U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:56 PM

372 posts, read 130,342 times

Advertisements

Hey all got a question. I have flown with AA just a few times. Maybe 2 times i believe. Whenever i book a reservation, i either do it directly with say AA or say Jetblue or use orbitz. Back then i always used orbtiz because they had a 24 hour policy cancellation where there was no fees at all. So for example if im not sure if im going this date or not, if i book it, i could always cancel it the next day etc for no fee.

The thing was last time i booked a flight with AA, i was told that you could cancel it within 24 hours of booking... but only as long as your flight is at least 7 days away. The thing is i contacted someone on AA on the phone on this. Example let say my flight is next Friday. Well if i book a flight now, i could still cancel it within 24 hours since that would be Thursday only and thus 7 or 8 days away. I said well doesn't it mean if i book the flight say on Saturday, well even though there is 24 hour cancellation, well it wouldn't apply because my flight is within 7 days. I was told no... its actually 2 days only. I then checked on google and found a thread here that says AA changed this policy last year... can someone here confirm this? I asked the AA rep on the phone and said did this change recently? They told me no its been like this for years. I said that cannot be because i have booked a flight with AA before and I was told its only if the flight is at least 7 days away.

So can someone here confirm this? Thus let say you want to book a flight for next Friday. So basically if you book a flight on Tuesday a few days before the flight, you could actually cancel it the next day on Wednesday which is 2 days before the flight? I was told yes... because you book the flight on Tuesday which is 3 days before it.* Now if you book it say Wednesday, it does not work. Im shocked at this.

If this is true, doesn't AA have a very good cancellation policy then? Does anyone know if Jetblue, United have similar policies? I mean... you could cancel it for free if it was booked at least 2 days in advance? The rep said yes and i'm shocked by this.

But the thing is if you booking it a few days before the flight, well fees are pretty high.

Does anyone know how many hours is the 24 hour cancellation policy? Example you book a flight on Tuesday at say 11am. You can cancel it for free as long as you do it before Wednesday 11am? Or is it like Wednesday 11:59pm?

The other thing is this. With orbitz, if you book a ticket through them for AA or Jetblue are you guaranteed to get a ticket as long as they confirm it? Because back many years ago, I always did that and never had an issue. But reason why I used them was because I believe they not only let you cancel for free up to 24 hours... it was more like till the next night at 9 or 10pm so it could be even more than 24 hours like 36 hours if you book it say Tuesday 11am etc. But I believe they let you cancel it say a few days before the flight etc.

Also with orbitz, i noticed there are 1 or maybe 2 tickets that are available for AA on their site... but not on the actual AA site at the same time. Does that mean AA gives orbitz that 1 ticket to book at that moment or not? Because if its not available on AA at the time, is it really available on orbitz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 10:45 PM

7,681 posts, read 16,101,231 times
The 24 hour rule is a USDOT rule effectively covering US carriers and foreign carriers whose flights touch US soil. (Last time I looked at Norwegian's web page, their non-US flights did not have the 24 hour window their US flights have to) Airlines typically follow the minimum requirements, though some will give a cancellation slightly longer than that- think midnight EST the following day in the name of simplifying IT requirements.

https://www.transportation.gov/airco...ur-reservation

Old 09-12-2018, 01:16 AM

Hey all got a question. So I contacted both jetblue and american airlines and asked about the cancellation policy.

AA tells me when you book a flight, you have up to 24 hours to cancel it at no charge only if the flight is at least 2 days from departure. Jetblue says you have up to 24 hours to cancel it at no charge only if the flight is at least 1 week from departure. Now here is what I thought was interesting. Let say you want to fly in a few week but not sure exactly what date you are flying. Thus you know it will be one of a few days. You book it and also book it at a decent price. Then you check the flight prices say 23 hours later on. You notice that the prices are still the same. You cancel your flight... and then rebook it. Thus you have another 24 hours to cancel. I'm curious but has anyone here done something like this? I have and the reason I did it was because I couldn't decide which date I was going to fly. So I figure if I do this, and the price stays the same, then I could sort of delay it etc. But is doing this wrong?

I could understand someone doing this if they want to get a flight cheaper but would that be wrong? Imagine someone book a flight few week from now for 300 dollars. Then they cancel it less than 24 hours few times because they saw price was the same. Then the next time they look, price is now 230 dollars. They now cancel the booking and rebook and now get it for 230 dollars. Then say less than 24 hours later, either the price stays the same where they would cancel and rebook immediately. Then the next 24 hours, price goes back up to 300 dollars. They now keep the reservation. Would that be unethical to do? Also i heard there was a term for this a while back like you are blocking seats?

Old 09-12-2018, 04:48 AM

9,801 posts, read 5,008,332 times
I just wait and book my flight when I’m sure of my travel plans. Makes life a lot easier than worrying about cancellation policies.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:16 AM

Hi there. Well the thing is this. If you do this, the price of the ticket can go higher etc.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:10 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
I think AA was doing something weird with the cancellation policy a while back. As recently as last year as I recall.. What they would do is that if you made a reservation, they would hold it for 24 hours.. But, if you BOUGHT a ticket.. Boom, it was instantly non-refundable. So, they complied with the letter of the DoT regulations, but the way they did it was very confusing. And I'm fairly certain they have changed this now.

But.. Doing what you described.. I'd think at some point, while technically it would be legal.. Eventually the price is going to go up and stop you. It's like a game of craps.. Eventually, one day you'll roll snake eyes. The price will go up $30 one day, and you don't cancel.. then you're locked in.

Moral? In the real world, probably not, but you're dealing with airlines. Morality doesn't usually come into play with them.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:38 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think AA was doing something weird with the cancellation policy a while back. As recently as last year as I recall.. What they would do is that if you made a reservation, they would hold it for 24 hours.. But, if you BOUGHT a ticket.. Boom, it was instantly non-refundable. So, they complied with the letter of the DoT regulations, but the way they did it was very confusing. And I'm fairly certain they have changed this now.
You can still put AA tickets on a 24-hour hold. And frankly, it's much better than getting a refund after the fact. Chargebacks to a credit card take some time to process, so why not just avoid the charge in the first place and only buy the tickets when your travel plans are actually firm?

Old 09-12-2018, 01:54 PM

9,801 posts, read 5,008,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Hi there. Well the thing is this. If you do this, the price of the ticket can go higher etc.
Not if I make up my mind before the prices go up. I prefer planning ahead.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:29 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
You can still put AA tickets on a 24-hour hold. And frankly, it's much better than getting a refund after the fact. Chargebacks to a credit card take some time to process, so why not just avoid the charge in the first place and only buy the tickets when your travel plans are actually firm?

Not saying it wasn't or isn't.. Whatever.. But it was confusing to people. I read several stories about it over on elliott.org where someone thought they had the 24 hours, but wound up with a non-refundable ticket.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:09 PM

Hey there. Well the thing is i can't decide on which date usually such as this day or that day and if early or later flight etc. But im curious if anyone here does this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or