U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 06:10 PM

323 posts, read 117,774 times

Advertisements

Rude tsa agents, long wait for flights, having to wait at the gate to board, rude gate agent who clearly see me standing there...ugh...hate airports ...isn't there a faster way to get places???
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 08:54 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,644,115 times
Something that seems to be trending is not posting gate allotments until 5 minutes before boarding begins. In small airports this isn't too much of a problem but in large international airports with literally hundreds of gates it means you end up milling around in a central area then running for your gate at the last minute.

Other dislikes include airlines who don't provide enough water on long haul flights or even worse budget airlines who charge for water. Crew who demand you return to your seat when you get up for a 5 minute stretch mid-flight and people who hog the bathrooms.

Also in total agreement with the weather comment, we try to pick reasonable times to visit and when the weather turns just plain nasty its hard to be upbeat and enjoy our vacation.

TSA or the like .... who actually enjoys having to pass through security. In a regional airport in the UK I had my washbag held back for extra checks, all my liquids were in my checked bag with a small tube of toothpaste in a plastic ziplock bag as requested. The agent declared that our solid deodorants were liquid, when I pointed out they were solid she said "if you heat them they melt to a liquid" errr so does steel if you heat it enough .... good lord !!!!!!

Old 04-17-2018, 10:30 AM

7,682 posts, read 16,103,744 times
The only time I've been bugged about late gate assignment was at Heathrow, where they use 'we have too little gate space for air traffic load' as an excuse to dump you into the duty-free area for an extra 30 minutes and hope you buy stuff. I've heard a fair number of Brits describe LHR as a shopping mall that just happens to have na airport attached to it.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:46 PM

1,090 posts, read 490,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
TSA or the like .... who actually enjoys having to pass through security. In a regional airport in the UK I had my washbag held back for extra checks, all my liquids were in my checked bag with a small tube of toothpaste in a plastic ziplock bag as requested. The agent declared that our solid deodorants were liquid, when I pointed out they were solid she said "if you heat them they melt to a liquid" errr so does steel if you heat it enough .... good lord !!!!!!
I've always put deodorant in the ziplock bag, I vaguely remember early on when the gel/liquid thing started that it was included in that category.

I used to put Chapstick in the ziplock bag as well. Then I had a flight where I forgot one in my pocket, and nothing happened. I've done that a couple more times (i.e. not in ziplock bag) and so far (fingers crossed) it hasn't caused an issue. So either that does not qualify or the TSA agents don't care.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:28 PM

9,805 posts, read 5,012,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I used to put Chapstick in the ziplock bag as well. Then I had a flight where I forgot one in my pocket, and nothing happened. I've done that a couple more times (i.e. not in ziplock bag) and so far (fingers crossed) it hasn't caused an issue. So either that does not qualify or the TSA agents don't care.
I usually have 4 or 5 Burts Bees lip balms knocking around in my purse, and it's never been a problem.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:19 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,830,697 times
When you get your plane ticket from the front desk but there is still no gate number on it.
So you have the patiently walk around aimlessly looking at tv screens hoping you’re in the right area when your Gate number/terminal finally gets assigned

When you have a connecting flight but the gate is all the way across the other side so now you have to take numerous stairs, escalators, and trains to get to it in time

Old 06-25-2018, 03:21 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,830,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger34 View Post
Rude tsa agents, long wait for flights, having to wait at the gate to board, rude gate agent who clearly see me standing there...ugh...hate airports ...isn't there a faster way to get places???
Yes, lease yourself a private plane.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:21 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Unappreciated weather changes
Something really needs to be done about that. That is unacceptable.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:18 AM

61 posts, read 26,353 times
Great postings, folks. I'll add one more. Children need to be supervised and kept happily busy and entertained. Whether it's in restaurants, cars, planes, ships, etc., children want to be happy just like their parents. That means bringing a variety of items that the parent knows the child will enjoy.

Having my bench seat kicked through an entire meal (yup, it happened to me), my airline seat continually bumped (yup, again), is sure to turn a pleasant time into a major annoyance.

I don't mind crying babies and kids nor, even tantrums. Little ones do these things. BUT, parents who lack social savvy, parenting skills, and the ability to cope with their children make me very annoyed.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:21 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,851,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
When you get your plane ticket from the front desk but there is still no gate number on it.
So you have the patiently walk around aimlessly looking at tv screens hoping you’re in the right area when your Gate number/terminal finally gets assigned
This happened to us in London and we were surprised by this. It was the first time in all my flying where my boarding pass did not have a gate number on it. Right at one hour before departure, the screens updated with the gate number. I suspected it was because they either didn't know which gate the were going to assign the incoming flight to, or because it was a flight back to America and they just wanted to mess with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel