Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:25 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Most of us have a running bucket list of places you want to visit. Have you crossed any off your list but never visited?

I have always wanted to go to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, I have been to New Orleans but not Mardi Gras, crossed off my list as the crime in the city with big crowds is not for me.

Istanbul, always seemed so exotic, my daughter was able to go about 5 years ago and loved it, me that part of the world to unstable for my tastes.

Japan, the long flight and expense have made me cross this off my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 08:09 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I once used to think I wanted to visit the 5 land continents. America & Europe are done, but I think I might cross Australia off the list, as the journey is so long. But I still intend to visit Asia & Africa.
Still deciding on which countries in those regions

Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
The Galapagos Islands. At our age we aren't really physically in shape enough to really enjoy them. (And no, we are not going to go on the Celebrity Explorer. That's a trip just to SAY we've been there. And frankly I don't think a ship that large should be allowed to be there.)

Been to South Africa and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. But I doubt we'll ever travel to Africa again.

India and Egypt and Turkey. I'd LOVE to go to all of them. DH refuses. Maybe if he croaks and I'm still physically able to travel that far.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:27 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,603,842 times
Since I'm older & time is limited I'm considering visiting places I might retire to or snowbird in, mostly abroad but also at home. Places I'm just curious about have fallen to the bottom of the list which really means they have been crossed off, that includes a lot of Europe & Japan.

Probably a lot of SE Asia that I haven't visited yet tho' wanted to for years has been crossed off: Laos, Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia; I still consider Penang, Malaysia a possibility. The Caribbean is crossed off except perhaps for Cuba, but doubtful. Hawaii is off too.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The Galapagos Islands. At our age we aren't really physically in shape enough to really enjoy them. (And no, we are not going to go on the Celebrity Explorer. That's a trip just to SAY we've been there. And frankly I don't think a ship that large should be allowed to be there.)

Been to South Africa and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. But I doubt we'll ever travel to Africa again.

India and Egypt and Turkey. I'd LOVE to go to all of them. DH refuses. Maybe if he croaks and I'm still physically able to travel that far.
LOL, not funny really, but I had always wanted to do a Baltic Cruise as I've always had a strong desire to visit St Petersburg, chalk that up to all the Russian lit I read and studied. My husband had no desire, he felt even in summer Baltics would be too chilly, heat heat was his mantra, plus he said he wouldn't step a toe in Russia. Unfortunately he passed away last March and I'm doing this cruise in August, just hoping all the political bs doesn't have the cruise diverting from St Petersburg.

South Africa had been on the list at one time but distance, expense and all the ugly things happening there I've crossed this off my list as well.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Since I'm older & time is limited I'm considering visiting places I might retire to or snowbird in, mostly abroad but also at home. Places I'm just curious about have fallen to the bottom of the list which really means they have been crossed off, that includes a lot of Europe & Japan.

Probably a lot of SE Asia that I haven't visited yet tho' wanted to for years has been crossed off: Laos, Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia; I still consider Penang, Malaysia a possibility. The Caribbean is crossed off except perhaps for Cuba, but doubtful. Hawaii is off too.
I've seen enough of the Caribbean, you seen one island you just about seen them all, Cuba is still high on my list

Old 03-30-2018, 11:04 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,081 times
Great post! Really interesting stuff. I'm about 40 and (fingers crossed) hopefully have several healthy decades left to explore the world, so I'm not permanently deleting anything from my bucket list yet.

That said, since my daughter was born in 2013 and my wife and I now have reduced incomes, we've moved a lot of destinations from our list of "let's visit soon" to "maybe in 10 years." Those include Peru, Japan, Morocco, Galapagos, Australia, and many Southeast Asian nations.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:28 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
I used to be fascinated by the Pyramids and all that area, but no way I'm going there in any future I'll be a part of. Used to want to visit rural England and Ireland, but not really anymore. Not even Macchu Picchu really intrigues me that much....

I hope I'm not too feeble to enjoy the Galapagos---planned for Nov. Since we live "nearby" now, LOL.

Cruising to Italy will be our one big splurge in a couple weeks; that might be it for long and costly adventures....

Old 03-30-2018, 11:50 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,487 times
The Galapagos Islands.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:08 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
France. It used to have such a charming, Old World European appeal, but now it seems like it is nothing but a hotbed of terrorism. The threat may be exaggerated based on news coverage, but still...I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I also feel a little bit this way about London but not as much. I would still consider that trip if the opportunity ever presented itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel