U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2018, 09:55 AM
 
1,088 posts, read 488,867 times
Reputation: 2890

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneAngel21 View Post
People that constantly make comments and expect you to reply to them because they need "human contact". Just because I have to sit next to you for six hours on this plane doesn't mean I want to learn your life story. Shut the hell up and let me read my books in peace
Thankfully it's rare, but I'm not interested in talking to seatmates either. They are usually looking for an audience, not a conversation.

One forgivable exception - I once had a woman sitting next to me who asked me to talk to her during takeoff so she would not get sick. I'm terrible at small talk, so I asked her about the book she was reading. So we had a short chat and then went back to our respective comfortable silence. She was appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2018, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Bloomington IN
6,535 posts, read 7,796,348 times
Reputation: 15955
The main thing I find annoying is people that don't know how the TSA pre-check line works. I'm guessing they don't travel frequently, and they've paid an extra fee with their ticket to get into the Pre-check line for their one flight in a year. I don't understand why they wouldn't figure out how to use prior to getting to the airport. They block the line taking off shoes and belts and removing liquids from their bags and on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 11:03 AM
 
1,088 posts, read 488,867 times
Reputation: 2890
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The main thing I find annoying is people that don't know how the TSA pre-check line works. I'm guessing they don't travel frequently, and they've paid an extra fee with their ticket to get into the Pre-check line for their one flight in a year. I don't understand why they wouldn't figure out how to use prior to getting to the airport. They block the line taking off shoes and belts and removing liquids from their bags and on and on.
Heck, I feel this way about a lot of people who are in the regular (non pre-check line). Tons of metal jewelry, shoes that need to be untied/re-tied, acting like deer in headlights putting their stuff in the bins etc to be scanned, waiting until they are practically at the scanner before starting preparations, moving slow as molasses, then trying multiple times to figure out what part of their apparel is setting off the scanner. Have they been living in a cave for the past decade? How can you not have some familiarity with the process by now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,691 posts, read 8,476,377 times
Reputation: 29370
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Heck, I feel this way about a lot of people who are in the regular (non pre-check line). Tons of metal jewelry, shoes that need to be untied/re-tied, acting like deer in headlights putting their stuff in the bins etc to be scanned, waiting until they are practically at the scanner before starting preparations, moving slow as molasses, then trying multiple times to figure out what part of their apparel is setting off the scanner. Have they been living in a cave for the past decade? How can you not have some familiarity with the process by now?
Why don't we blame the proper individuals, rather than the victims of the process? We're so used to these inefficient, overly invasive security measures people like yourself act like it's the passengers' fault the process is slow. It's not. The fact is, the US security check-in process is bloated, inefficient, and not that effective. No country on earth has as inefficient a system as ourselves. And before anyone brings up 9/11 again and how necessary it is, in a country as advanced as our own, there is surely a better way of screening passengers than the pathetic system we have now. It's an embarrassment. And not everyone travels frequently. I don't, and I have to carefully consider what I need to do when I go through the line. Even then I'm clumsy and uncoordinated and I don't apologize that impatient people behind me can't stand to wait an extra 30 seconds while I get my bearings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 11:39 AM
 
611 posts, read 344,769 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Heck, I feel this way about a lot of people who are in the regular (non pre-check line). Tons of metal jewelry, shoes that need to be untied/re-tied, acting like deer in headlights putting their stuff in the bins etc to be scanned, waiting until they are practically at the scanner before starting preparations, moving slow as molasses, then trying multiple times to figure out what part of their apparel is setting off the scanner. Have they been living in a cave for the past decade? How can you not have some familiarity with the process by now?
Traveling is stressful, even on a good day. Warriors like you know all the terminals, all the airline perqs, preferred seats, etc., etc. Others are just trying to start a vacation, attend a funeral, visit a sick relative, and yeah they can't hold a candle to your competence in the TSA line. Making you and the TSA happy is important in the overall scheme of things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 11:47 AM
 
1,088 posts, read 488,867 times
Reputation: 2890
LOL at "warrior". I travel a couple times a year at most, usually to different cities each time.

It's really not that hard to learn what you need to do to get through security without encountering a bunch of hassle. And yes, the process is absurd and ineffective, but it's not going away anytime soon. FWIW, since I clearly struck a nerve here, I'm referring mostly to the people who don't even seem to grasp that they're in an airport, not people that just happen not to move at the speed of light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Upland, CA
3,661 posts, read 6,483,307 times
Reputation: 4128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why don't we blame the proper individuals, rather than the victims of the process? We're so used to these inefficient, overly invasive security measures people like yourself act like it's the passengers' fault the process is slow. It's not. The fact is, the US security check-in process is bloated, inefficient, and not that effective. No country on earth has as inefficient a system as ourselves. And before anyone brings up 9/11 again and how necessary it is, in a country as advanced as our own, there is surely a better way of screening passengers than the pathetic system we have now. It's an embarrassment. And not everyone travels frequently. I don't, and I have to carefully consider what I need to do when I go through the line. Even then I'm clumsy and uncoordinated and I don't apologize that impatient people behind me can't stand to wait an extra 30 seconds while I get my bearings.
I travel somewhat frequently overseas, and our security is pretty similar to everywhere else I've been, save for maybe the taking off of the shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 01:16 PM
 
Location: On the road
5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Reputation: 11331
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I travel somewhat frequently overseas, and our security is pretty similar to everywhere else I've been, save for maybe the taking off of the shoes.
Yep. It's pretty funny hearing people whining about security in USA when it's pretty much same crap different toilet everywhere else, or when they turn drama-queen level to 11 claiming they were violated or molested by the invasive procedures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 02:50 PM
 
Location: PNW
2,474 posts, read 904,009 times
Reputation: 8312
#1) Taxi drivers that cannot find the address we're headed to. This has literally happened to us 3 times in New Orleans, and we always stay just outside the French Quarter.

Airports, Period
Chatty people next to me in a plane
Unappreciated weather changes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2018, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,691 posts, read 8,476,377 times
Reputation: 29370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why don't we blame the proper individuals, rather than the victims of the process? We're so used to these inefficient, overly invasive security measures people like yourself act like it's the passengers' fault the process is slow. It's not. The fact is, the US security check-in process is bloated, inefficient, and not that effective. No country on earth has as inefficient a system as ourselves. And before anyone brings up 9/11 again and how necessary it is, in a country as advanced as our own, there is surely a better way of screening passengers than the pathetic system we have now. It's an embarrassment. And not everyone travels frequently. I don't, and I have to carefully consider what I need to do when I go through the line. Even then I'm clumsy and uncoordinated and I don't apologize that impatient people behind me can't stand to wait an extra 30 seconds while I get my bearings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I travel somewhat frequently overseas, and our security is pretty similar to everywhere else I've been, save for maybe the taking off of the shoes.
You may be right. The only international travel I've done in the past decade was several trips throughout Mexico. It was a dream. Empty pockets, put bag on conveyor belt, walk through the metal detector, done. Nevertheless, complex screening procedures are confusing to many and patience is a virtue throughout all aspects of the air travel process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top