U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 06:25 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,393,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Go on a cruise......

Everybody that works on the ship has their hands out for a tip. (probably paradise for all the folks that like to tip a lot)
That's been discussed - most cruise lines include the tip into the cruise cost now (as a separate line item that specifically indicates "gratuities"). But cruise workers are notoriously poorly paid - we are talking about 3rd world wages, much less that US minimum wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
What do people from Australia and certain East Asian countries do as tipping is not common there?
They don't tip. This is one reason that Americans (contrary to popular belief) are very popular as tourists in foreign countries, at least to those in the tourist industry - we usually tip when it's not needed, or over tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 07:35 AM

5,247 posts, read 5,166,992 times
I leave a tip. But I do it at the end. Usually it's not much because there are plenty of times I stay at a hotel and I never have them come in the room to do anything. I am pretty clean.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:12 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,613,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I never tip housekeeping. What's next? Tipping your airbnb host?

Hotels can be $100-$600+ per night, they can easily find a tip somewhere in there. There is no tip section when I checkout and sign for my hotel receipt.
How is the housekeeper going to get a tip from your payment for the room? This makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
For you information in top end hotels you tip housekeeping by putting the bill inside the edge of the sheet.
A thorough and good room attendant will find it!!!!
That's if you tip. This thread must be full of fellow Canadians. Americans are great tippers.

IF I get above and beyond I tip well.
I worked at what was 15+ years ago a $325 per night hotel in a national park as a housekeeper. We even had the occasional celebrity stay there, but we just made minimum wage. I have NEVER heard of this nor did anyone that tipped ever leave their money tucked into the sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I always tip. If the room is cleaned everyday I leave a tip everyday. It pretty much guarantees I'm coming back to a spotless room/suite and sometimes extra "goodies" left for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I always tip housekeeping along with a little note that says " Thank You ".

Some places I leave $5.00 others $10.00 per day.

I leave the tip everyday and not just one big one at the end, since of course it could be a different cleaner each day.
For people that leave a tip every day, do you leave a note to let the housekeeper know it is a tip? If not, does it still get picked up? I'm curious because the hotel I worked at drilled it into us that we were not to touch any of the hotel guests' personal belongings. If they had personal belongings on the bed, we weren't allowed to make the bed because we couldn't move their things. If it wasn't someone checked out and I saw money sitting there, even just a dollar and change, I wouldn't touch it if it didn't have a note specifically stating it was a tip for me. So I'm curious how it goes in other hotels.

Sometimes tipping can get you stuff and sometimes me doing extras got me a tip. I remember doing on room with a rollaway bed. They obviously had a little kid with them because there were a couple stuffed animals laying against the pillow on the rollaway. I didn't have to touch the animals but I made up the rollaway so the stuffed animals were all tucked in. Later, a guy ran into me in the hall and asked if I had cleaned his room. He gave me a huge tip because they came back and his daughter saw her animals all tucked in and she absolutely loved it. I think those people stayed for a week and I went out of my way to make sure they had everything they could possibly need.

Last edited by ischyros; 03-30-2018 at 09:05 AM..

Old 03-30-2018, 08:51 AM

9,650 posts, read 4,548,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
For people that leave a tip every day, do you leave a note to let the housekeeper know it is a tip? If not, does it still get picked up? I'm curious because the hotel I worked at drilled it into us that we were not to touch any of the hotel guests' personal belongings.
I was going to mention this as well because I learned that I need to leave some kind of note or it will still be there.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:18 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,168,437 times
these days everywhere I have stayed in a hotel there is a folded card in the room with the serving person's name on it and some message about enjoying your stay etc. The idea being that if you leave a tip you leave it in cash and place this card on top of it. That way the room steward knows that is the tip.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times
Quote:
H

Sometimes tipping can get you stuff and sometimes me doing extras got me a tip. I remember doing on room with a rollaway bed. They obviously had a little kid with them because there were a couple stuffed animals laying against the pillow on the rollaway. I didn't have to touch the animals but I made up the rollaway so the stuffed animals were all tucked in. Later, a guy ran into me in the hall and asked if I had cleaned his room. He gave me a huge tip because they came back and his daughter saw her animals all tucked in and she absolutely loved it. I think those people stayed for a week and I went out of my way to make sure they had everything they could possibly need.
I like to prop them up and put the remote in their hand. Kids get a charge out of it.

Different hotels have different rules. I've worked at places where you don't touch *anything* belonging to a guest, and I've worked places that tell you to move *everything* (even electronics) over to the other bed, make the bed and then move it back.

If someone is going to be dishonest, they are going to be dishonest. It won't matter what you have on your bed. Most of the people I have known and worked with are honest people. But there were exceptions. Rules about not touching stuff didn't make a bit of difference.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:24 AM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I like to prop them up and put the remote in their hand. Kids get a charge out of it.

Different hotels have different rules. I've worked at places where you don't touch *anything* belonging to a guest, and I've worked places that tell you to move *everything* (even electronics) over to the other bed, make the bed and then move it back.

If someone is going to be dishonest, they are going to be dishonest. It won't matter what you have on your bed. Most of the people I have known and worked with are honest people. But there were exceptions. Rules about not touching stuff didn't make a bit of difference.
I'm curious what you think of my approach.. I've mentioned it before.. I check in, I hang the DND sign on the door and it stays until I check out. Never leave a tip, but all trash is in a can, towels in a pile in the bathroom.

From your standpoint.. Would you rather have someone like that, or someone who has you come in and make up the beds everyday but leaves a.. $10 tip for a 3-day stay?

I started doing that when I was working nights. I had to go to the front desk and explain to some of them why the DND was on the door all the time and to please make a note that I didn't want housekeeping, because I'd be asleep. I kinda just spread that out to anytime I'm at a hotel. After all, if noone is going in, nothing should come up missing, and we're all happy.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:20 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,826,234 times
Quote:
For people that leave a tip every day, do you leave a note to let the housekeeper know it is a tip? If not, does it still get picked up? I'm curious because the hotel I worked at drilled it into us that we were not to touch any of the hotel guests' personal belongings. If they had personal belongings on the bed, we weren't allowed to make the bed because we couldn't move their things. If it wasn't someone checked out and I saw money sitting there, even just a dollar and change, I wouldn't touch it if it didn't have a note specifically stating it was a tip for me. So I'm curious how it goes in other hotels.
Just another reason for me not to tip. Now I have to leave a note specifically specifying it's a tip?

Quote:
Marriott housekeepers start in the mid-teens per hour. The median salary for housekeepers is $19,570 per year, or about $9.41 per hour, according to data for 2012 from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Housekeepers who work in major metropolitan areas tend to make a higher average wage
https://mashable.com/2014/09/15/tipp.../#nIRPH24KEgqD

Sounds like enough to me. I imagine the confusion of housekeepers with money being left around and no note from the checked out guest to specify the purpose. Do y'all just throw the money away?

Old 03-31-2018, 06:04 PM

2,870 posts, read 1,400,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Just another reason for me not to tip. Now I have to leave a note specifically specifying it's a tip?

https://mashable.com/2014/09/15/tipp.../#nIRPH24KEgqD

Sounds like enough to me. I imagine the confusion of housekeepers with money being left around and no note from the checked out guest to specify the purpose. Do y'all just throw the money away?
lol, 19k a year sounds like enough to live on??? please tell me where?? federal poverty level is about 14k.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:43 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,826,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, 19k a year sounds like enough to live on??? please tell me where?? federal poverty level is about 14k.
Sounds like a personal problem. No one forced them to be a housekeeper.

I used to flip burgers, getting $7 an hour was a great incentive for me to finish school. Best incentive I ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel