U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 02:49 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,173,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So I was speaking on a popular Disney website and a poster said that they don't tip housekeeping because housekeeping is included in the price of the room.

Is this new? I've never heard this?
In General NO it is not included in a hotel stay, and the going rate is $1 to $2. per night per person.

that said perhaps disney does things different. But I would verify it if I were you.

My son is a room attendant and makes min. wage. trying to support a disabled wife and two children one of which has autism and need constant watching over. in his case he receives tips from about 20% of the rooms he cleans, by the way where he works they clean the shower and the bathroom floor on their Knees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 03:00 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,094,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
AFAIK, all the expenses they need to cover are included are part of the room rate. I've never looked into stuff like resort fees. Always thought that was a CA or NV thing that goes to the state. Whether or not they make profit depends on management, business, and employees' actual performance.

Resort fees.. Oh, that'll get me going. Those are nothing more than a legal way for hotels to falsely state their rates.

Vegas is the worst. Many MGM properties are charging $35 a day AT LEAST for access to the weight room, wi-fi and a newspaper.

I can get a monthly gym membership, pay data charges and buy a $2.00 USA Today for much less than that.

and the charges are mandatory. You can't say "I didn't use/don't want to use any of those" and have the charges taken off.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:10 PM

12,299 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Lol of course people getting a salary for working is not new. Not tipping housekeeping is new.

I always thought in the states certain jobs always got tipped. Hair dressers, housekeepers and waitstaff among them.

Even in Vegas, the land of resort fees I've left something for housekeeping.

Hey Works for me. Ill keep the dough
It's a personal choice and per this article from 2011 only 30% tip - and I think that might be a bit high. Note the distinction between other positions like bellmen.

Hotel housekeeping: Do you tip? - CNN.com

Since housekeeping positions fall into the out-of-sight ("back of the house") category of hotel work, the jobs aren't considered tips-based positions. ...
Tipping housekeepers is "a really lovely thing," said Reneta McCarthy, a Cornell lecturer who started out in the industry as a housekeeping manager with Marriott. "But generally speaking I would say the majority of people don't do it. And when you look at it, you know, I hate to say it, but this is not considered a tips position. The housekeepers, unlike the bellmen, are not filling out tip reporting forms," she said.

Someone mentioned cruises. Those tips don't go to the housekeeper only, but all of the workers. And the wages that cruise workers make would make a US hotel housekeeper look like a millionaire.

Last edited by Dd714; 03-28-2018 at 03:19 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 03:14 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,833,046 times
I never tip housekeeping. What's next? Tipping your airbnb host?

Hotels can be $100-$600+ per night, they can easily find a tip somewhere in there. There is no tip section when I checkout and sign for my hotel receipt.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:20 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,017,296 times
For you information in top end hotels you tip housekeeping by putting the bill inside the edge of the sheet.
A thorough and good room attendant will find it!!!!
That's if you tip. This thread must be full of fellow Canadians. Americans are great tippers.

IF I get above and beyond I tip well.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:32 AM

9,260 posts, read 10,915,944 times
I was brought up by frequent travelers, and taught to tip housekeeping.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:24 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,175,271 times
I look at it this way, if tips are included in the price of your room, I wonder what pittance each maid gets out of that price?

Probably not much, but meanwhile the huge hotel chains make a killing.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:51 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I never tip housekeeping. What's next? Tipping your airbnb host?

Hotels can be $100-$600+ per night, they can easily find a tip somewhere in there. There is no tip section when I checkout and sign for my hotel receipt.
I remember my mom as well as my grandmother always left tips for hotel maids whenever we stayed at a hotel when I was a child. But I think nowadays not everyone does it any more.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:17 AM

1,327 posts, read 782,087 times
I always tip. If the room is cleaned everyday I leave a tip everyday. It pretty much guarantees I'm coming back to a spotless room/suite and sometimes extra "goodies" left for me.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:35 AM

3,187 posts, read 7,068,473 times
I tip housekeeping. They are cleaning toilets, changing beds and who knows what other nastiness daily. I can spare a few bucks and maybe that makes someone's day a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel