U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:40 AM

2,474 posts, read 908,781 times

Advertisements

Well, looks like I'll be the only one on here whose Bucket List consists solely of domestic travel. And that's because I couldn't do any real traveling when I was young. Today, I don't trust my health for international traveling, but there are places within the US I want to see.

One is a Scenic Route 1 drive along the Eastern coast. Don't know when that will take place.

Mardi Gras next year. Been to New Orleans but never for MG.

Yosemite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 02:59 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,395,991 times
Good thread.

I have crossed some island destinations off, because i really only want ONE great island vacation - never had one, and i'm not sure which i'd pick yet.

I get great advice from my sister who travels the world. I will give some of it here, even tho no one asked lol.

She and her husband arent rich, they just save and live frugally when home. They are retired teachers, travel is their hobby. She has been almost everywhere in the world. Her husband helps her be "fearless," and she also has had cancer on and off since the age of 42. She's now 70.

You get priorities in order, and figure out what you DO want to do and what really isn't that important - when you get cancer, according to her. She doesnt worry about what's going to happen on the plane - she's survived breast cancer twice and now has bone cancer. She DOES take a Xanax to help with her nerves while flying, though! She doesn't really worry ahead of time about terrorism, but of course doesnt go where there are current warnings against travel.

She has swam in the Red Sea, and visited Jerusalem and many holy areas. They love cold areas like Switzerland and Austria as much as they love the islands. The only place they never go anymore is any Mexican resort or town. They just always seem to get sick no matter what, and she can't afford that. She doesnt understand why people go when you have SO many other choices.

When i asked her to give me their favorite island destinations, she's always picked three A's: Aruba, Antigua, and Anguilla.

They also love Turks and Caicos.

I know they have not been to Singapore, which is on my bucket list, because the flight is SO long. So i may be crossing that one off. They also have not been to Australia, but have been to New Zealand.

Just some thoughts about travel.

I'm keeping Wales on mine, as my maternal grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from there.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 AM

7,751 posts, read 9,059,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The Galapagos Islands. At our age we aren't really physically in shape enough to really enjoy them. (And no, we are not going to go on the Celebrity Explorer. That's a trip just to SAY we've been there. And frankly I don't think a ship that large should be allowed to be there.)

Been to South Africa and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. But I doubt we'll ever travel to Africa again.

India and Egypt and Turkey. I'd LOVE to go to all of them. DH refuses. Maybe if he croaks and I'm still physically able to travel that far.
I'd reconsider the Galapagos. It really isn't that rough. We had someone on the tour I was in with COPD and she handled it just fine. I'm not sure what condition you're in but might be worth it to reconsider.

I have Egypt on my bucket list but it's low owing to the instability that can be encountered and this probably sounds totally close minded, but the presence of squat toilets. Israel and Jordan are two countries that also seem very interesting but are low on my list for the same reasons as Egypt.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:57 AM

7,751 posts, read 9,059,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
France. It used to have such a charming, Old World European appeal, but now it seems like it is nothing but a hotbed of terrorism. The threat may be exaggerated based on news coverage, but still...I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I also feel a little bit this way about London but not as much. I would still consider that trip if the opportunity ever presented itself.
You need to stop watching Fox News...

Old 04-02-2018, 10:45 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,438,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You need to stop watching Fox News...
(sigh)...This would be funny if it wasn't just so tiresome. Please see below, my response to another individual who also makes erroneous assumptions and uses broad and inaccurate stereotypes:

Nope, sorry to disappoint you, but I do not watch Fox News, nor do I watch CNN or MSNBC or any other cable news network on a regular basis. I simply rely on reports of current events in all forms of media, and pretty much every major story to come out of France in recent years has involved random terrorist attacks that killed scores of innocent victims.

List of terror attacks in France in 21st century - India.com

London has had their share as well, sadly:

London attacks: A timeline of recent terror incidents in the city

I never said that it happens every day, or even every year, but it is often enough that it has cast a bit of a pall over tourism to these destinations, not just for me but also for others:

Paris Attacks: Tourism Slump Could Drag Down Economy | Time

London tourism at risk after terror attack

It is truly a shame that these beautiful, timeless cities are bearing the burden of this sad trend, but it does make one think before shelling out thousands of dollars for a vacation. If it was just me you might have a point, but clearly it is not.

Curiously, I notice you had nothing to say to the people who are afraid to travel to places like Brazil, South Africa, and Israel for safety reasons.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:51 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,916,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
(sigh)...This would be funny if it wasn't just so tiresome. Please see below, my response to another individual who also makes erroneous assumptions and uses broad and inaccurate stereotypes:

Nope, sorry to disappoint you, but I do not watch Fox News, nor do I watch CNN or MSNBC or any other cable news network on a regular basis. I simply rely on reports of current events in all forms of media, and pretty much every major story to come out of France in recent years has involved random terrorist attacks that killed scores of innocent victims.

List of terror attacks in France in 21st century - India.com

London has had their share as well, sadly:

London attacks: A timeline of recent terror incidents in the city

I never said that it happens every day, or even every year, but it is often enough that it has cast a bit of a pall over tourism to these destinations, not just for me but also for others:

Paris Attacks: Tourism Slump Could Drag Down Economy | Time

London tourism at risk after terror attack

It is truly a shame that these beautiful, timeless cities are bearing the burden of this sad trend, but it does make one think before shelling out thousands of dollars for a vacation. If it was just me you might have a point, but clearly it is not.

Curiously, I notice you had nothing to say to the people who are afraid to travel to places like Brazil, South Africa, and Israel for safety reasons.
SIGH is correct, I started this thread just to see if anyone has crossed off places from their bucket list but had never went for WHATEVER reasons, some just can't help themselves from lecturing.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:13 PM

7,331 posts, read 4,181,280 times
I haven't scratched any places off my bucket list permanently yet, but I'm holding off on Turkey to see how things develop there, and I'm holding off on Antarctica because of the cost.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:35 PM

8,608 posts, read 11,101,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'd reconsider the Galapagos. It really isn't that rough. We had someone on the tour I was in with COPD and she handled it just fine. I'm not sure what condition you're in but might be worth it to reconsider.

I have Egypt on my bucket list but it's low owing to the instability that can be encountered and this probably sounds totally close minded, but the presence of squat toilets. Israel and Jordan are two countries that also seem very interesting but are low on my list for the same reasons as Egypt.
From first hand experience, I can tell you that there are plenty of conventional "sitting" toilets everywhere in Egypt that timid white people tread. ESPECIALLY Giza. I'm not knocking you. There's a zero point zero chance that I'm taking a squatty potty. But I have an advantage, where I'm a guy, and the world is my urinal. For everything else there is immodium that will give me a day to find a proper porcelain altar.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:05 PM

2,553 posts, read 1,649,701 times
Israel but it is not really on my bucket list.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:12 PM

4,235 posts, read 7,275,250 times
I spent a big part of my life traveling as a trucker and on motorcycles just to see the country. Nowadays I am content to sit in my LazYBoy and read about adventures in far off places. I have been all over North America but I have yet to visit Hawaii. It is still on my bucket list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or