U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:58 PM

46 posts, read 29,372 times

Advertisements

My partner and I will be going to Rome for 5 days in May for my birthday. This will be my first long International flight and first time in Europe. I have so many things I want to see but is 5 days enough? I am also well aware of the pick-pocketing that goes on there. I plan to use a money belt. What are some things a first time visitor to Rome should do? What to eat? How will the weather in late May be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 10:49 PM

30,328 posts, read 27,788,363 times
It’s very crowded, so when you’re taking pictures be attentive while holding your cellphone, ipad or camera out in front of you. As you’re holding it, someone will come by snatch it then disappear into the crowd.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:53 PM

4,687 posts, read 2,315,197 times
Found this right away on google (and many similar):

https://travelpassionate.com/5-days-...time-visitors/

1. Check out the offerings on google. Definitely get a Frommers guide. or maybe something by Rick Steves. Found this and it has an app. Looks good:

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-rea...io-tours/italy

You can also download apps for street maps and transport (metros, etc for
Most major international cities. I have one for Barcelona and one for Madrid.

2. I have yet to visit Italy (can’t tear myself away from Spain and Portugal...but hope to include Italy next time), but I know what I would do: eat whatever the busiest cafes were serving, or just ‘whatever’ as I imagine the possibilities would be endless and great. Or try this site (OMG this looks so good...):

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/it...o-eat-in-rome/

3. Walking tour ( on my own). Explore free self-guided walking tour guides here linked to famous sites (I really like this site):

https://www.rometoolkit.com/walks/rome_walks.html

I’m so envious...too swamped to plan for a vacation...maybe end of summer.

Have a wonderful trip. Be outgoing and talk to the people of Rome and make some new friends. Come back and tell us all about the adventure, then YOU can make recommendations for those of US who have never been!

Old 04-09-2018, 12:19 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,782,961 times
You can download Rick Steves walks/narration for free. He has guided tours for the Colosium and Pompeii as well as others. We downloaded the walks then used an earphone splitter so only had to carry one device. Don't waste all your energy on worrying about crime. It might happen, but most likely not. You can always get more money or more documents, but you may not ever get the chance to visit Italy again.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:00 AM

6,562 posts, read 3,659,218 times
Five days should be sufficient for Rome alone. Most of the famous sites are in the city center and walkable if you get oriented. We ate at local places but avoided touristy restaurants. There are some pleasant sidewalk cafe places where you can share a bottle of wine and watch the city go by. There are huge crowds at the Vatican so that will take most of a day. A good guidebook will be very helpful. We were there in June (twice) and the weather was very pleasant.

We only had one bad event in Rome and that was on the Metro on our first day. Two people, locally called Gypsies, a teen and his older sister, were riding on the subway and at our stop they positioned themselves in a way to separate me from my wife (who was on a cane) thinking that the door would shut with my wife out on the platform and me on the train. (Metro doors don't stop like an elevator door.) I shoved the boy aside and he fell off the train and on to the platform and I got off the train and joined my wife. That was the only physical contact but they followed us through the station and up the stairs toward the street level. On the stairs two uniformed police were heading down and frightened the two "Gypsies" back down into the station. That was the end of it.

American tourists stand out like a sore thumb so can be an easy target. We dressed a little better than we might on a casual vacation at home and Italians generally thought we were German tourists...but tourists just the same. At one restaurant the waiter jokingly tried to instruct us on how to hold a knife and fork so as to appear to be Italian and not obviously American. It was all in fun.

We never had any other bad experience and walked all over Rome and rode the metro several times. We did a hop-on-hop-off bus tour early on our stay to get oriented and see a few places. The locals were very friendly and many spoke English so language was not an issue. It is fairly easy to get around if you stay in the city center. After a couple days the Italians were asking us for directions and, surprisingly, we knew how to get them where they needed to go.

Last edited by SunGrins; 04-09-2018 at 01:20 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 08:36 AM

2,276 posts, read 1,560,368 times
I went to Rome in 2012 by myself but not during tourist season. I think it was November. I was scared before going but I remember feeling safe there. The hotel staff spoke English and I used their recommendation and booked tours via hotel. I also walked around a lot, alone. I never felt scared but I did have 2 different guys offer to show me the city and hang out with their friends. I did hangout with one guy a little big longer than I should have but it was one of those crazy memories you make in your 20's.

Overall I didn't have any incidents there. I felt safe, nothing like the stories I read. Of course I was semi cautious because I was female by myself. 5 days will be perfect & the food is soo amazing there

Old 04-09-2018, 10:00 AM

46 posts, read 29,372 times
Thank you all for your comments. I also don't use credit cards. I have never owned one. I only have a single debit card. I am a little nervous about pick pockets!

Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 AM

6,562 posts, read 3,659,218 times
You will need your debit card to get cash at an ATM but you should probably get a credit card (w/chip) so you are not dripping with cash. They will happily accept a credit card. One Euro is $1.23 (today) but they use similar money values so in a way it can be a little misleading and you begin to think of Euros being the same as Dollars. Be sure to tell your bank or credit card company you are going to Italy or else they might suspend your access.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:08 PM

3,432 posts, read 1,529,612 times
We too are going to Rome the first week of May, for the first time. We have already gotten online tickets for the Vatican/Sistine Chapel and the Borghese Museum. There were not that many left, so if those two highlights interest you, I'd go online ("Tickitaly") and get those reserved. Oh, but you don't have a credit card----yikes. Not sure how I'd travel without one......

Old 04-09-2018, 12:26 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
Is 5 days enough? Not really. But you will get a good taste of it! Don't plan to see and do everything. Pick the things that are the most important to you! It's important to give yourself the gift of doing nothing and just eating a gelato or drinking coffee and watching the world go by.

Don't worry about security. Be awake, aware, and observant. Carry walking around money in your front pocket and everything else in a wallet around your neck and under your clothes. Leave your expensive jewelry and stuff at home. Blend in and don't LOOK like a target. Get a credit card. Just do it! You could even get a prepaid one. Much easier and safer than carrying cash. And make sure your bank/credit card companies know you are traveling, otherwise they will deny all charges as fraud.

Don't post on social media like FB till you come home. You don't want the bad people here to know you will be gone and way out of pocket for a week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or