U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 10:05 AM

4,347 posts, read 7,424,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
The hounds that try to entice you into time shares in motels or even in shopping centers,

or the vendors on the beaches at resorts. LEAVE ME ALONE! I just want to lay there and soak up a few rays without anyone bothering me.
Oh, yes, the time share people...

It must be awful to have to try to strong arm people into buying something that they don't want for a living.

Last edited by canudigit; 04-07-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 04:23 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,171,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Yes! This. Airline travel is stressful for a lot of reasons, but being b**chy makes it worse for everyone. People should remember their manners. lol
They can't remember their manners if they were never taught any!

Old 04-07-2018, 04:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,171,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Specifically, cruising annoyances:

The herd. 3,000+ are usually trying to board the same boat at the same time, "in the heat". (When you fly to Florida from Minnesota in the dead of January, ANYWHERE else feels oppressively hot). Pack your patience. Bring a bottle of water, and get used to "the heat" - you'll have 7-10 days of it, buddy. Speaking of packing and boarding...

Try reading the rules/regulations before you board. No, it's NOT okay to go full on hillbilly, pack a cooler of beer, and wheel it aboard so you can save a few bucks, and then pitch a fit (and hold up the LONG line - in the heat - that you're complaining about) because your cooler and beer are confiscated and you're taken aside for questioning. (True story). It was amusing to watch the episode, though...

When you get on the boat after (patiently?) waiting and make a mad dash for the buffet, please be aware that those people that were ahead of you in line are, again, ahead of you in line @ the trough. Again, a little patience...and realize you won't die from temporary hunger. You have 7-10 days to make up for lost time...

AND - speaking of the buffet line - show a little respect for those who serve you, for God's sake, to and including the poor saps that take care of your stateroom. They are not your personal servants. Treat them well, talk to them, and don't be a cheap ass; tip them extra; they deserve it. Cruise ship staff, in general, have to deal with a lot of crap... to illustrate: on my last cruise, some old bat yelled at one of the servers (who was cleaning near the coffee station), because there were coffee stains near the dispenser (No sh*t!) Another old bat yelled at one of the maintenance personnel near the theater because someone dropped their dessert, yelling, "you've got a mess to clean up here!" NOOOO kidding, lady. Come to think of it, there were a lot of old bats on the last ship I was on (Celebrity), which may explain my hesitance to book another cruise... at least with that line - and, yes, here it comes; there's this:

Research, people! Some lines are not kid-friendly, such as the above mentioned. Don't complain about the lack of amenities for the younger crowd, and be prepared to shell out some $$$ for said amenities; Disney comes to mind. Also, please have some respect for the older crowd, too. They don't move that fast, and some of them may have health/cognitive issues, canes, wheelchairs, walkers, oxygen tanks, and some of 'em even have themselves a sweet little sugar mama/nurse, who is easy on the eyes & may be all too happy to help them have a good time aboard...Cut 'em a pass. Now, if they're being obnoxious pricks and trying to cut in line, hold your ground & respective place in line. Be observant; not everything is as it seems. True story: on one of my voyages, an old coot was using a blind-man's cane & sporting dark glasses, trying to cut in line at the main dining room entrance, trying to elicit a little sympathy, while balancing a chalice of wine in the other hand. It was a LARGE chalice of vino, BTW - and the "blind" man was seen 20 minutes later at his table (without the dark glasses on, but with a refilled chalice), visiting with his dinner companions, loudly crooning away, and then dancing (without the cane, no less) with his dinner companion to the tune of Dean Martin's "That's Amore'". It was a riot...it didn't spoil our vacation in any way, but did reinforce our philosophy of the human condition (at sea, at least)...

Onboard: it's a free for all, yes; however, have some courtesy, even if 9/10 of your fellows at sea don't. Veteran cruisers know what I speak of. No point in elaborating. Just kick back, order a mai-tai (or two), get some sun, relax, and enjoy yourself. Good times await, and people watching can be an activity in itself. Remember that 7 days can go by in a flash, although you may think you've got forever when you first get on board and survive the mad crush at the buffet line, get through the maritime procedures, and hoist a glass at the bon voyage party.

Finally, when you're 10 pounds heavier after surviving the temporary delay in first-day-at-sea lunch served in port (see above), again, please utilize the same patience (or try) as you disembark the vessel. We all have to get to the airport or our car, go home, and get back to our "normal" lives, and toil away for the next 51 weeks to save for the next boondoggle.

* The End *
I find it a bit odd that you call older female passengers old Bats and older male passengers Old Coots and you also say "Respect elderly passengers".

I would also like to add, being in a wheelchair and having taken 17 cruises on various lines to PLEASE don't jump into the elevator when wheelchair passengers and waiting to use the elevator, it is the ONLY was that they can go from floor to floor. Personally I find the whole exit process from the ship to be the worst, even though I supposedly had priority disembarkation, because of the wheelchair, but both stairs and landings and elevators were all completely full so impossible to get to the departure area for priority disembarking, then you had to find an accessible taxi.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:57 PM

5,248 posts, read 5,173,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
-
- People with zone 4 or 5 boarding position line up in front of the boarding area as soon as announcements are made for Priority and first-class boarding is announced.
- Loud crackly PA systems at the airport in which numerous announcements are made at the same time by different airline employees. You can't understand what's being said.
That's enough for now.
Those two things are really annoying. Last time they made an announcement for our boarding group, I tried to make my way through the people (which I barely did) and then couldn't tell who was on the line (because they're all lined up) and then by the time I almost made my way, they started calling the next two groups after ours. And I could barely hear them.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:10 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Cranky and inconsiderate passengers. Especially those that complain when you need to get up and use the restroom on a plane when you're in the window seat. My other annoyance ins United Airlines.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:12 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Those two things are really annoying. Last time they made an announcement for our boarding group, I tried to make my way through the people (which I barely did) and then couldn't tell who was on the line (because they're all lined up) and then by the time I almost made my way, they started calling the next two groups after ours. And I could barely hear them.
That, of course, is not unique to travel, but it makes me wonder why we can talk to a man on the moon but not to a man in the departure lounge.

But sometimes annoyances can be turned into bright spots. The PA at the Cebu airport is so notoriously bad, that one of the desk clerks at the airline checkin who has a loud voice simply shouts out "Zamboanga, Zamboanga" in a voice that everyone in the departure area can hear clearly. He bypasses the elaborate electronic hardware that merely converts the human voice into noise. I wanted to stand up and applaud him, for that rare common sense departure from policy.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:52 PM

1,293 posts, read 948,749 times
Those who don't like cramped seats can always opt to business class.

London is always rainy I believe it would look ugly under bright sunshine. And, all moss will dry out and become yellow, how awful!

Local cuisine has right to be as it is, if someone doesn't like it, just don't go there, or stuff your suitcase with Campbell soup and Spam ham, and be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
People walking barefoot into the aircraft lavs and then putting those same bare feet on the tray table. Yeah, it's actually a thing.
- EWWW! Never saw it, but thank you, will remember this forever.

Kids, screaming non-stop after the plane is on the cruising altitude with parents paying no attention, and neighbors who can't behave or can't fit their bodies in their seats, are my problems. basically, everything else is just an age-related loss of fast adaptability, or being short of $$ to pay for everything to be first class. But if I need to choose between traveling cheap and not traveling at all, I'll choose cheap.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Those who don't like cramped seats can always opt to business class.

London is always rainy I believe it would look ugly under bright sunshine. And, all moss will dry out and become yellow, how awful!

Local cuisine has right to be as it is, if someone doesn't like it, just don't go there, or stuff your suitcase with Campbell soup and Spam ham, and be happy.

- EWWW! Never saw it, but thank you, will remember this forever.

Kids, screaming non-stop after the plane is on the cruising altitude with parents paying no attention, and neighbors who can't behave or can't fit their bodies in their seats, are my problems. basically, everything else is just an age-related loss of fast adaptability, or being short of $$ to pay for everything to be first class. But if I need to choose between traveling cheap and not traveling at all, I'll choose cheap.
Lots of people can't afford business or first class. I do agree with the comments on the local cuisine. Kids that misbehave and parents who don't control them are a major problem. I don't like that either.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:22 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Amazing. People complaining about unimaginable atrocities they have to face when flying. And then, a small child is subjected to the same disagreeable and uncomfortable circumstances, and you add the child's perfectly predictable and justifiable crying to the menu of annoyances.

I can shout and scream about the flight, but how dare an five year old fail to control his temper and sit quietly for six or twelve hours.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Amazing. People complaining about unimaginable atrocities they have to face when flying. And then, a small child is subjected to the same disagreeable and uncomfortable circumstances, and you add the child's perfectly predictable and justifiable crying to the menu of annoyances.

I can shout and scream about the flight, but how dare an five year old fail to control his temper and sit quietly for six or twelve hours.
Yes, kids will do that. And their parents need to be parents and correct it. Or better yet, hold off on flying (except in cases of emergency or other unavoidable reasons) until the kid is older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel