anywhere from September to May, be ready to encounter snow, possibly a lot. Have extra food and water in the car. And extra warm clothing easily accessible.
If you are going to be stopping to sleep, you'd better plan for at least a week to get here from Seattle.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:16 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,813,344 times
Do you have to have daylight in your destination cities? Because that adds a whole 'nother set of problems

Driving like you are planning with NO EXPERIENCE will likely get you both killed.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:25 AM

4,241 posts, read 8,078,290 times
What is the 'video' going to be, subject wise?
Hours of out the windshield shots?

As others have noted, trip points are overscheduled by ~ 30 to 50%, if one wants so see anything other than the windshield with very brief pit stops...
GL, mD

Old 03-27-2018, 12:06 PM

18 posts, read 8,157 times
Ok gents I appreciate the words of support and assistance. After pressuring my boss into thinking remotely realistic they have finally postponed the drive to June. That way we can schedule in a longer period to drive this route and get the footage I need. I can not divulge much info as some is confidential, but the key is 2 guys in a car traveling to various vendors that will modify the car along the way. Mods won't be crazy, but my job will be to film our journey around the continent.

I'm still going to push for a minimum of 3-4 weeks, a month preferably.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
Ok gents I appreciate the words of support and assistance. After pressuring my boss into thinking remotely realistic they have finally postponed the drive to June. That way we can schedule in a longer period to drive this route and get the footage I need. I can not divulge much info as some is confidential, but the key is 2 guys in a car traveling to various vendors that will modify the car along the way. Mods won't be crazy, but my job will be to film our journey around the continent.

I'm still going to push for a minimum of 3-4 weeks, a month preferably.
Lol, so not only do you need to schedule drive time for 8,000 miles, but you need to have actual modifications done to the car in 15 different cities? How long are these going to take? And they wanted this done in two weeks? It will about kill you to get it all done in a month, and is just preposterous in anything less than that for a non-professional driver.

So you get to a city at 3pm on a Saturday. Your targeted vendor is closed until Monday morning. A day and a half just thrown away. Now imagine the same any time you show up after 5 pm. The logistics are just laughably bad.

Have you considered a new boss? How much are you getting paid for this?

Oh, and how are you and the car getting back home?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:43 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Lol, so not only do you need to schedule drive time for 8,000 miles, but you need to have actual modifications done to the car in 15 different cities? How long are these going to take? And they wanted this done in two weeks? It will about kill you to get it all done in a month, and is just preposterous in anything less than that for a non-professional driver.

So you get to a city at 3pm on a Saturday. Your targeted vendor is closed until Monday morning. A day and a half just thrown away. Now imagine the same any time you show up after 5 pm. The logistics are just laughably bad.

Oh, those crazy reality TV producers/execs, what will they come up with next!

You need to have that unrealistic timeline and "fake" deadlines to add "drama" to the show, Reality TV 101.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:49 PM

18 posts, read 8,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post

I hear ya bud, it's gonna be crazy regardless. I'm going to do my best, but again not going to sacrifice my safety. We'll just have to go with the flow...

I don't know the exact stop yet, will get those soon though.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:34 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Your bosses should divide this trip into 2 parts with 2 people doing it. Or they should extend the time frame.

Even if I were younger and healthier I would not accept such an assignment and neither should you.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
I hear ya bud, it's gonna be crazy regardless. I'm going to do my best, but again not going to sacrifice my safety. We'll just have to go with the flow...

I don't know the exact stop yet, will get those soon though.
All I can say is good luck! And come on back to let us know how it's going when it does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel