U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 08:53 AM

2,598 posts, read 1,355,863 times

Advertisements

^^^This is the best short advice. Book your flight with the same airline or at least on the same ticket - airlines will not give you an interconnecting flight time that is too short for you to make the connection. If the first flight is late, the second one possibly might be held for a short time, but your ticket assures you that they must provide a later flight for you if your first one is late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 10:07 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
^^^This is the best short advice. Book your flight with the same airline or at least on the same ticket - airlines will not give you an interconnecting flight time that is too short for you to make the connection.
While the airline have what they call Minimum Legal Connection Time (legal in the sense it's allowed by their computer systems when booking, and not in a 'written into law' sense), this can be shorter than what most people feel like is the Sensible Minimum Connection Time. For example, Delta allows a 1:40 minimum legal connection time when going from international to domestic at JFK. While this should be enough time to clear ICE and reclear security screening in most cases and get to your next plane, there's also enough of a risk of misconnect that you probably do want to book at least a 2.5 hour connecting time there, especially if your domestic leg is the last flight of the day to a destination.

Yes, Delta will rebook you at no additional airline ticket cost for the next day, but may or not provide an overnight hotel in those circumstances, and in general that kind of thing is a hassle to correct. So you figure out your personal connection comfort zone given circumstances- I will cheerfully take a sub-40 minute domestic to domestic connection in ATL for a mid day flight where there are many additional flights to my destination left that day but would definitely NOT short connect there the last flight of a day- and work on flight schedules from there.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:28 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
I have flown many times before and almost always it was a direct flight unless it was to say a long destination where you have to have direct flights.*
The term you want is "nonstop". Direct can stop multiple times. I've had equipment changes at a hub where it was "direct" and I took a big delay.

The later in the day, the more time you want to leave for a connection. Morning flights tend to be close to on time arrival. All bets are off by late-afternoon. If you miss your connection, there likely won't be another.

I do my best to never take connecting flights at peak travel times unless I have elite frequent flyer status with the airline. If all the flights are full and you miss a connection, it could be a day before you finally get there.

Some airports are better than others. Desert airports tend to have far less issues than places that get fog, snow, and thunderstorms. I'll connect in Vegas or Phoenix or ABQ and not worry about it. Chicago O'Hare can be a nightmare. Ditto any NY airport or Philly.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:55 AM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
Pay attention to the time between flights and try hard to book flights with plenty of time to make your connection.

I've been on a flight that was arriving late and the pilot made the announcement ro remain seated and let the passengers going through to ### deplane first because they were going to have to run to make their connection. In that case, the rest of the passengers cooperated. Or at least most of them. I don't really know how many selfish "me first" people went ahead and deplaned, but it wasn't a lot of them.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:44 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,980,532 times
I try my hardest to only book non-stop flights. Op, if you have no choice in the matter then book with the same airline and make sure you have plenty of time between.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:54 PM

11,658 posts, read 6,266,537 times
The only time I've seen airlines delay the departure of a connecting flight is if the connecting flight is among the last of the day and/or there are a good number of passengers on the delayed arriving flight who also have seats on the connecting flight.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,433,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
If there is a lot of connecting passengers from the first flight go to the second one, they may hold the 2nd flight.

I have seen this multiple time connecting via Taipei from LAX. Flight from LAX usually late by at least 1 hour.
Did this in Taipei for us as well coming from NY to go to HCM, Vietnam. Most of the flight was getting on it so they held it for us. Flight coming into Taipei was 2 hours late so they delayed the connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or