U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:58 AM

8,642 posts, read 19,076,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
That's what the airline smartphone app is for. My iPhone definitely makes things easier on travel days- love the push notifications for gate changes and reports that my bags have been loaded on the next plane.
yes, love my airline apps. Love not having to keep track of paper boarding passes and tickets...you just open your 'wallet' and you're good to go. Using the customs and immigration app is just as easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 07:26 AM

7,681 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
yes, love my airline apps. Love not having to keep track of paper boarding passes and tickets...you just open your 'wallet' and you're good to go. Using the customs and immigration app is just as easy.
I do still make sure to get paper boarding passes- there are times when IT system crashes and paper is needed or when you're trying to sort out frequent flyer miles crediting after IRROPS where they come in handy. But most of the time, they get shoved to the bottom of a carry on after being printed.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:38 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,559,485 times
Unless I'm going to the Caribbean, most international flights out of Dulles fly out after 5 PM. It just really depends on the time of year, late August-early September, it's not too packed due to kids going back to school. We try to aim for two hours before departure.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:40 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,639,165 times
About 2 hr should be good unless it is LAX

Old 04-02-2018, 02:42 PM

13,910 posts, read 7,405,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because gate numbers are changed all the time, sometimes you'll even get a ticket with no gate number at all. Because international terminals are often much father than domestic ones with lines that are usually longer. Because international flights are sometimes delayed, which will make you miss your connecting flight, and you need to be aware of the information. Because there is almost always traffic on the ride leading up to the airport

Are you sure you're a road warrior? The time is to compensate for the things you cannot control.

I'm glad some of you guys can show up 90 minutes before an international flight. Clearly you don't live near a busy airport.
What is this "get a ticket" thing? I do that 24 hours in advance on my iPhone. The British Airways BOS-LHR flight I take all the time is always Terminal E and one of the last 2 or 3 gates on the left after you clear security. BA has been using those same gates since the 1980's when I first started flying to the UK frequently. The BA application on my iPhone shows the gate and the display panels posted all over the terminal show the departure gates. The only thing I have to do is show my passport to a gate agent before they start boarding the flight. I've been in that security line many, many times. I know how long it takes at various time of day. 90 minutes before flight departure at Logan terminal E for the morning flight when you're not checking bags is plenty.

I don't do connecting flights. To get to Europe, I taken the BA morning flight and crash in London. I continue on my way the next day already adjusted to the time zone. I'm at Terminal E a bit after 6am. After all these years, I certainly know how long it takes me to get to Logan to hit the terminal at 6am.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:18 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,447,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
I have flown internationally a few times already. I have arrived 3 hours before an international flight and whenever i did, it always felt like it was way too early when i had to wait a while. To those of you that fly internationally, how many hours before the flight is it still fine? I know you have to check in yourself and luggage at least 1 hour before your flight leaves. But do people have issues arriving say 2 hours before departure without any issue?

The thing is it all depends on the carrier that you are flying with and their lines right? Like if very few people are on line, well even 1.5 hours is good but of course that is not good idea. Because for those of you who travel internationally and fly with luggage, do most of you check in online or do you check in at the airport? Or do you check in with the kiosk at the airport? I only used the kiosk once i believe but that was because someone was there to help me etc. But the thing is if you have a checked bag, is it the same as if you are waiting in line or not? Because i recalled once when i checked in online at a kiosk at the airport, i might have had a checked bag and there was no line for me to wait at all. However, that was at a different airport though so it might been less busy.

But in general if you are flying internationally and with a checked bag, does it take same time waiting in line like most people as oppose to checking online with a kiosk? Because if you do it at a kiosk, do you still have to be on the same line or there is a different line? Because i think when i did this a while back at kiosk, i went into shorter line. So if thats the case, wouldn't that mean arriving even 2 hours before flight departure is good enough? But if you have no luggage and check in online, then that mean you don't even need to wait in line at all since you just have to go through TSA? Im flying internationally and have a checked bag and i want to know are there issues if you arrive there say 2 hours before the flight. Or say 2.5 hours. I ask this because my flight would be very early.
I think it depends on whether they do customs before you take off or not... some countries do. Most do it when you land but some do it before. You would want to allow time for that if they do it before you take-off. They do this in Dublin.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:02 PM

For those who connect in ATL, if your boarding pass for the next flight out of Atlanta says 'South Terminal' or 'North Terminal', it means a gate hasn't been assigned for the flight yet. Do not try to find either of those airside of security; they only refer to domestic terminals landside and outside of security. 'International Terminal' is the landside area outside of the F Concourse; international flights might actually be departing from any gate from T to F.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:51 AM

5,691 posts, read 8,760,259 times
Beachmouse, maybe you can help me with this. My international ticket starts in ATL but I decided to get a puddle jump ticket from home airport. There will be 5 hours between flights. Will I be able to check in within the security zone or do I need to go out to the main terminal and re-enter. No checked baggage.

As for the original question: I would imagine it depends entirely on the airport. When my ticket begins in Podunk, it is ludicrous to be there 3 hours early. All I have had to do in ATL is take the "subway" to the international terminal and grab a to-go dinner to eat on the plane.

Are you saying there is a 2nd international terminal now?

Old 04-04-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Beachmouse, maybe you can help me with this. My international ticket starts in ATL but I decided to get a puddle jump ticket from home airport. There will be 5 hours between flights. Will I be able to check in within the security zone or do I need to go out to the main terminal and re-enter. No checked baggage.
I think the answer is that 'it varies' based on whether you're on the Delta/Sky Team ecosystem or not (Delta definitely has areas where you can do that, airlines with smaller presences there, not so much) if you can't just do online check-in.

The 'International Terminal' is effectively the landside of F concourse and international airlines like Lufthansa have their desks there instead of on the T side of the complex.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:12 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,760,259 times
The last time I flew out of ATL and it wasn't Delta it was TWA so you know that was a long time ago.

This time it will be Lufthansa. So I will have to plan on more time for security? What if I print my ticket at home? I had no idea there was an F concourse.

Thank you in advance for your help. Do you ever fly Lufthansa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or