U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:44 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,559,018 times

Advertisements

Something that I haven't seen mentioned is when it comes to your debit card, if you're with a big bank like Bank of America, they have partner banks in Europe. Go to the ones they're aligned with b/c I think they either don't charge you the bank fee or something else (I forget off the top of my head).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 02:11 PM

486 posts, read 721,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Years in the Burgh View Post

If you're physically able to do so, definitely climb to the very top of the dome of St. Peter's. (You'll be climbing a spiral staircase with only a thick rope to hold onto at the end.) The view is spectacular and not everyone makes it up that high, so you'll have a somewhat unique experience to share. Also, take plenty of time to people watch. It's one of the best parts of traveling, I think.
I second this. Climbing to the top of St Peter's was one of the highlights of my Rome trip. However you have to be somewhat physically fit to climb all those stairs and some parts were claustrophobic. We also attended mass at St Peter's, one of the shortest Catholic masses I have ever been to. If you are a Catholic you know how long some masses can be... When we went to St. Peter's, security checked to make sure your knees and shoulders were covered. Many people (especially women) were denied entry because they had on short shorts and tank tops. Maybe that has changed, I don't know...

My favorite building was the Pantheon, we visited it twice, as it is free to enter. The ceiling is amazing if you love architecture and concrete domes. We visited a small gelato shop called Cremeria Monteforte next to the Pantheon that was quite good.

My least favorite was the Vatican Museum. My main gripes with regard to the Vatican Museum:
  • No special exhibits
  • Limited artwork on display
  • Exhibits inside the museum closed for no reason
  • No air conditioning
  • Very dark inside the Pinacoteca
  • Not much information about the artwork
  • Too many gift shops
  • Insanely crowded
  • Modern art collection hidden in a dark hallway
  • The musuem looked tired, just a "cash cow" to hurry the masses through

Old 04-19-2018, 10:50 PM

1,910 posts, read 960,433 times
Don't worry overly about looking like a tourist.........the locals and hawkers are going to KNOW you're a tourist no matter what you wear. That said, it's always good to dress conservatively. No use making yourself more of a target than you naturally are.

Please be respectful when visiting religious sites. No "daisy dukes" or strapless tops in St. Peters, please. Leave the risqué t-shirts at home. The best travel accessory I have is a 48" square of thin black silk that folds down into a very small packet. It has been a head covering, a wrap-around skirt and a sunshade all over the world.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:16 PM

6,564 posts, read 3,662,092 times
The crowds inside the Vatican Museum leading to the Sistine Chapel are so insanely huge that it is sometimes a fire trap -- no way to get those people out in a timely manner in case of emergency. If you have any unsettled feelings or fear of crowds I would not try this tour. You really can't enjoy seeing the Chapel once you finally get there and you start looking for the door.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 PM

46 posts, read 29,387 times
The Vatican doesn't interest me because of those very reasons mentioned above. Too many ppl. I wouldn't mind visiting St. Peters square though.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:41 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leegary1982 View Post
The Vatican doesn't interest me because of those very reasons mentioned above. Too many ppl. I wouldn't mind visiting St. Peters square though.
St. Peter’s square and even the basilica itself are fine, as they are large enough to handle the crowds. I can also recommend the Borghese Gallery; you have to buy your tickets in advance and you must enter at the time indicated on the ticket, but because admission is so strictly controlled the museum is never overcrowded, and the Donatello sculptures on display are breathtaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or