U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:46 AM

2,699 posts, read 1,552,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Maybe because they are I business? They need and DESERVE to make a profit from anyone using their time and expertise. Just like any other business or profession.
Was I disagreeing on this point with you? Why the quote?

Sigh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 01:17 PM

39,832 posts, read 3,018,080 times
We took a river cruise & we needed very little spending money while on the cruise, all meals were included & also a tour each morning around the city of the day. it is a great way to travel. I think a few hundred euros should cover cups of coffee or snacks when out & about. If they plan on buying a lot of souvenirs & gifts, then obviously they will need more, but many tourist places will take cards & they need to remember their luggage limitations also.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:51 PM

15,096 posts, read 19,059,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Was I disagreeing on this point with you? Why the quote?

Sigh....
My sincere apologies, BigBear. I meant to quote the post prior to yours from spencer.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:12 PM

JK, Whew!

Old 04-15-2018, 05:50 PM

38,114 posts, read 55,898,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Travel agents don't charge anything.
I used to be a Travel Agent in Germany, and we included the small fee in the bill. Not sure if they still charge or how it works in the US.
Sorry, if my answer was misleading.

Oh, wait - just checked:
" Travel agents charge surcharges and fees on top of the price. Some certainly do. Travel agents get paid on commission by hotels, airlines and resorts, but many more are charging fees on top of that because of their time."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ents/16221261/

I would agree with that, especially if a trip is somehow complicated.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:11 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,230,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Take with you Visa and a MC ( call your bank and ask about foreign exchange fees, also notify them about your trip, so your card will not be locked).
Good advice. I would only add to check with your credit card company to see if you need a PIN # to allow you to use your credit card and/or take a cash withdrawal when you are traveling abroad.

The process and technology might have changed in the 12 years or so since I was in Europe last, but back then my cc company neglected to tell me that I needed a PIN for cash withdrawals

Old 04-19-2018, 06:36 AM

Cash withdrawals from a credit card are a very expensive way to get money - 3% or more fee AND two cycle interest charges starting immediately, at high card rates, usually 15-30%

ATM cards for cash withdrawals, OTOH, just like you'd do here, work well. I've been doing it for almost 20 years in countries as diverse as Bolivia, China, South Africa, Europe and points in between with never a problem. Best (cheapest) to do at bank ATM, and watch for fees. You can usually find a bank ATM with fees similar to US, or even fee-free.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:47 AM

15,096 posts, read 19,059,396 times
Quote:
Cash withdrawals from a credit card are a very expensive way to get money - 3% or more fee AND two cycle interest charges starting immediately, at high card rates, usually 15-30%

ATM cards for cash withdrawals, OTOH, just like you'd do here, work well. I've been doing it for almost 20 years in countries as diverse as Bolivia, China, South Africa, Europe and points in between with never a problem. Best (cheapest) to do at bank ATM, and watch for fees. You can usually find a bank ATM with fees similar to US, or even fee-free.
You are correct. But it's very easy to get an ATM (Debit) card that has zero foriegn transaction fees when using overseas ATM's. Capital One bank - easy to open account online using a small deposit to cover your needs when overseas. They also have an excellent app so I can transfer more money in if there is an emergency. Their credit card us also transaction free and offers excellent reward plans (cash, plane miles, etc)

OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ONLINE FRAUD CONTROLS.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:02 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,230,616 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You are correct. But it's very easy to get an ATM (Debit) card that has zero foriegn transaction fees when using overseas ATM's. Capital One bank - easy to open account online using a small deposit to cover your needs when overseas. They also have an excellent app so I can transfer more money in if there is an emergency. Their credit card us also transaction free and offers excellent reward plans (cash, plane miles, etc)

OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ONLINE FRAUD CONTROLS.
Interesting- I wasn't aware that debit cards could be used that way, but I haven't been back to Europe in about 15 years. Good info, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or