U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 07:09 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,645,775 times

Advertisements

About 20 years ago, my husband and I drove from our North Florida home to visit everyone we were related to who lived east of the Mississippi River. Stops included Atlanta, Nashville, Cincinnati, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York, and Hartford.

We put 5000 miles on the car (a Camry) and the trip took us five weeks. We drove at a leisurely pace, did lots of sightseeing, ate at some wonderful restaurants, and thoroughly enjoyed the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 07:24 AM

1,029 posts, read 585,433 times
In the Spring of 1983 my brother and I did an epic cross-country road trip: from San Francisco to Colorado Springs to Chicago to Niagara Falls to Latham NY to West Hartford CT to Boston to Washington DC to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to Columbia SC to Disney World and EPCOT Center to Tampa-St. Pete to Key West to Miami, and then to Santa Barbara, then back home to San Francisco.

11,000 miles in 4 weeks for two college-aged kids, in a tiny 2-seat roadster sports car, my 1979 Fiat X1/9. And this was back in the days of the double nickel, the 55 MPH national speed limit .

Most memorable about it was being young and independent and free, and traveling on the cheap (we camped out a lot — waking to the roar of Niagara Falls [illegal winter camping in the snow! — essentially, we camped at lat/long 43.0774, -79.0795 {gMap, right about here}, and we half expected to be arrested that night; there’s a little story about that night ], also camping on the shore of Sunshine Key, FL, and our tent was 20 feet from the water. We saw many friends and family.

It was an epic trip.

So many roads, so little time! And... Things To Do, Places To Go, and People To See!

Old 04-14-2018, 08:19 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,594,641 times
I guess my last real road trip was in 1985. I became unemployed & I wanted to move out of the Midwest after 10+ years & a friend was moving back to Alaska from the heartland so I joined her & her 2 cats for a leisurely drive across the country stopping at friends & camping. We then stayed on the deck of the car ferry from Seattle to Alaska for a few days cruising through the beautiful inland passage past BC, stopped at Juneau & got off at Skagway, I think.

We drove for a couple of more days to Fairbanks, our destination, & I spent much of the next month actively exploring parts of Alaska to see if I should settle in there. I was coming to the conclusion that it was gorgeous & memorable but not for me when I got word that an opportunity had arisen in the lower 48 & I flew back for a last few months in the Midwest & then to the Rockies for several years.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:19 AM

994 posts, read 598,792 times
When I was 21, I drove with my dad from Chicago in his new turbo Mitsubishi Eclipse. We left in the evening and drove through the night to have breakfast at the legendary Wall Drug. Then through the usual suspects in South Dakota, and a pilgrimage to Devil's Tower, home of my dad's favorite movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind. He didn't think it (the Tower) was real. From there we went to Cody, WY, a bit of Yellowstone, Grant Tetons (I agree with the other poster Tetons>Yellowstone), and into Jackson Hole. We didn't book any rooms in advance, so with all the hotels completely full in Jackson, we drove until 4am into Logan, UT before we could find any vacancy. A total adventure.

From there, we went to Vegas, stayed in a crap motel near the strip. I went out and walked the strip for the first time (dad was tired), gambled a little, had a couple of free beers. The next day we drove to our 2nd home in Tucson, AZ, stayed 4 days there relaxing.

After that, drove 20 hours straight home.

Was full of adventure, a little conflict, but mostly just flat out memorable. Replicated some of these spots with my family 17 years later.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:13 PM

176 posts, read 113,760 times
So many...a few are....
11 days seeing Italy by renting a car, we spent nearly 10k staying at the best hotels and eating at the best restaurants. Saw so much, I planned it perfectly from Rome up to Milan and back again. All the major cathedrals, art history, famous spots, went in early November, still warm and not very many tourists!

3 weeks in summer Colorado back in '83. I was young and single and just enjoyed myself...Drove my sister to work in Denver then took off in her car everyday just driving around Colorado with just a map and long before I owned a cell phone. Just used the signs x miles to wherever...

2 weeks to see Yellowstone. Badlands, Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, yes Wall Drug of course! Tetons, Jackson Hole, Rapid City, Plateau mountain ranges of Wyoming. Yellowstone was awesome. Went in July of '98? or around there. I would never call it a boring parking lot, it was absolutely beautiful and was not crowded, I guess we were lucky compared to other years. If you haven't seen Yellowstone you're missing out, it's the best. Elk, wolves, bears, so many waterfalls, so many geysers and formations. Artist Point waterfall will take your breath away. Nature at its finest.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM

5,865 posts, read 9,496,527 times
Several years ago me and a friend did a two-week road trip up and down the Rocky Mountain states (NM, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Utah) where we spent about half our nights camping and half in a hotel. It was very awesome because we got to see a lot of spectacular scenery, particularly mountain scenery, in some very remote places and we had a chance to listen to great tunes and solidfy our friendship. We were in my four-wheel drive truck, and therefore were able to venture into forest roads in the mountains and easily reach some of the different campgrounds that were along the way.

Everywhere we went on this particular road trip was great. Particularly special to me was the Selway-Bitterroot Wildnerness in Idaho. Also spectacular was northern Colorado heading into Wyoming, and Yellowstone.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:05 PM

10,529 posts, read 8,778,692 times
Last Fall (2017)

My wife and I flew to Seattle from Copenhagen. My cousin's husband, picked us up in his plane, and we flew up to their place near Marysville. I got to fly for a while. That was really cool.

My cousin gave us her car and we drove to Anacordes(?) and took the ferry to Firday Harbor, where we spent 2 days, driving around and hiking. We then ferried and drove back to Marysville and spent more time flying...more fun. My wife wasn't scared, even with me at the controls.

We rented a car in Everertt and drove to Portland, where we met my daughter, who flew in from Utah, and spent 2 days with her. She went to Lewis and Clark in Portland and knows the town well. I lived in Eastern WA in the 80s and visited Portland a lot. I worked there for a year, too. And my wife and I visited Portland a few times when my daughter was at school.

From Portland, my wife and I drove to Eugene and then headed West to the Coast and drove down the coast, stopping one night, until we reached Mendocino. What a lovely drive. My wife and I had been there on an earlier trip about 5-years ago, and it had changed a lot...for the better.

After 2 nights in Mendocino, we drove through the Anderson Valley, stopping at several wineries and for lunch in Boonville and then drove on to Healdsburg to a place close to the Russian River. We explored Healdsberg and then moved onto Calistoga, which we enjoyed a lot, went hiking in Robert Louis Stevenson Park and walked the ridge on the east side of Route 128. (I forget the name of the little wine valley between Headlsburg and Calistoga). Luckily , We missed the fires in the 4 days we were in this area.

After that it took us about a half a day to drive to Catheys Valley, where we stayed for 4 days in the best B&B in which we have ever visited Catheys Valley is close enough to Yosemite to do day hikes. It was really crowded, but the trails thinned out quickly. Was it gorgeous, or what. We'd never been there before. As luck would have it, there were no fires.

The trip to Thousand Oaks was a combination of a "lost in nowhere" experience and "highway hell", but we survived and spent 3 days with an old school buddy of mine (from the 60s), seeing the sights along the coastal canyons and even daring to drive down to Abbot Kinney Blvd., where we did some shopping and ate at fantastic Mexican seafood restuarant. I was not impressed with Venice Beach, but my wife, a Dane, loved it. (Again we missed the fires).

24 days after we started our trip, we borded a plane in LAX that took us back to Copenhagen via London, where one of my sons now works and lives.

This September, we are going back to Marysville, and after that we will explore Eastern OR in a rental car and then fly to NYC for a week, where we will walk and walk and walk, before driving up the Hudson R to stay a few nights with my step brothers near Hudson, NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or