Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:24 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,394 times

Advertisements

Ill be going on a friday and usually the website has a few hundred openings but says to go at 9am. I work midnights wondering if I could go at noon. Maybe ill call

My question is, what do you get for the 85$ 5 year term? A card? An ID? Do you get it that day? We're going to Mexico in about 45 days!

Sick of waiting so long and taking off my shoes. Ill pay the 85 bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 09:54 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,907,926 times
Global Entry is a better deal if you travel out of the country often. You get through customs much faster at most airports. No customs lines. And you also get TSA precedí on domestic flights. You get a number and a card. You use the number when you make your airline reservations. We have had Global Entry for years and find it works well. Keep in mind you can still get pulled out for random screenings.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:15 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Global Entry is a better deal if you travel out of the country often. You get through customs much faster at most airports. No customs lines. And you also get TSA precedí on domestic flights. You get a number and a card. You use the number when you make your airline reservations. We have had Global Entry for years and find it works well. Keep in mind you can still get pulled out for random screenings.
When do you get the number and card? Wonder if we can add the number to our reservation now since we are more than a month out

Old 04-03-2018, 12:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Takes a couple weeks AFTER your interview to get the card (with your 'Trusted Traveler' number). THEN you enter it into your Airline Profile. The interview people do not issue your card, nor know the number.

As far as I know, you MUST meet your appointment time (we had to fly 2500 miles to find an available appointment. ) Next time... Nexus (cheaper / Faster to get that Global Entry)

Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
I had my interview on August 5, and didn’t receive my Known Traveler Number until Sept. 13. (Just checked my old emails)

Old 04-03-2018, 08:06 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
The turnaround for PreCheck approval is about 1-2 business days this year in many cases. We applied on a Friday in early February and had e-mails with our Trusted Traveler numbers by the following Monday night. No physical card for that; jut the number you enter in a frequent flyer profile or add to an existing ticket.

Getting a Global Entry appointment is highly annoying if you don't live near one of their enrollment centers- those appointments can book up months out and walk-ins are highly discouraged. In theory, there's supposed to be a way to make an appointment in some airport locations when you're returning to the USA from outside the country so check with the Global Entry web site and se how that works.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Ill be going on a friday and usually the website has a few hundred openings but says to go at 9am. I work midnights wondering if I could go at noon. Maybe ill call

My question is, what do you get for the 85$ 5 year term? A card? An ID? Do you get it that day? We're going to Mexico in about 45 days!

Sick of waiting so long and taking off my shoes. Ill pay the 85 bucks
You paid for TSA pre-check for one trip?
Often the pre-check lines are longer than the non-precheck.

Some airports also have a frequent flyer or premium line. That might be what you want, but again can't get that in one trip.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:01 AM

6 posts, read 6,061 times
Pre-check is the best $85 you'll ever spend if you fly more than once or twice a year.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:07 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You paid for TSA pre-check for one trip?
Often the pre-check lines are longer than the non-precheck.

Some airports also have a frequent flyer or premium line. That might be what you want, but again can't get that in one trip.
The OP didn't say that he paid for Precheck for one trip. Just that he wanted to have it in time for his upcomig trip.

Even when the Precheck lines are longer (which isn't often) they move MUCH faster. I'd still take a longer Precheck line over a shorter regular line.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:19 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The OP didn't say that he paid for Precheck for one trip. Just that he wanted to have it in time for his upcomig trip.

Even when the Precheck lines are longer (which isn't often) they move MUCH faster. I'd still take a longer Precheck line over a shorter regular line.
You see I framed it in a question mark, no?

Another point is if he was a frequent flyer he would get it for free, or they used to give it for free. My Delta premium account USED to get it for free but it seems random now. I am guessing I get it more than not as probably TSA automatically has me flagged as frequent and low risk. My conclusion is - 1.) if you don't fly a lot it's a waste of money for just a few trips a year, 2.) if you fly a lot it's a waste of money as you will probably get it for free as part of the random process regardless, or a perk with your premium FF membership. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel