U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 04:36 AM

13,912 posts, read 7,405,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Amazing. People complaining about unimaginable atrocities they have to face when flying. And then, a small child is subjected to the same disagreeable and uncomfortable circumstances, and you add the child's perfectly predictable and justifiable crying to the menu of annoyances.

I can shout and scream about the flight, but how dare an five year old fail to control his temper and sit quietly for six or twelve hours.
What possible reason on the planet does an infant need to be on an airplane? Grandma and grandpa can get on a freakin plane and visit. That self-indulgent parental vacation can wait until the kid is older. If you make infants sit in a kid seat and charge for the seat, 99% of those screaming infants wouldn’t be flying. If you have a kid in your lap in a car, it’s a moving violation with an expensive ticket and insurance surcharge. What happens when a plane hits heavy turbulence? Projectile infant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 05:24 AM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What possible reason on the planet does an infant need to be on an airplane? Grandma and grandpa can get on a freakin plane and visit. That self-indulgent parental vacation can wait until the kid is older. If you make infants sit in a kid seat and charge for the seat, 99% of those screaming infants wouldn’t be flying. If you have a kid in your lap in a car, it’s a moving violation with an expensive ticket and insurance surcharge. What happens when a plane hits heavy turbulence? Projectile infant.
The child might have four grandparents and dozens of aunts and uncles and cousins, and the parents can take the baby to visit them, or charter an airliner for the family and go to see the baby. People are funny about babies.

I can think of a lot of other self indulgent people who can stay home if they can't stand for a few xanax-free hours the emotional trauma of associating with strangers who have lives of their own .

Old 04-08-2018, 08:44 AM

1,666 posts, read 782,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
And the ones yapping incessantly on those same phones, also 100% oblivious and obnoxious.
Hopefully those folks didn't set up the right phone plan before they left, and get hit with a $5,000 bill for international roaming and data use.

Quote:
There are lots of reasons to travel with infants and toddlers. When I worked overseas, I had lots of colleagues who had infants. What are they supposed to do, not make any trips the entire time they live in another country?

Old 04-08-2018, 08:58 AM

5,684 posts, read 5,934,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
So, I just got back from a long trip. And I can think of a few things that annoy me about traveling: cramped airline seats, awful plane food, etc..

What are some of the that annoy you about traveling??
Waiting.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:32 AM

9,805 posts, read 5,012,801 times
Quote:
What possible reason on the planet does an infant need to be on an airplane? Grandma and grandpa can get on a freakin plane and visit.
Not necessarily. Grandmas and grandpas are often elderly with medical conditions that prevent them from traveling.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Americans...

You know as soon as you have arrived back in the USA... because everyone is yelling into their cell phone!

While international... if someone is complaining or making a BIG issue.... (or delaying a queue. / tour activity...) it is often an American. Not always, but often.

Pets... while traveling in USA, everything must revolve around a few insecure people traveling with their ‘understanding’ and very disobedient and troublesome pets.

My pets are quite happy at home (outside... not bothering anyone.). They live on a Farm... so No neighbors to bother. Probably (generalized) because we hate kids and idolize pets. That will / is having payback.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:01 AM

15,909 posts, read 6,260,165 times
Last June I stayed at a leading luxury hotel in Washington for an American Jewish Committee convention. When I arrived the check-in line was chaotic, so I went to the bell captain station first. He wanted to just take my luggage. I insisted on seeing where it was placed. A wise move. I didn't get my room until 4:00 p.m., and even that was by complaining. Some in my group didn't get their room for another two hours. I received a $100 credit for this chaos.

When it came time to eat, the food was catered by a Kosher affiliate of the hotel. The Sunday night dinner was rancid and returned by eight of the 12 people sitting at my table. The breakfast buffet the next morning was virtually out of food 20 minutes after the start of a 90 minute buffet. I disputed an additional $50 of the $320 or so hotel charge. I won.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:11 PM

15,238 posts, read 8,527,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
It's no one's fault, but I get really annoyed when the weather disappoints on a vacation. I don't expect perfect or unusually ideal weather, but I expect that if you allow more than 4 days or so for a destination, that you will generally get to experience it in roughly average weather for that place and time.

A couple of examples that really got under my skin. Visited London one year in May, and allowed 6 nights to get a good experience there and to hopefully have several days of nice weather comfortable for walking around and exploring the city by foot. Instead, it rained almost non-stop for all 6 days to the point that it really ruined the experience. Spent 8 days in Norway last June (one of their driest months on average) and was expecting a reasonable mix of clouds, sun and rain. Instead, it was perpetually gray, rained for several hours every single day, and we seriously only had about 6 hours of sunshine and blue skies over the course of 8 days. Again, it's Norway and not Hawaii so I was not expecting 8 days of 80 degree weather and blue skies, but that was a big annoyance.

Again, it's no one's fault, but it's just something that really annoys me, as I love travel photography and exploring the outdoors, and unexpectedly bad weather truly dampens the entire experience.
I've always envied people who pay no notice to the weather and couldn't care less. But I am the daughter of the son of a farmer...and that runs deep - looking up at the sky, wondering what is coming, keeping track of the temperature and all the changes of the seasons. So I am very sensitive to weather and it greatly affects my moods. And trip planning - because I try to plan around whether it will nice out or cold out or rainy out. But of course planning doesn't always work out - and especially for photography where lighting is so important. All I can say is to try to build in flexibility and at least 25-50% of ideas for if you can't get outside - museums, long leisurely meals, etc.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:17 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,620,384 times
5 star hotels with bad food, dirty hotel rooms, bad plumbing
Plus cramped seats in dirty airplanes
Other than that I’m crazy about travel

Old 04-08-2018, 04:15 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Pets... while traveling in USA, everything must revolve around a few insecure people traveling with their ‘understanding’ and very disobedient and troublesome pets.
Plenty of Europeans take their dogs with them on rural holidays. And for the most part, they are far, far better behaved than their American counterparts. (I will make an exception for Benji, the worst dog in Bavaria.) Thing is, they're still very happy dogs if you go by canine body language and because they're presumed doggie good citizens, they're allowed in many more places that American dogs are not- typical in recreation areas to see there was a 'hund' rate for their owner to take them along on the cable car or ferry to the island or such. Life can get better for human and animal alike when people actually buy into the social contract and all.

Annoyance- loud CH&A units. Especially when they cycle on at 3:00am and wake me up from deep sleep. I'm not a great sleeper to begin with- one of the reasons I try to keep elite status in a hotel chain is because the request for 'quiet side of the building away from any elevators and ice machines' is more likely to get honored that way- and noisy heating or AC compounds that problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel