U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 03:30 PM

2,417 posts, read 4,106,691 times

Advertisements

Wexford, in the South-East corner of Ireland, and not too far from Waterford, famous for glass-making. Wexford is a cute little town to wander round, with several local attractions, including the John F. Kennedy Arboretum.
Top Attractions | Visit Wexford

https://www.ireland.com/en-us/destin...aterford-city/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 05:15 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,386,385 times
Best advice I was given and found to be the case in my Brit Isles travels was to focus on the things of importance to me and skip the rest. As well, allow way more time than you think it should take to do things, be places, and enjoy.

For me, London is a place to check out a few museums of interest, and a few restaurants. Greenwich is a whole day event for me. I could care less about the royal jewels and the pomp that goes with the throne, let alone the todo about royal properties, the tower, etc. Frankly, easy to get overwhelmed by the place after a couple of days ... just way too much "big city" for me.

Personally, I do a lot better heading to the outlying areas of England where I can more easily meet up with the local people, trades, crafts, history of various industries of interest to me, fishing, sailing, pony trekking, and so forth. So, upon our most recent trip to Gatwick last Fall, the highlight of London was a quick departure from the airport car hire lot to points West on our way to Wales.

OTOH, if the royal pomp and castles and tower and jewels are of interest to you ... that's where they're at ... London. As well as some big famous shopping stores, if that's what appeals to you to spend you time there.

So, what's your pleasure? What do you want to gain from your time in London? in Ireland?

Without knowing what your real interests are, it's hard to give you meaningful places to go/see and things to do there.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:35 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,539,886 times
London? Your options are endless. Look at tripadvisor or any good guide book, like the rough guides. Then you can decide.

In London, you have theatre, music, great museums, fascinating neighborhoods, great parks, canals - Camden town shows one off well...I could go on, but I'm not visiting - you are.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:00 PM

215 posts, read 118,307 times
The Tower is a huge tourist attraction, but don't let that put you off. It's something to see and experience. Hang out and soak up the weird old vibes.

Also, the main war museum in London. Any of the big museums in London are worthwhile except maybe the film one.

And try to get in some theater and music. Ronnie Scott's is a good "jazz" club -- they are friendly and the acts can be good.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 9,269,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
Heading to Ireland and London. ..Sightseeing suggestions welcome. ..Ireland 7 days renting car and London 4 days. .Thank u
Ireland:

Purple Cliffs of Mohr

Ring of Kerry

Blarney Castle

Bunratty Castle

Northern Ireland/Antrim County including Giant's Causeway and Carrick n Rede

Dublin. Full day including Book of Kells at Trinity College, Grafton Street, Dublin Castle, Hapenny Bridge, Guinness Brewery, Kilmainham Jail, James Joyce and Molly Malone statutes.

London: Eye of London (ferris wheel), walk along the Thames, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Big Ben and Parliament Building, Churchill's War Rooms, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, British Museum and Buckingham Palace.

Just outside of London: Bath, Stonehenge, Windsor Castle.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Do CAREFULLY watch the weather... very few CLEAR days / yr on the NW and W coast, so keep your route / plan 'flexible'.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Try to fit in a Motorcycle RACE!!!

Isle of Man (Someone surely wants to do that!)
https://www.iomtt.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or