U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 06:48 PM

18 posts, read 8,159 times

Advertisements

New here to the forums, wish I had found it years ago...

I will be undertaking an endeavor for work that I don't think is safely possible. It's an amazing opportunity, but this will be far beyond what I've done in the past.

Don't have an exact route setup, but below is some of the major cities I will be passing through chronologically. Bear in mind I will be doing this trip in 2 weeks which so far is all that is given to me. I will also be filming and photographing the trip in a youtube/documentary style. Looks like I may have to drive 8+ hours a day for nearly the whole time.

Cities:
-Pittsburgh, PA
-New York, NY
-Raleigh, NC
-Jacksonville, FL
-St. Louis, MO
-Denver, CO
-Southern to Northern Cali
-Seattle, WA
-Anchorage, AK

Check out the attached map for an approximate route.

Can this be done safely in 2 weeks with driving that much? Most I've ever done is 6 hours at a time for 2 days. I will have another guy/actor with me that will be splitting driving time, thank goodness.

https://imgur.com/a/PqHIW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 06:53 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times
I drive a conservative 80 MPH in I-95 frequently. We do Harrisburg PA to Raleigh in under 8 hours. We do Raleigh to Jacksonville in well under 8 hours. DO NOT speed through Virginia, it is a misdemeanor and a lifetime problem if you don't pay for a lawyer.
Pittsburgh to NYC depends on where you are going in the city to go either I-80 or the PA turnpike.
I can't address the rest of your route.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I drive a conservative 80 MPH in I-95 frequently. We do Harrisburg PA to Raleigh in under 8 hours. We do Raleigh to Jacksonville in well under 8 hours. DO NOT speed through Virginia, it is a misdemeanor and a lifetime problem if you don't pay for a lawyer.
Pittsburgh to NYC depends on where you are going in the city to go either I-80 or the PA turnpike.
I can't address the rest of your route.
Every little bit of info to help me assess and plan the better. Thank you!

Old 03-26-2018, 07:44 PM

3,185 posts, read 7,063,377 times
Seattle to Anchorage is 44 hours in good weather. So no your plan will not work for a two week trip.

Just dropped the rest of your stops in to google maps for fun. It comes out to 123 hours of driving with no stops. Can it be done, sure, safely, I doubt it. I've done a lot of road trips and unless you are accustom to spending long days in the car and not getting much sleep you will not be able to make good decisions on the road.

If you do it be sure you have a vehicle with winter tires when you hit Colorado and carry chains that you know how to use, it's still snowing in out here and to the north and west.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Seattle to Anchorage is 44 hours in good weather. So no your plan will not work for a two week trip.

Just dropped the rest of your stops in to google maps for fun. It comes out to 123 hours of driving with no stops. Can it be done, sure, safely, I doubt it. I've done a lot of road trips and unless you are accustom to spending long days in the car and not getting much sleep you will not be able to make good decisions on the road.

If you do it be sure you have a vehicle with winter tires when you hit Colorado and carry chains that you know how to use, it's still snowing in out here and to the north and west.
Yeah that's the number I was getting too. I wondered about the snow as well. The car I'm driving will be a modified FWD 2.5L wagon and I don't think my bosses have thought about that element of driving in the elements...lol.

I'm sure it can be done, but at severe risk of pure sleep deprivation. I was told if we begin to run of of time we'll just cut out destinations, uhhh, I still have to drive that distance. Even splitting driving privileges, I still have to film and shoot during most of it. I need to push for at least 3 weeks at the minimum for my sanity and safety.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,777 posts, read 54,440,540 times
That sounds very dangerous. I did 44 states in 1971, at age 19 with a friend, but we took just under 3 months. It was 18,000 miles total (and just $500 for gas at 25-30 cents/gallon). Even then on the longest run from 6am-2am the next day I had to pull over and sleep for a while. It was summer, so no problems with snow.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:25 PM

1,172 posts, read 478,509 times
Urgh. Too much is indeed the word for this itinerary over two weeks. How much time had you planned to spend in each city? Because you unfortunately won’t be able to linger anyplace at all.

And the only thing you’ll be filming/photographing is the inside of the car and interstate highway because you’ll be driving so much. Can’t imagine that’s going to make for an exciting visual document.

I wouldn’t do it, myself.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:45 PM

15,894 posts, read 6,256,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
New here to the forums, wish I had found it years ago...

I will be undertaking an endeavor for work that I don't think is safely possible. It's an amazing opportunity, but this will be far beyond what I've done in the past.

Don't have an exact route setup, but below is some of the major cities I will be passing through chronologically. Bear in mind I will be doing this trip in 2 weeks which so far is all that is given to me. I will also be filming and photographing the trip in a youtube/documentary style. Looks like I may have to drive 8+ hours a day for nearly the whole time.

Cities:
-Pittsburgh, PA
-New York, NY
-Raleigh, NC
-Jacksonville, FL
-St. Louis, MO
-Denver, CO
-Southern to Northern Cali
-Seattle, WA
-Anchorage, AK

Check out the attached map for an approximate route.

Can this be done safely in 2 weeks with driving that much? Most I've ever done is 6 hours at a time for 2 days. I will have another guy/actor with me that will be splitting driving time, thank goodness.

https://imgur.com/a/PqHIW
Cut out the corners and you'll be fine.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:52 PM

2,907 posts, read 1,586,973 times
Nutty itinerary if you want to know the truth. Cut out half the cities inc. Anchorage & you could do it.

Last edited by Hefe; 03-26-2018 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 08:55 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,198,229 times
Are u just planning to drive and film and nothing else??

How bout meals, how bout sleep, how bout baths or showers, how bout major traffic jams, how bout rest stops, how bout fuel stops, how bout flat tires or anything else that can occur on a trip like that??

Are your bosses in the third grade?????

Are you a troll????

Just wondering.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel