U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 12:49 PM

11,735 posts, read 6,312,833 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't have tipped and would've given him a similar look in return for good measure. He did nothing special or extra to warrant a tip. Quite frankly, I have a huge problem with people who expect tips for merely doing their job to begin with. When taking a cab, for instance, I never let the driver load my bags into the trunk, but will do so myself instead. I can't tell you how many cabbies still expect a tip all the same . . . And don't even let me get into those cabbies who intentionally take the long route to have the meter run longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 09:58 PM

25,087 posts, read 23,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
We visited Chicago last weekend and stayed in a nicer boutique hotel. When we checked out, I inquired of the front desk attendant about getting a taxi to the train station. She said, "Certainly, the bellman can help you with that" and directed us to the bellman who was standing nearby. He simply pointed out the front door of the hotel and said, "There's a taxi already waiting out there, M'am" so we picked up our bags and proceeded outside and loaded them in the back of the taxi. I happened to glance back at the bellman and he was giving me a kind of incredulous look, which made me wonder if he was expecting a tip. Normally, had he been required to call a taxi or had he helped us with our bags, I would have gladly tipped him, but in this case he simply pointed at a taxi that was already sitting out front and we carried our own bags.

Did I do wrong? Was he entitled to a tip? I'm just curious for future reference, as we don't normally use a taxi when we travel but will be traveling to NYC in May and likely be traveling by taxi again there.
No. I wouldn't have tipped that. People want a tip for opening their mouth and speaking? Ridiculous.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:03 PM

25,087 posts, read 23,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Stacking the dishes in a restaurant is going too far IMO, but as for housekeeping, we rarely stay in hotels on vacation, always renting a pool home in the U.S., or Portugal or Spain in Europe.
The day we’re leaving, my wife will vacuum the place top to bottom, check windows for finger marks, strip all beds, wash and dry bedclothes and towels, put fresh sheets and duvet covers in a neat pile on the beds.
All dishes, crockery, silverware, will be sparkling, and in their places in cupboards and drawers, not one item in the dishwasher or on draining boards, she’ll mop and dry all tiled floors, and wipe clean all tiled walls in kitchen and bathrooms, unless it’s garbage collection day, she’ll bag up all trash, and seek out a dumpster en route to the airport.
I think she does this as she doesn’t want anyone to think that she’s a dirty, untidy person, which she emphatically isn’t.
My take is, “You can take the girl out of Peckham, but you can’t take Peckham out of the girl.”
I've never been to Peckham, so I can't even imagine.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:24 PM

38,084 posts, read 55,866,888 times
Quote:
... as for housekeeping, we rarely stay in hotels on vacation, always renting a pool home in the U.S., or Portugal or Spain in Europe.
The day we’re leaving, my wife will vacuum the place top to bottom, check windows for finger marks, strip all beds, wash and dry bedclothes and towels, put fresh sheets and duvet covers in a neat pile on the beds.
All dishes, crockery, silverware, will be sparkling, and in their places in cupboards and drawers, not one item in the dishwasher or on draining boards, (...), she’ll bag up all trash, and seek out a dumpster en route to the airport.
I think she does this as she doesn’t want anyone to think that she’s a dirty, untidy person, which she emphatically isn’t.
^^^ This is me also. Not that much in a hotel (although I would never leave a mess like wet towels or bed sheets on the floor, or trash all over the place), but I certainly do it all in a rented home/condo/apartment or time share. I will leave the place looking the same way as I found it, short of vacuum, moping and cleaning the windows.

Back on topic: no, I wouldn't tip the bellboy either.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:56 AM

5,764 posts, read 4,182,912 times
We are not shy or cheap about tipping, but no, you didn't owe him anything if his only service was to point out the door.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:13 AM

4,995 posts, read 7,322,528 times
Quote:
Stacking the dishes in a restaurant is going too far IMO, but as for housekeeping, we rarely stay in hotels on vacation, always renting a pool home in the U.S., or Portugal or Spain in Europe.
All dishes, crockery, silverware, will be sparkling, and in their places in cupboards and drawers, not one item in the dishwasher or on draining boards, she’ll mop and dry all tiled floors, and wipe clean all tiled walls in kitchen and bathrooms, unless it’s garbage collection day, she’ll bag up all trash, and seek out a dumpster en route to the airport.
My take is, “You can take the girl out of Peckham, but you can’t take Peckham out of the girl.”
Your wife is a dream tenant, renter, guest, whatever. If only most or all people did that when they stayed somewhere. .

And I agree with others, you did not need to tip him. He didn't do anything. He merely pointed his finger.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:37 AM

40,253 posts, read 15,201,298 times
People, please remember the topic presented in the first post.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:49 AM

72,064 posts, read 83,719,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I did tip the cabbie 20% but he actually did something. Thanks for the reassurance that I wasn't rude to the bellman, I really didn't think that he earned a tip.
you did just right in my opinion

Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 AM

5,030 posts, read 1,812,349 times
I'm pretty sure this is the definition of a "first world problem".

Old 04-02-2018, 11:50 AM

38,084 posts, read 55,866,888 times
^^^ not really. This is something only Americans are obsessed about. They rather tip everyone than worry about who should or shouldn't get a tip. And since we are so tip crazy, you see tip jars in the most inappropriate places. Opportunists have a field day...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel