U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 03:49 PM

8,608 posts, read 11,106,930 times

Advertisements

Just remember, if you're going to drive through Canada, you'll likely need filming permits, etc. and a carnet for the equipment.

Of course the simple solution is drive to Seattle (Bellingham actually) and take the ferry to Anchorage.

https://www.anchorage.net/plan-your-...laska/ferries/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 04:13 PM

18 posts, read 8,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
All I can say is good luck! And come on back to let us know how it's going when it does happen.
Will do sir!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Just remember, if you're going to drive through Canada, you'll likely need filming permits, etc. and a carnet for the equipment.

Of course the simple solution is drive to Seattle (Bellingham actually) and take the ferry to Anchorage.

https://www.anchorage.net/plan-your-...laska/ferries/
Hmm, it's not a full out production, but I will look into it. It's gonna just be me and a camera. What's a carnet?

Old 03-27-2018, 04:25 PM

8,608 posts, read 11,106,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
Hmm, it's not a full out production, but I will look into it. It's gonna just be me and a camera. What's a carnet?
Carnet is basically an import list of your equipment, but all on one document for customs purposes so you don't pay importation taxes for it's potential disposal.

https://www.atacarnet.com/what-carnet

It's generally for things that aren't personally owned, but owned by a company.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:26 PM

5,302 posts, read 3,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I get what you're saying, but when if comes to "YouTubers" how many, if any, actually get any filming permits whatsoever wherever they go, especially if you're a one-man show with a DSLR or smart phone for your recording?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:10 PM

4,484 posts, read 1,706,078 times
Just an observation, it looks like it's all on Interstates, and you will not see anything on an interstate that your future audience will be interested in seeing. They all look exactly the same.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I get what you're saying, but when if comes to "YouTubers" how many, if any, actually get any filming permits whatsoever wherever they go, especially if you're a one-man show with a DSLR or smart phone for your recording?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it is what it is.
There's a gray area for sure, I will see if I will need a permit at our various locations. Though other than our final stops we may not know where we'll end up

Old 03-27-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Just an observation, it looks like it's all on Interstates, and you will not see anything on an interstate that your future audience will be interested in seeing. They all look exactly the same.
The map I put up and the locations I listed are generalized waypoints where I may end up. Trust me I will make it a point to find the off the beaten path places. I want the best views and food.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:13 PM

9,188 posts, read 3,028,017 times
Who is the employer for this project? They are being very demanding and unrealistic, regarding the timetable. Since this is going to involve media arts, I'll say that you can't put a rush on art and expect good results.

If they are too low-budget to hire two drivers, besides you, the camera jock and the talent, you might wonder if you'll ever get paid for your work? The timetable should be stretched out to at least twice as long, just to Seattle. Best idea there, would be to put the vehicle on a ferry going to Anchorage. Roll a parallel video project into it, to shoot scenes on the voyage. And there are always plenty of good, unemployed actors available. It would be easy to find one who would be available for a longer period.

Driving that long highway to Anchorage, would be dangerous, because of the boredom/falling asleep at the wheel and the bear and moose that frequently cross in front of you. They often will make no effort to get out of your way. During the time of year you would be going, the insects would eat you alive, if you're not constantly protected.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-27-2018 at 09:23 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 09:25 PM

11,043 posts, read 4,011,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Do you have to have daylight in your destination cities? Because that adds a whole 'nother set of problems

Driving like you are planning with NO EXPERIENCE will likely get you both killed.
And don't under estimate driving when tired! My DH fell asleep at the wheel 4 years ago and has had to have five facial reconstructive surgeries to date with another coming up soon. He's lucky to be a live but it was life altering for all of us, not only on a monetary level but physically and emotionally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel