U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 04:10 PM

910 posts, read 465,223 times

Advertisements

Too many to list. We've all been there and we learn, but the rookie or once a year flyers that don't have a clue about tsa, gate assignments, boarding group assigments, and luggage procedures then throw tantrums when told what the rules are.

Although at times it can be entertaining, as long as my flight isn't delayed!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:58 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
This happened to us in London and we were surprised by this. It was the first time in all my flying where my boarding pass did not have a gate number on it. Right at one hour before departure, the screens updated with the gate number. I suspected it was because they either didn't know which gate the were going to assign the incoming flight to, or because it was a flight back to America and they just wanted to mess with us.
Common belief is that the point of late gate assignments at the London airports is to 'encourage' you to spend more time at the duty-free shops adjacent to those monitors rather than hanging around the gate not spending any additional money.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:57 AM

3,093 posts, read 821,997 times
I can identify with many of the above comments and what can you do but grimace and move on. Still ... a new one cropped up on this week's return international flight ... and the unexpected tends to annoy.

There are deplaning "protocols" that can differ by world region but generally it's expected that folks deplane aisle by aisle with those in the aisle seats rising when allowed to ready luggage to avoid delays.

The two of us keep one smallish backpack under our seat and place heavier items not needed during flight but that we prefer not be placed in our one lightweight checked bag in a soft-sided roller bag that goes into the bin.

Since my daughter is petite and I *am* getting older I take the bag down before the line starts to move and place it in my vacated aisle seat - all the better to do it carefully with folks' heads not close by nor risk creating a delay.

This time somehow the girl in the middle seat across from us squeezed into the aisle and decided to place her large stuffed backpack on her back while standing there. She nearly took me out forcing me back into passengers behind me. Then she turned taking up the entire "air space" of my seat while she waited for the line to start moving. My daughter in her interior seat kept dodging the backpack to avoid being hit.

My bag couldn't come down onto my seat meaning that I held up the line (I don't whip it down like some large men can) ... I couldn't see what was on my seat ... once she finally moved forward I looked down quickly to check. My seat looked empty with only the blanket remaining. Wrong. My daughter had not picked up my jacket which I discovered once I finally caught up to her at the end of the jetway.

So back down the jetway to ask a flight attendant who kindly fetched it. A hassle for her.

Folks there's a system - and it was kind of interesting how stuff falls apart when someone goes a bit rogue. The only thing I said to the girl as she was pushing me back with the backpack was that "there's no more room back here."

Her response: I'm just trying to make room for the window passenger to get out. Mind you, the line was not yet moving.

Needless to say she needed to go back to Physics 101 - Two Objects Cannot Occupy the Same Space at the Same Time!

Old 06-29-2018, 11:48 AM

5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
decided to place her large stuffed backpack on her back while standing there
Yep they should never put on the big backpack on the plane, train, bus, etc.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:27 AM

2,300 posts, read 2,682,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
I do a lot of international travel, in both commercial and military aircraft. I have reached a point where I like milair better because I can stretch out somewhere on the aircraft, use my backpack as a pillow, and drift off to dreamland without worrying about people reclining into my lap, me reclining into someone else's lap, screaming babies (my coworkers and I have a joke about the ICAO-mandated screaming baby on every flight and yes, it's [mostly] a joke), and fake service dogs. I don't even care that military flights take longer and make side stops in odd places.

As far as commercial air, not much bothers me. Screaming babies, eh, that's what headphones are for. As for kids, just don't ask me to watch them and please don't let them invade my space. Chatty passengers, w/e. TSA? With the exception of a couple of overzealous patdowns, be polite to them and they'll be polite to you.

My ire is very specifically reserved for Spirit passengers traveling to Miami, which is a trip I make every few months. Silly, right? Spirit is okay for short-haul flights (2 hours or less) - they are, as their CEO once said, the Dollar General of air travel and you will pay for every single thing, but their fares are ridiculously cheap. People flying Spirit to Miami are a bunch of $35,000 millionaires who think there should be bottle service and a VIP section and they are doing Spirit a favor by gracing their aircraft.
Spirit doesn't fly to Miami. Maybe you meant FLL?

Old 07-01-2018, 09:55 AM

400 posts, read 148,918 times
The guy who went strolling through the gate area loudly discussing some very large deal he was about to close...and then his Bluetooth earpiece began ringing in mid-sentence.

Whoops!

Old 07-01-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
The guy who went strolling through the gate area loudly discussing some very large deal he was about to close...and then his Bluetooth earpiece began ringing in mid-sentence.

Whoops!
lol - Hilarious!

Old 07-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Comparatively speaking this is a very minor annoyance, but it does bother me. Why don't any of the rental cars ever have an owner/user manual? I can't tell you how many times we've rented cars and had difficulty figuring out how to use certain features on them. It's a pain. I've often had to look things up in the online manuals and am glad that I have that option, but it would be so much easier if the book was in the glove box.

Any thoughts about why they don't have them available?

Old 07-01-2018, 03:49 PM

400 posts, read 148,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Comparatively speaking this is a very minor annoyance, but it does bother me. Why don't any of the rental cars ever have an owner/user manual? I can't tell you how many times we've rented cars and had difficulty figuring out how to use certain features on them. It's a pain. I've often had to look things up in the online manuals and am glad that I have that option, but it would be so much easier if the book was in the glove box.

I would guess that many of them would find their way into the customer's bags. Why anyone would do that is a mystery, but people are strange. Unless they intend to Ebay them when they get home. Just guessing.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:54 PM

1,806 posts, read 807,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post

I don't have an explanation.

But when I can choose, I normally choose a vehicle I'm familiar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel