U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:17 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,432,603 times

Advertisements

We visited Chicago last weekend and stayed in a nicer boutique hotel. When we checked out, I inquired of the front desk attendant about getting a taxi to the train station. She said, "Certainly, the bellman can help you with that" and directed us to the bellman who was standing nearby. He simply pointed out the front door of the hotel and said, "There's a taxi already waiting out there, M'am" so we picked up our bags and proceeded outside and loaded them in the back of the taxi. I happened to glance back at the bellman and he was giving me a kind of incredulous look, which made me wonder if he was expecting a tip. Normally, had he been required to call a taxi or had he helped us with our bags, I would have gladly tipped him, but in this case he simply pointed at a taxi that was already sitting out front and we carried our own bags.

Did I do wrong? Was he entitled to a tip? I'm just curious for future reference, as we don't normally use a taxi when we travel but will be traveling to NYC in May and likely be traveling by taxi again there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 02:00 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,593,647 times
If he didn't do anything but point from inside to a cab waiting outside & you loaded up your own bags, nada tip. Zilch.

In NYC at least a dollar a bag has been standard for a long time for bellmen that help with bags, 15-20% of toll is typical for cabbies but at least a couple of dollars. Most have credit card machines now & Uber is all over.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:09 PM

I did tip the cabbie 20% but he actually did something. Thanks for the reassurance that I wasn't rude to the bellman, I really didn't think that he earned a tip.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,981,922 times
I don't think so. I think you're probably misreading his look. But if everything happened as you described, I would not have tipped and believe almost everyone would have done the same.

Perhaps he was planning to help you with your bags and was "reacting" to you taking your own bags...

Old 03-30-2018, 07:20 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,905,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I don't think so. I think you're probably misreading his look. But if everything happened as you described, I would not have tipped and believe almost everyone would have done the same.

Perhaps he was planning to help you with your bags and was "reacting" to you taking your own bags...
My thought as well

Old 03-30-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

You are both probably right, I'm a small town girl for the most part and big city hotel protocol is fairly foreign to me, although we already had our bags in our hands when this all occurred, so to me it would have seemed strange to set our bags down and ask him to pick them up and carry them out to the taxi. Then again, I'm one of those odd souls who ties up the hotel room garbage to help out the housekeeping staff so what would I know?

Anyway, I'm just glad that it doesn't appear that I stiffed him.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:18 PM

1,463 posts, read 637,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
We visited Chicago last weekend and stayed in a nicer boutique hotel. When we checked out, I inquired of the front desk attendant about getting a taxi to the train station. She said, "Certainly, the bellman can help you with that" and directed us to the bellman who was standing nearby. He simply pointed out the front door of the hotel and said, "There's a taxi already waiting out there, M'am" so we picked up our bags and proceeded outside and loaded them in the back of the taxi. I happened to glance back at the bellman and he was giving me a kind of incredulous look, which made me wonder if he was expecting a tip. Normally, had he been required to call a taxi or had he helped us with our bags, I would have gladly tipped him, but in this case he simply pointed at a taxi that was already sitting out front and we carried our own bags.

Did I do wrong? Was he entitled to a tip? I'm just curious for future reference, as we don't normally use a taxi when we travel but will be traveling to NYC in May and likely be traveling by taxi again there.
Going strictly on what you said, then no, I wouldn’t have tipped him.
As a retired licenced London taxi driver, I used to be amazed when sitting on a rank at a hotel, where the first cab was maybe 3-4 metres from the hotel door, and people would walk out, no bags, and instead of walking to the first cab and getting in, they would follow the doorman maybe 5 steps, then when he opened the door, put a £5 bill, ($7) in his hand.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 AM

2,417 posts, read 4,111,161 times
Quote:
I'm one of those odd souls who ties up the hotel room garbage to help out the housekeeping staff

Me too! I'll wipe the wash basin over, make sure I haven't left any trash on the floors, and even leave the TV remote control exactly where it was when I first entered the room. Hmm....I wonder if I have OCD.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Me too! I'll wipe the wash basin over, make sure I haven't left any trash on the floors, and even leave the TV remote control exactly where it was when I first entered the room. Hmm....I wonder if I have OCD.
It looks like I have a soul sister in England, because I do those things too. I think it's just from being a wife and mother for so long that I'm used to tidying up after myself and others and I appreciate what a grueling job hotel housekeeping can be, and for relatively low pay. I place all of the used towels in one neat pile, wipe down the counters, straighten up the beds, tie up the trash as I already mentioned, and turn off the lights on my way out. Definitely OCD, I suppose, but that's ok.

I also stack my dishes and silverware neatly on the table after a meal in a restaurant so that it will be easier for them to bus the table, but that probably is going a bit too far.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:58 AM

1,463 posts, read 637,401 times
Quote:
It looks like I have a soul sister in England, because I do those things too. I think it's just from being a wife and mother for so long that I'm used to tidying up after myself and others and I appreciate what a grueling job hotel housekeeping can be, and for relatively low pay. I place all of the used towels in one neat pile, wipe down the counters, straighten up the beds, tie up the trash as I already mentioned, and turn off the lights on my way out. Definitely OCD, I suppose, but that's ok.

I also stack my dishes and silverware neatly on the table after a meal in a restaurant so that it will be easier for them to bus the table, but that probably is going a bit too far.
Stacking the dishes in a restaurant is going too far IMO, but as for housekeeping, we rarely stay in hotels on vacation, always renting a pool home in the U.S., or Portugal or Spain in Europe.
The day we’re leaving, my wife will vacuum the place top to bottom, check windows for finger marks, strip all beds, wash and dry bedclothes and towels, put fresh sheets and duvet covers in a neat pile on the beds.
All dishes, crockery, silverware, will be sparkling, and in their places in cupboards and drawers, not one item in the dishwasher or on draining boards, she’ll mop and dry all tiled floors, and wipe clean all tiled walls in kitchen and bathrooms, unless it’s garbage collection day, she’ll bag up all trash, and seek out a dumpster en route to the airport.
I think she does this as she doesn’t want anyone to think that she’s a dirty, untidy person, which she emphatically isn’t.
My take is, “You can take the girl out of Peckham, but you can’t take Peckham out of the girl.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel