U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:18 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,435,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
So, I just got back from a long trip. And I can think of a few things that annoy me about traveling: cramped airline seats, awful plane food, etc..

What are some of the that annoy you about traveling??
- Flight delays that go beyond the first announcement and the airline agents at the counter keep announcing new times of departure every 20 minutes for over an hour or so.
- Screaming babies or toddlers on flights. Although I do understand. They're miserable and bored being cooped up, unable to walk or run around, in a tight space for long periods of time. Not to mention, during the descent, the pressure on their ears is painful to them.
- Parent(s) who don't think ahead so they bring nothing for their child on long flights: no snacks or small toys, something to keep the child occupied.
- Parent(s) who just ignore their child's crying-wailing for the duration of the flight (meaning they don't try and comfort the child or ask the flight attendant for a snack for the child).
- Delayed baggage arrivals after the flight has landed. This is particularly bad on late night arrival flights which I seem to catch due to connecting flights.
- People with zone 4 or 5 boarding position line up in front of the boarding area as soon as announcements are made for Priority and first-class boarding is announced.
- Loud crackly PA systems at the airport in which numerous announcements are made at the same time by different airline employees. You can't understand what's being said.

That's enough for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 09:25 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,689,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
OMG! EEEWWWWW!! Who would ever do either of those things?!?
Quite a few. If you ever spill food on the tray table, don't pick it up and eat it!

Old 04-06-2018, 10:54 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,033,779 times
People who use a hotel as a one night stop on their trip and leave early in the morning screaming at each other..."did you get the XXX, hurry up, where are the keys", etc. while I am still trying to sleep.

People that beep their car door locks late at night and early in the morning over and over as they load or unload each item and take it to the room.

People who get into their room late at night and blast the tv or turn it on when they wake up early in the morning.

Yes, I like 11pm to 8 am quiet time in the hotels!

People who let their kids run up and down the isle of a train or airplane or through a restaurant.

People who do not buy their toddlers or baby a seat on a train or plane, then think that you won't mind their legs and feet on your lap or tray table for the trip, or that you will watch their kid while they go to the restroom or café car on a train. Or that their kid should be able to 'share' the seats that I paid for for my kids. Nope! I paid for a seat for my kids so that I do not have a kid on me for the trip. I paid for my kids seats so they have room to move a little and play. And I have my hands full watching and entertaining my kids without adding your kid to my duties!

People who are obviously sick, but who still go out and about exposing everyone else to their germs on airplanes, busses, trains, cruise ships, etc.

I guess a lot of things bother me, I am getting old!

Old 04-07-2018, 02:33 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Hmmm... I flew 30,000 miles in Q1 with no elite FT status. Most of it on United and some Southwest. I made Silver a couple weeks ago so it’s slightly better now.

30” seat pitch. I’m 6’2”. It should be illegal.

Screaming infants. Instead of free on lap, it should be a mandatory kid seat. The rest of us would be arrested for no seat belt. It’s apparently OK for an infant to be a projectile if something happens with the plane.

House pets with the $20 Amazon.com service dog harness. I had a Great Dane on a flight last month. I couldn’t believe it. A white one with Dalmatian spots. There was a 10 minute delay when the other passengers in that row refused to sit there. The Golden Retriever taking a dump in the aisle was special, too. That was an elderly couple in bulkhead seats who early boarded and took 10 minutes to get seated. That flight went out late, too.

I’m a career road warrior so I’m pretty accustomed to all the usual travel inconvenience. The 30” seat pitch and dog thing are new and the straw that breaks the camels back. Bose noise canceling ear buds and the audio cranked on my iPhone can drown out the screaming kids.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:16 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
People who use a hotel as a one night stop on their trip and leave early in the morning screaming at each other..."did you get the XXX, hurry up, where are the keys", etc. while I am still trying to sleep.
And on the flip side, people who stay out late and come in in the wee hours of the morning, almost always at least somewhat drunk, and talk and laugh loudly and stomp through the hotel hallways like a herd of elephants. I've heard people carry on entire conversations right outside my door at two in the morning and it annoys me to no end. We even had a couple of guys bang on our door and rattle our doorknob incessantly one night because they were apparently too drunk to realize that they had the wrong room. It is a little terrifying to be jolted out of a deep sleep by the sound of someone trying to get into your room.

Also people at the airport who will sit and wait to board their plane in an already overcrowded seating area and hog up empty chairs with their backpack, fast food meal, laptop computer, etc. Other people have to stand but at least that person's backpack is comfortable.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:54 AM

39,319 posts, read 2,966,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
And on the flip side, people who stay out late and come in in the wee hours of the morning, almost always at least somewhat drunk, and talk and laugh loudly and stomp through the hotel hallways like a herd of elephants. I've heard people carry on entire conversations right outside my door at two in the morning and it annoys me to no end. We even had a couple of guys bang on our door and rattle our doorknob incessantly one night because they were apparently too drunk to realize that they had the wrong room. It is a little terrifying to be jolted out of a deep sleep by the sound of someone trying to get into your room.

Also people at the airport who will sit and wait to board their plane in an already overcrowded seating area and hog up empty chairs with their backpack, fast food meal, laptop computer, etc. Other people have to stand but at least that person's backpack is comfortable.
If there is nowhere to sit, except on the backpack chair, I ask them to move it. My sitting, is more important, than a laptop or small case etc.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:50 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,426,347 times
Flying commercial.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:33 AM

5,745 posts, read 4,161,305 times
The hounds that try to entice you into time shares in motels or even in shopping centers,

or the vendors on the beaches at resorts. LEAVE ME ALONE! I just want to lay there and soak up a few rays without anyone bothering me.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:34 AM

14,685 posts, read 8,468,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
It's no one's fault, but I get really annoyed when the weather disappoints on a vacation. I don't expect perfect or unusually ideal weather, but I expect that if you allow more than 4 days or so for a destination, that you will generally get to experience it in roughly average weather for that place and time.

Again, it's no one's fault, but it's just something that really annoys me, as I love travel photography and exploring the outdoors, and unexpectedly bad weather truly dampens the entire experience.
My wife and I had that problem too. We went on a Club Med resort to Mexico a couple of years ago in May. May is usually an ideal time to go weather wise, and we had high hopes of spending most of the time on the beach, reading, swimming, and drinking lots of pina coladas. But our hopes were dashed by the incessant nasty weather. And it was just bad enough to prevent us from being on the beach 5 out of the 7 days: slightly chilly, windy, with drizzle to a light rain. It almost would have been better if it were thunderstorming.

At least then going to the beach would have been completely out of the question. Instead, we were wondering if we were being babies and we should try it anyway, then we kept deciding not to go, then changing our minds, thinking if it rained the whole time we would regret not braving the beach at least a little. And back and forth. Ultimately we didn't go out all 5 days. The day we were leaving it was brilliantly sunny and warm

Old 04-07-2018, 09:06 AM

215 posts, read 69,928 times
Specifically, cruising annoyances:

The herd. 3,000+ are usually trying to board the same boat at the same time, "in the heat". (When you fly to Florida from Minnesota in the dead of January, ANYWHERE else feels oppressively hot). Pack your patience. Bring a bottle of water, and get used to "the heat" - you'll have 7-10 days of it, buddy. Speaking of packing and boarding...

Try reading the rules/regulations before you board. No, it's NOT okay to go full on hillbilly, pack a cooler of beer, and wheel it aboard so you can save a few bucks, and then pitch a fit (and hold up the LONG line - in the heat - that you're complaining about) because your cooler and beer are confiscated and you're taken aside for questioning. (True story). It was amusing to watch the episode, though...

When you get on the boat after (patiently?) waiting and make a mad dash for the buffet, please be aware that those people that were ahead of you in line are, again, ahead of you in line @ the trough. Again, a little patience...and realize you won't die from temporary hunger. You have 7-10 days to make up for lost time...

AND - speaking of the buffet line - show a little respect for those who serve you, for God's sake, to and including the poor saps that take care of your stateroom. They are not your personal servants. Treat them well, talk to them, and don't be a cheap ass; tip them extra; they deserve it. Cruise ship staff, in general, have to deal with a lot of crap... to illustrate: on my last cruise, some old bat yelled at one of the servers (who was cleaning near the coffee station), because there were coffee stains near the dispenser (No sh*t!) Another old bat yelled at one of the maintenance personnel near the theater because someone dropped their dessert, yelling, "you've got a mess to clean up here!" NOOOO kidding, lady. Come to think of it, there were a lot of old bats on the last ship I was on (Celebrity), which may explain my hesitance to book another cruise... at least with that line - and, yes, here it comes; there's this:

Research, people! Some lines are not kid-friendly, such as the above mentioned. Don't complain about the lack of amenities for the younger crowd, and be prepared to shell out some $$$ for said amenities; Disney comes to mind. Also, please have some respect for the older crowd, too. They don't move that fast, and some of them may have health/cognitive issues, canes, wheelchairs, walkers, oxygen tanks, and some of 'em even have themselves a sweet little sugar mama/nurse, who is easy on the eyes & may be all too happy to help them have a good time aboard...Cut 'em a pass. Now, if they're being obnoxious pricks and trying to cut in line, hold your ground & respective place in line. Be observant; not everything is as it seems. True story: on one of my voyages, an old coot was using a blind-man's cane & sporting dark glasses, trying to cut in line at the main dining room entrance, trying to elicit a little sympathy, while balancing a chalice of wine in the other hand. It was a LARGE chalice of vino, BTW - and the "blind" man was seen 20 minutes later at his table (without the dark glasses on, but with a refilled chalice), visiting with his dinner companions, loudly crooning away, and then dancing (without the cane, no less) with his dinner companion to the tune of Dean Martin's "That's Amore'". It was a riot...it didn't spoil our vacation in any way, but did reinforce our philosophy of the human condition (at sea, at least)...

Onboard: it's a free for all, yes; however, have some courtesy, even if 9/10 of your fellows at sea don't. Veteran cruisers know what I speak of. No point in elaborating. Just kick back, order a mai-tai (or two), get some sun, relax, and enjoy yourself. Good times await, and people watching can be an activity in itself. Remember that 7 days can go by in a flash, although you may think you've got forever when you first get on board and survive the mad crush at the buffet line, get through the maritime procedures, and hoist a glass at the bon voyage party.

Finally, when you're 10 pounds heavier after surviving the temporary delay in first-day-at-sea lunch served in port (see above), again, please utilize the same patience (or try) as you disembark the vessel. We all have to get to the airport or our car, go home, and get back to our "normal" lives, and toil away for the next 51 weeks to save for the next boondoggle.

* The End *

Last edited by TheOldPuss; 04-07-2018 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel