Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 05:57 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times

Advertisements

We decided to do global entry instead of precheck.

How long does the approval take so we can go get our interview/finger prints done? Then after that how ling does it take to get the final approval/ID whatever it is you get?

We decided for global entry because we do Mexico about once a year, in addition to one or two domestic trips per year.

Hate lines and taking off my shoes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 06:19 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Approval is quick. For me it was about 2 weeks.

The time delay is getting an open slot for an interview at the nearest authorized place, usually airports. You can check the nearby center wait times and book one. If an earlier one opens up you can choose that and cancel the original one.

Mine took 4 weeks. Finger printing is done at site and card is mailed in 10 days but the KTN number is given on same day and can be used, since it is tied to passport

Old 04-09-2018, 12:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
~ 10 days / 2 weeks AFTER your interview.

Then you must 'register' your card / approval and list it on all your carriers 'under your profile'
(if you have someone getting your mail.. be sure you tell them to get you the PASSID #, as you will need THAT ONE... (there are 5 unique numbers on your Global Entry card (just like our government to complicate it...)
IIRC there is another code required to activate the card. Simple if you are at home, very complicated if you are not at home.

I get Mexico and Canada with my 'enhanced DL' as I have for 10+ yrs.

TSA Pre... good luck. on my 4 flights in the last 3 days, TSA Pre was open ZERO times, (often they open at 7AM and close at 5PM) including pretty big / high traffic airports (such as Las Vegas). Shoes came off each time. (as they always do (hiking / work boots and NO checked baggage). I travel light and often (12 flights this week.)

I try to limit my travel times to DARKNESS hours (I don't like burning daylight (doing ANYTHING during the daylight that COULD be done in the dark... eat / bath / sleep (drive and fly).. so I am often too late or too early for TSA-Pre. Since that is the case... I often 'forget' that I have a couple laptops and iPads that must come out of the bags (so then I require 'personal attention ) . I donate a LOT of stuff to TSA. The Denver supervisor likes to 'bid the confiscated goods' to TSA employees. I raised a stink about that practice and got detained. So... if they take your favorite broach (Grandma's) and a TSA employee likes it. You 'wish-them-well' With me it is only tools. Sometimes I will fly for weeks without incidence... then someone @ TSA nabs it. Ironically, in China they took a measuring instrument from me, but I told them I would be back in a month. They met my next flight with my item! (no one spoke English, but I am OK at Charades,) I dislike giving away stuff that I bought while making $2/ hr and have used for 40 yrs. but with TSA... you just need to 'grin-and-bare' it. )

I find TSA becoming far more irritating as more employees are now getting the 'entitlement' syndrome. (Been there long enough for 'tenure' ...)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-09-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel