U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2018, 10:57 PM
 
1,314 posts, read 1,021,965 times
Reputation: 3398

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
New here to the forums, wish I had found it years ago...

I will be undertaking an endeavor for work that I don't think is safely possible. It's an amazing opportunity, but this will be far beyond what I've done in the past.

Don't have an exact route setup, but below is some of the major cities I will be passing through chronologically. Bear in mind I will be doing this trip in 2 weeks which so far is all that is given to me. I will also be filming and photographing the trip in a youtube/documentary style. Looks like I may have to drive 8+ hours a day for nearly the whole time.

Cities:
-Pittsburgh, PA
-New York, NY
-Raleigh, NC
-Jacksonville, FL
-St. Louis, MO
-Denver, CO
-Southern to Northern Cali
-Seattle, WA
-Anchorage, AK

Check out the attached map for an approximate route.

Can this be done safely in 2 weeks with driving that much? Most I've ever done is 6 hours at a time for 2 days. I will have another guy/actor with me that will be splitting driving time, thank goodness.

https://imgur.com/a/PqHIW
I'm from Alaska. I'm not sure what time of year you are looking at doing that, but just the Seattle-Anchorage portion will certainly take 4-5 days and possibly even 7. There is nothing good to come from trying to drive in remote and dangerous areas on a time crunch or when fatigued. I just drove from Anchorage-Washington and it took me 7 days driving alone, but I was pulling a trailer and traveling with animals so frequent breaks were a necessity. Usually the Anch-Seattle route takes five days and it's very wearying. It's not interstate driving AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2018, 11:00 PM
 
1,314 posts, read 1,021,965 times
Reputation: 3398
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
I can not divulge much info as some is confidential, but the key is 2 guys in a car traveling to various vendors that will modify the car along the way. .
a) this sounds like a terrible show b) I'm dying laughing to think of driving all the way to ALASKA to modify a vehicle. How ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,560 posts, read 11,062,540 times
Reputation: 10260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
a) this sounds like a terrible show b) I'm dying laughing to think of driving all the way to ALASKA to modify a vehicle. How ridiculous.
But you can see Russia from there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Reputation: 24128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
The map I put up and the locations I listed are generalized waypoints where I may end up. Trust me I will make it a point to find the off the beaten path places. I want the best views and food.
Off the beaten path locations with the "best views and food"? Now you're going to ADD time and personal preferences to this insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 09:43 AM
 
18 posts, read 8,151 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Off the beaten path locations with the "best views and food"? Now you're going to ADD time and personal preferences to this insanity.
Like I said I do not have locations locked down, the point of the trip was to kind of explore the US and visit these vendors. As for AK, other than to say we can go there, we aren't modifying the car there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 09:47 AM
 
18 posts, read 8,151 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
I'm from Alaska. I'm not sure what time of year you are looking at doing that, but just the Seattle-Anchorage portion will certainly take 4-5 days and possibly even 7. There is nothing good to come from trying to drive in remote and dangerous areas on a time crunch or when fatigued. I just drove from Anchorage-Washington and it took me 7 days driving alone, but I was pulling a trailer and traveling with animals so frequent breaks were a necessity. Usually the Anch-Seattle route takes five days and it's very wearying. It's not interstate driving AT ALL.
Yeah I figured it would take a good couple days to go that span no doubt. Are there any good camping areas not far from the main route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Reputation: 24128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
Yeah I figured it would take a good couple days to go that span no doubt. Are there any good camping areas not far from the main route?
Now you're going to spend time setting up a campsite? And you're saying that the producers aren't going to pay for a hotel each night? And your saying that the "talent" is going to camp? In freaking Alaska????

Yeah, I smell BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 01:56 PM
 
18 posts, read 8,151 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Now you're going to spend time setting up a campsite? And you're saying that the producers aren't going to pay for a hotel each night? And your saying that the "talent" is going to camp? In freaking Alaska????

Yeah, I smell BS.
Not appreciating your BS comments...I think you may need to put on some deodorant, it's not me you smell.

If time allows I was going to find a few campsites as a hotel is not the most photogenic thing in the world. Plus being an avid outdoorsman I would like to integrate the surrounding landscapes in my footage. You have no background on the talent so don't make assumptions. I've camped all around the world and have never had any issues. I also never said anything about the "producers" and about how they were going to pay for stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Reputation: 24128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
Not appreciating your BS comments...I think you may need to put on some deodorant, it's not me you smell.
Very mature. Proving my point. Again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2018, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,234 posts, read 7,261,054 times
Reputation: 6700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Cut out the corners and you'll be fine.
Driving? Hell no. By plane. . . just barely if you have a business jet. You are looking at about 8000+ miles the way you have it mapped out. Even Clark Kent would have a difficult time doing this in two weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top