U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 01:52 PM

3,213 posts, read 3,203,041 times

Advertisements

Bora Bora.

May still go one day God willing, but it's not really on the list for me anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 03:15 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,708,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Most of us have a running bucket list of places you want to visit. Have you crossed any off your list but never visited?

I have always wanted to go to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, I have been to New Orleans but not Mardi Gras, crossed off my list as the crime in the city with big crowds is not for me.

Istanbul, always seemed so exotic, my daughter was able to go about 5 years ago and loved it, me that part of the world to unstable for my tastes.

Japan, the long flight and expense have made me cross this off my list.
I saw New Orleans on a guided tour with my parents when I was ten years old. It was interesting, lots of history; I still remember some of it. I'll go back only when they get the outrageous crime rate under control. I saw Istanbul when I was fifteen years old, again with my parents. I might go back when they stop hating America, stop threatening America, and stop criticizing America on a daily basis.

My bucket list was the entire world. I have scratched off many places that have high crime rates (Rio de Janeiro, and quite a few other Latin American cities) and places that hate the US (Turkey, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, etc.).

Old 03-30-2018, 03:56 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,353,032 times
Off the list: any where on a long plane flight.

We got very sick evacuating Hurricane Irma on a plane sitting next to and surrounded by people at deaths door, almost ended up in hospital ourselves and we were very healthy pre-boarding.

May take a cruise to Europe (need lots of money) in order to see France, Spain, Netherlands but quite honestly travel in-person has lost a lot of charm. Hard to say why exactly but we are 60-something and the hassles of air travel tarnish the joy of seeing new places.

The last time we flew to Europe (years ago) it was also horrible, spent hours on tarmac even before the long flight to Italy. Being exhausted on arrival sucks and we were much younger then. Drive vacations in the US are less stressful. Colorado is on our list this summer.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:35 PM

4,444 posts, read 1,686,490 times
There was a time, in the other century, when it was possible to island hop in the Caribbean on inter-island ferries. But they have nearly all shut down, and air is the only way to get from one island to the next, at outrageous fares for the 30 minute flights. I missed out on that chance, and no longer consider it one of the possibilities.

I also wanted to drive up to James Bay, in Quebec, on a very good road leading to towns where you can be taken on a day trip to a Nunavut Island with a local outfitter. But I don't drive any more, and never got around to that.

I had already pretty well crossed off the central Asian -stans as places I'd never see, but a few years ago, I just said tohellwithit, and booked a ticket to Bishkek, and loved it.

If I can ever get in another trip, it might be to Mongolia, New Zealand or Papua New Guinea, but the chances don't look good, at my age. I/d love to go to Pakistan, but I keep hearing horror stories about just getting a visa.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:15 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,835,513 times
Anywhere in Brazil

I was really interested but I've seen the news about all the crime, no thanks. Same for south Africa, no way am I going to risk it.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:08 AM

13,956 posts, read 7,429,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
France. It used to have such a charming, Old World European appeal, but now it seems like it is nothing but a hotbed of terrorism. The threat may be exaggerated based on news coverage, but still...I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I also feel a little bit this way about London but not as much. I would still consider that trip if the opportunity ever presented itself.
Yeah, tourists get gunned down in the streets of Paris.

Paris around Gare du Nord has the ambiance of a refugee camp but that's not terrorists. Lots of US cities aren't any better. Walk under the Convention Center in Philly sometime.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:20 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,905,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Anywhere in Brazil

I was really interested but I've seen the news about all the crime, no thanks. Same for south Africa, no way am I going to risk it.
Sadly there is going to be a bloodbath there, much of what is happening has been ignored by mainstream media.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:37 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,641,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
LOL, not funny really, but I had always wanted to do a Baltic Cruise as I've always had a strong desire to visit St Petersburg, chalk that up to all the Russian lit I read and studied. My husband had no desire, he felt even in summer Baltics would be too chilly, heat heat was his mantra, plus he said he wouldn't step a toe in Russia. Unfortunately he passed away last March and I'm doing this cruise in August, just hoping all the political bs doesn't have the cruise diverting from St Petersburg.

South Africa had been on the list at one time but distance, expense and all the ugly things happening there I've crossed this off my list as well.
I loved the Baltic Cruise! One of my favs. Coming from Vegas, it was not too cold either, just right. St Petersburg, wonderful! Enjoy!

Been to South AFrica twice, must say Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. Went on safaris, last time I was there was 2 years ago. Never was scared. Common Sense plays a big role in traveling. AT this time it was J-burg the TA told us to not go out a night in. Was so hoping to go back

Old 03-31-2018, 10:22 AM

8,204 posts, read 11,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
India and Egypt and Turkey. I'd LOVE to go to all of them. DH refuses. Maybe if he croaks and I'm still physically able to travel that far.
Then why not go without him? My wife & I travel a lot together, (in fact, we just came back from a 22-day trip to Singapore, Bangkok, Vietnam, Taipei, and Hong Kong) but we don't always travel together. In June, I'm going to Las Vegas to play in the WSOP, and in August my wife will travel with a girlfriend to the Amalfi Coast. Neither one of us have any interest in the other's trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
France. It used to have such a charming, Old World European appeal, but now it seems like it is nothing but a hotbed of terrorism. The threat may be exaggerated based on news coverage, but still...I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I also feel a little bit this way about London but not as much. I would still consider that trip if the opportunity ever presented itself.
LOL

Time to step away from your cable news network. And let me take a wild guess as to what your favorite cable news network might be and how you came to believe that terrorists were overrunning France & London, lol.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:10 PM

531 posts, read 191,763 times
Israel, but it just comes across as too risky to me now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or