U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 07:34 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,706,078 times

Advertisements

Describe the best road trip you've ever taken, and what was great about it?

Mine was when I was in my 60s, and I decided to go to a bunch of minor league baseball games. I went to a game every night in Appleton WI, Richmond IN, Charleston WV, Princeton WV, Johnson City TN, Winston Salem NC, Asheville NC, Greenville SC, Savannah GA, Macon GA, Greensobo NC, Hickory NC, Altoona PA, Erie PA and Columbus OH.

I was driving a 15 year old Camry sedan, and slept every night in the reclining front seat in the ball park parking lot, and hit the road the next morning. Never had a hassle. All by myself, no radio in the car, no phone, paper maps. That was in 2002.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 09:21 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,598,577 times
Mine was in 1971 when I was still a teenager. I was out of HS & bored & directionless & suddenly one day got the singular notion to go to Europe. I never knew of anyone who had done that, other than some famous writers & artists way in the past. But there were no guidebooks for independent travel then other than "Europe on $5 a Day" which I bought & then bought a one way ticket to Frankfurt & took off on my own, since I couldn't convince anyone that this was a great idea, & hitchhiked all around the Continent & Turkey for the next 6 months... many, many adventures & experiences.

For one I discovered that there was a network of likeminded youth like me traversing the world then, which in the UK at least got institutionalized as the "gap year", a notion the US has been slow to adopt. Also the same year a couple smarter than me traversing a similar path starting mimeographing a homemade guide called "SE Asia on a Shoestring" which ultimately became the Lonely Planet publishing empire.

It was mind expanding & life changing, when I returned home I quickly realized that I didn't really belong there anymore, I simply couldn't just get a job & "settle down" like most of my friends. So I moved on & it cursed me to a lifetime of curiosity & traveling to see what was on the other side of the hill.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 PM

3,311 posts, read 1,578,890 times
When I graduated HS, I loaded up my Malibu wagon ,with my then girlfriend, and her best friend and her then partner. We used a road atlas, and made our way to key largo from NYC.

Took us about 30 hours! Straight driving. My wagon had a bent radiator hose, tricking the car into thinking it's over heating, until I put on the heater, during 95 degree weather. It sucked.my power steering and cruise control did not work either.

But we made it through. We(men) drove from Georgia to the keys bare chested, like some wierdos.. We arrived at a Sheraton key largo, which felt like driving in to some hidden paradise. Tiki torches, sauna,waterfall pool, we soaked for hours.

We did drive to key West , and enjoyed what it has to offer.bar hopping was good cheap fun at happy hour.

We eventually returned home to NYC, stopping at Daytona,Hilton Head island, Atlantic Beach, Virginia Beach,DC,Philly and back home.

One of the girls had a discount with the Sheraton hotels, so we stayed where ever they were charging $40 per night. We were so lucky.

We try to relieve the unplanned road trips, as they are fun and memorable.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:41 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,331,727 times
I took a few spring break road trips with college friends known since high school. They weren't really memorable because most of us weren't party kids back in those days. We went to a low key area in Florida, and mostly just chilled and hung out. Pretty boring, thus non-memorable really.

I didn't really have a good road trip till about ten years later. Newly married, my wife and my folks we all flew out to Denver and rented a car. In two weeks we visited the Black Hills, Devil's Tower, Glacier NP, Yellowstone NP, and placed in Colorado around Denver. Ended up putting just under 3,000 miles on the mini-van we rented. It was mostly a sightseeing trip to areas we've never visited before. It took ten years but I finally made it back to Glacier last year for a hiking focused trip. Amazing. This year is Yellowstone.

The other road trip was another two weeks visiting the Grand Circle in S. Utah, with a few days in Las Vegas exploring Nevada. This was just my wife and I. It was such an amazing area. Got a little hiking in, missed a lot, and hope to go back in the next couple of years to check certain areas out again.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:28 AM

59 posts, read 39,616 times
Mine was my first trip West in1969.
Went out with my parents (I was 12). Flew out to Denver, then rented a car for 3 weeks.
Basically, did a giant circle, stopping in Raton, Santa Fe, Durango, Las Vegas, Anaheim, Sequoia, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Twin Falls, Green River, Vail, then back to Denver for the flight home to Newark.
Mark

Old 04-02-2018, 01:45 PM

2,554 posts, read 1,651,088 times
Stuttgart, Strasbourg/ Colmar, Besel, Bern, Grindelwald, Lucern, Zurich, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Hallstatt/ St Wolfgang, Munich.

Some of the most marvelous mountain views in the world.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,039 times
Drove across Europe 5 years back. Made friends for life!

Old 04-02-2018, 02:43 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,448,454 times
I love, and regret my recent lack of, roadtrips.

Most memorable was a 6 weeker, 8000 miler with 4 friends after college. With the exception of the South, got to see most big cities and lots of parks/monuments. It kept me from hitting the 'graduation blues' and slumping after college.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:34 PM

2,417 posts, read 4,114,470 times
In the US it was only for three days. I drove from Madison WI west to Praire du Chien, and on into Iowa, going as far as Ossian the first day. The first night I stayed at Guttenburg IA, then on to Dubuque and south-western Wisconsin, to Lancaster, and staying in Darlington the second night. Back to Madison the third day. It won't seem like much of a road trip to you all, but I had a great time, stopping in small towns and at roadside cemeteries, and turning off the main road when the fancy took me. The only disappointment was the town of Guttenburg, but that was compensated for by staying in a riverside hotel, and watching the sun rise over the Mississippi River.

Best road trip in Canada was driving from Halifax, Nova Scotia, to Cape Breton Island and back, over three days. Cape Breton Island was stunning at times, although I did drive through a couple of small deprived towns, which were sad to see, but instructive.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:52 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,919,950 times
When I was around 8 or 9 years old, my mom and dad piled us kids in the back of our Chevy. We drove from Indiana to Los Angeles. We took about a week or so to get there and a week or so to drive back.

On the way, we stopped in South Dakota where we visited my Dad's aunt. She and her husband owned a big flax farm near Watertown. They didn't have indoor plumbing! My first and only experience with an outhouse!

We saw the Bad Lands, Mount Rushmore, and many beautiful towns. We stopped in Wyoming to go to a real rodeo, we stopped at "authentic" Indian gift shops, we saw the Grand Canyon. We sang songs at the top of our lungs...even my parents! We saw water falls, shooting stars, went horse back riding, we ate rainbow trout from a stream near our hotel restaurant. We counted how many different state license plates we say, etc. What a magical journey it was for young kids!

In Los Angeles, we visited my Dad's sister and her family. They had two sons a little older than my sister and I. I remember we had a horned toad jumping race. I had my very first taco! We went to Knots Berry Farm and the original Disneyland.

I have never forgotten that trip, and I think it inspired me to go on and seek out a career in travel that allowed me to see a whole lot of this big beautiful world. I think parents should consider road trips today if they have young and impressionable kids.

Last edited by FlightAttendant; 04-02-2018 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or