U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 04:01 PM

611 posts, read 344,769 times

Advertisements

That's easy -- lying airline employees who will literally say anything to get through their shift. They get away with it because they know 1) no one in management will hold them accountable, and 2) they will likely never see the other party again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 04:09 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,691,758 times
People walking barefoot into the aircraft lavs and then putting those same bare feet on the tray table. Yeah, it's actually a thing.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:12 PM

3,506 posts, read 5,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good posts, above!

Some of the things that annoy me when traveling:

-smelly passengers (this was a big problem when I was flying to India when more than a few people smelled of foul, unwashed underarms and curry . . . I wish I was kidding!)
-sitting in front of a very tall person on an airplane, which limits how much I can recline my seat
-bad local cuisine
Reclined seats are a problem, even for 5'2" me! If you are in front of me reclining your seat, I will have to disturb you if I get up for any reason. The seats are so tight that I can't stand up without grabbing and pulling your seat back, thus rocking your seat and waking you up. No one wins! For this reason, I never recline my seat.

Plus once on a long flight to Thailand, I did recline my seat and the gentlemen behind me ended up having his drink spilled all over him and it was my fault! I felt terrible and from then on NEVER reclined my seat.

Old 04-06-2018, 04:14 PM

3,506 posts, read 5,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
People walking barefoot into the aircraft lavs and then putting those same bare feet on the tray table. Yeah, it's actually a thing.
OMG! EEEWWWWW!! Who would ever do either of those things?!?

Old 04-06-2018, 04:15 PM

11,674 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Reclined seats are a problem, even for 5'2" me! If you are in front of me reclining your seat, I will have to disturb you if I get up for any reason. The seats are so tight that I can't stand up without grabbing and pulling your seat back, thus rocking your seat and waking you up. No one wins! For this reason, I never recline my seat.

Plus once on a long flight to Thailand, I did recline my seat and the gentlemen behind me ended up having his drink spilled all over him and it was my fault! I felt terrible and from then on NEVER reclined my seat.
I hear you. I don't recline my seat back as far as I can. But, when dealing with taller people, I am unable to even recline the normal, shortened length that I do. When on short flights, I can get through without reclining, but when I'm on 10+ hour flights, that becomes much more difficult to do!

Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 PM

3,661 posts, read 6,483,307 times
How about people changing their baby on the tray table.. I've seen this more than once!

Old 04-06-2018, 06:33 PM

15,878 posts, read 6,248,592 times
Unreasonably late check-in times and unreasonably early check-out times.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:47 PM

4,375 posts, read 1,663,688 times
How did I get so blessed? I have never had a single incident, of any of those related above. In five years, I've flown I think through 24 airports on six continents, and everybody around me behaves like the perfectly normal people I deal with at home.

Like, really, does it spoil your vacationt if the person next to you on the tour bus chews gum with her mouth open?

Old 04-06-2018, 08:00 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Flying. I stopped flying years ago. There's plenty to see in the U.S. via other modes of transportation.

Traveling too far in one day. The getting there part of traveling is not fun for me, for the most part. To me, it's losing a day anytime the day involves traveling. Then, at my age, it can take me another day to recuperate.

Sleeping on beds that are uncomfortable.

Trying to sleep where there are noises that keep me awake.

I've learned that what I love is experiencing new things, but I don't like to travel to experience them anymore. So, nowadays, I pretty much just do day trips. And it's why I moved back to the SF Bay Area, where I can live the rest of my life with every different type of experience I can enjoy, right here, and usually sleep in my own bed at night.

Sharing a room with anyone. I need my cave so I don't become the grumpy traveler.

Basically, I don't like the discomforts of traveling. Love new experiences. Really dislike the discomforts. They're just not worth it to me anymore.

If I could afford to charter my own plane, that I could sleep on, I'd probably enjoy it immensely.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:00 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,559,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post

In my recent flight from LAX to China, the lady next to me reclined her seat because the men front of her reclined his seat. The women behind the lady tapped on her back and said something in Chinese. I am assuming she said not to recline because there isn't any space for her. The women sitting next to me said something else back in Chinese, I am assuming "the men front of me reclined and I have no space if I don't recline". Few more words back and forth ended up both women screaming and yelling at each other. Air hostess jumped in and switched the seat of the women next to me with a man whose family was sitting next row over.

After hearing this fight, the lady front of me went ahead and reclined her seat way back. I didn't want to create another drama and since I don't speak Chinese, I did not want to start. I am 5'2'' and it still bothered me that the lady front had her seat in recline position for entire 10+ hour fight. I understand reclining while taking a nap for maybe 1-2 hour but the entire time is inconsidered. I had to tap on her back when meals were served to put it back. Every meal, It took double asking before she complied and then right after the trays were taken, the seat went back.

I prefer to rest by taking laps around the flight several times instead of reclining my seat. It really does hurt the person behind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel