Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 09:28 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You see I framed it in a question mark, no?

Another point is if he was a frequent flyer he would get it for free, or they used to give it for free. My Delta premium account USED to get it for free but it seems random now. I am guessing I get it more than not as probably TSA automatically has me flagged as frequent and low risk.
Yes, and I addressed your question.

It's always been somewhat random, but there's certainly less of it now. Since the Precheck lines have been growing, they seem to be doing less of the random selection for the Precheck lane, and mostly going for the passengers who have been through the formal application and interview process.

What many folks may not know is that airlines often offer a voucher to pay for the application process using points. I got my Precheck using Southwest points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:01 PM

746 posts, read 837,904 times
I fly about 40 weeks a year and have both the pre-check and global entry.
However, about half of the time I go into the regular lanes since they are faster than any others. It is no longer worth paying anything for. Wear slip-ons...

Old 04-03-2018, 01:37 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I fly about 40 weeks a year and have both the pre-check and global entry.
However, about half of the time I go into the regular lanes since they are faster than any others. It is no longer worth paying anything for. Wear slip-ons...
Exactly...and TSA precheck don't help too much when you are on a return international flight. In fact it's worthless.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:54 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
My question is, what do you get for the 85$ 5 year term? A card? An ID? Do you get it that day? We're going to Mexico in about 45 days!
If you have already booked this flight then it is too late. A trusted traveler number can't be added to an existing reservation. It has to be given when the reservation is made. Or so it was when I got precheck.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:59 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Even when the Precheck lines are longer (which isn't often) they move MUCH faster. I'd still take a longer Precheck line over a shorter regular line.
True in my experience as well. For those few times when the regular lane turns out to be faster, the overall process is less than 10 minutes anyway, which is fast enough for me. I'm also willing to put up with an extra few minutes to dispense with the hassle of shoe removal, laptop removal, bag-o-liquids removal, and nude-o-scope scanning.

Just went through security at O'Hare terminal 2 this morning, and there was no one in front of us in the precheck line. I'm fine with that.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:05 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
If you have already booked this flight then it is too late. A trusted traveler number can't be added to an existing reservation. It has to be given when the reservation is made. Or so it was when I got precheck.
It can be added, but it may involve a phone call to the airline (rather than doing online).

I think it has to be done somthing like 72 hours in advance before they prescreen the manifest.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:25 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1107ecu View Post
Pre-check is the best $85 you'll ever spend if you fly more than once or twice a year.
I so agree with this. I fly 3-4 times a year and it's a fantastic investment. I am rather careful about keeping my feet clean and walking around a filthy airport floor in stocking feet completely grosses me out. For that reason alone (being able to keep my shoes on), it is well worth it!!

Old 04-03-2018, 07:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I fly about twenty times a year and love my pre-check. Occasionally the line is longer, but you don't have to take off your shoes, take out your computer or your liquids out.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:33 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
What does Rockford, IL have to do with this thread?

Only Allegiant and Apple Vacations even use the facility and honestly, the lines are very minimal on most days.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It can be added, but it may involve a phone call to the airline (rather than doing online).

I think it has to be done somthing like 72 hours in advance before they prescreen the manifest.
You can add your 'Trusted Traveler" # up until the time you get your boarding pass / check in. I have had to add it to several carriers (last minute)

TSA Pre... not really worth it unless you travel every week or so.

Many times it is closed or too crowded anyway (like after 6PM at one of my regular airports)

100+ flights / yr for me.

Shoes off for TSA 100% of the time (steel arches) takes about 4 seconds per leg to 'lace up' (I have never owned a pair of 'slip-ons' ... maybe when I get to be age 95+ then I will go for velcro )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel