Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:07 AM

3,970 posts, read 7,670,284 times

Advertisements

AMEN!!!!!!! And it always seems like an act of congress to ask for an early check in or late check out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Unreasonably late check-in times and unreasonably early check-out times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 AM

lol! Agree with all of these. Also, on my long international flight, there were 2 families with small kids that were in the galley area! Totally in the way of the flight attendants trying to prepare the evening meal/snack. I had asked for some ice, and I felt so bad for them. The kids were running through the galley, the parents weren't even trying to contain them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
- Flight delays that go beyond the first announcement and the airline agents at the counter keep announcing new times of departure every 20 minutes for over an hour or so.
- Screaming babies or toddlers on flights. Although I do understand. They're miserable and bored being cooped up, unable to walk or run around, in a tight space for long periods of time. Not to mention, during the descent, the pressure on their ears is painful to them.
- Parent(s) who don't think ahead so they bring nothing for their child on long flights: no snacks or small toys, something to keep the child occupied.
- Parent(s) who just ignore their child's crying-wailing for the duration of the flight (meaning they don't try and comfort the child or ask the flight attendant for a snack for the child).
- Delayed baggage arrivals after the flight has landed. This is particularly bad on late night arrival flights which I seem to catch due to connecting flights.
- People with zone 4 or 5 boarding position line up in front of the boarding area as soon as announcements are made for Priority and first-class boarding is announced.
- Loud crackly PA systems at the airport in which numerous announcements are made at the same time by different airline employees. You can't understand what's being said.

That's enough for now.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:12 AM

I also thought of something else I hate, when people are lined up at the baggage carousel, like right up against it!! And they make it hard for other people to collect their luggage. And when peopled don't get out of the way when you're pulling your heavy AF suitcase from the belt!! If you get bumped into, it's your fault for not simply moving to the side while I get my suitcase!!

Old 04-10-2018, 09:04 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,870,942 times
Surprised no one mentioned bag fees. Am I the only person who remembers when bags flew free? And before anyone mentions the greatness of Southwest Airlines, I never ever find them to be cheaper to my destination, even when baggage fees are included.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:56 AM

1,347 posts, read 936,331 times
Paper thin walls and general lack of soundproofing in hotels, even the high-end luxury ones. I don't care how many amenities you have, it does not make up for being able to hear talking, TV, phones ringing, snoring, moving around, etc. from people in the next room, even when they are not being unreasonably loud. I really despise those doors that connect adjoining hotel rooms, even putting a towel at the bottom does not significantly reduce noise transfer.

I recently stayed at a "resort and spa" (where the event was being held) that is supposedly famous for its spa, relaxation, etc. They even had a published "quiet hours" policy that was supposedly strictly enforced. I still ended up having to knock on my neighbor's door at midnight to ask him to turn down the music he was playing, I could tell it was not at a super high volume but it might as well have been right next to my bed. I've had quieter stays at low-end no frills hotels.

Also regarding hotels:

1. Rooms that are a long walk from the stairs/elevator and front desk. This has happened to me the last two times I've stayed somewhere for events where I'm hauling a lot of stuff (dance comps). I guess I need to start specifically requesting a room that is not miles away from the elevator/lobby.

2. Stairs far away/inaccessible/can't figure out where they are. Nothing like waiting for an elevator for 2-3 flights.

3. Rooms with no refrigerator. I find that this actually happens more often at high-end luxury hotels than at more modest lodgings.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:30 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,322,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
The hounds that try to entice you into time shares in motels or even in shopping centers,

or the vendors on the beaches at resorts. LEAVE ME ALONE! I just want to lay there and soak up a few rays without anyone bothering me.
We were on the beach in Grenada years ago, and local women were going down the beach offering to braid female’s hair (for a fee). I was snoozing on my beach towel when one of them stopped and asked my hubby if I wanted my hair braided. He said, “But she’s asleep.” The woman said, “I won’t wake her up.” Thankfully, he declined. Imagine waking up on the beach with a whole new look! LOL

Old 04-10-2018, 10:34 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,676,906 times
When I book a hotel with a King bed and they give us two queens or two doubles!

Old 04-10-2018, 10:44 AM

29,440 posts, read 22,356,459 times
People that kick or manhandle your airplane seat.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:40 AM

13,259 posts, read 22,687,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Surprised no one mentioned bag fees. Am I the only person who remembers when bags flew free? And before anyone mentions the greatness of Southwest Airlines, I never ever find them to be cheaper to my destination, even when baggage fees are included.
Southwest's fares are not terribly competitive out of my local airports either. And I finally gave in and got the Delta credit card- we fly them the most and what we save on bag fees more than offsets the annual fee. The airlines just need to shut up with the shilling for their branded credit cards already. Yes, I like the one I have now and no, I don't need to upgrade my card to one that would double the annual fee and generate no real additional benefit for me. At least Delta seems to keep the credit card pushers mostly to the terminals not not make the flight attendants do the constant credit card spiel to passengers trapped in the metal tube like some of their competition.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:55 AM

51,587 posts, read 25,535,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Aside from their easy loading and no baggage fees, I love that Southwest employees are pleasant.

They joke around. They do their best to help you out. They are just pleasant people.

United employees often seem they are not working so much as fulfilling the terms of their probation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel