U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:39 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,345,130 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide a "cost estimate" for a River Cruise as follows:.......

7 days on the Rhine from Zurich, Switzerland to
Amsterdam, Holland in April or May.

Cost Estimate to be an "All Inclusive type Trip: ...
....including R/T Air fair from a major midwest city; accommodations not to be the most expensive, but a grade below a Suite.
And to include all Gratuities, port fees, taxes, etc, etc, etc.

This is for two people in their early seventies.

Thank you.........all legitament opinions and comments welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 10:46 PM

38,084 posts, read 55,866,888 times
Just look at cruise package trips for two.
You both need a valid passport, and some extra spending money. Probably ~$3-3.5K per person plus r/t flights. Prices are for land/cruise only. International flights not included. ( you fly to Zurich, but board the ship in Basel)
https://www.avalonwaterways.com/rive...?content=price
https://www.tourradar.com/fj/zurich-...m-river-cruise
https://www.cruisecompete.com/river_...parts/zurich/1
https://www.globaljourneys.com/river...avalon/wza.php <<< click here to see typical initerary and what to expect.

BTW: April 2018?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 04-09-2018 at 11:32 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 11:15 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Just look at cruise package trips for two all inclusive.
You both need a valid passport, and some extra spending money. Probably ~$3-3.5K per person plus r/t flights. Prices are for land/cruise only. International flights not included.
https://www.avalonwaterways.com/rive...?content=price
https://www.tourradar.com/fj/zurich-...m-river-cruise

BTW: April 2018?
Thank you.........i'll do my "homework"!!

Old 04-10-2018, 03:27 AM

Flights are around $1000 r/t per person. You probably don't need hotel if you arrive in the morning and depart in the afternoon. You might need some extra cash/credit card for meals and transportation to/from the ship to the airport. Have an extra $500 for that, and perhaps few small gifts/souvenirs. Exchange money at the destination for a better rate.
Some trips include free afternoon(s) to enjoy the city or perhaps join an optional excursion. That's your additional expenses, and I can't predict how much you will spend on those. Take with you Visa and a MC ( call your bank and ask about foreign exchange fees, also notify them about your trip, so your card will not be locked).
Please click on the last link to read reviews, see typical day planning, and get familiar with all stuff you can expect during such cruise. There is a long list of different pricing. (They reflect cabin size, location and view. )
Be aware that most of the travel time will occur during the night, so you will miss a lot of viewing of towns and what exists on the shore line, incl. going through the river locks which is an experience you might miss too.
You will get all meals provided - no tips are expected.
Have variety of clothing for cooler days and make sure you have right size of luggage to avoid additional fees at the airport.
If this is your first trip overseas, you might need to consult a travel agent to coordinate your flights and transportation from the airport to the vessel, and book the trip for you to assure everything will get smooth without any complications. The travel agent will also give you detailed plan of your entire travel and answer all additional questions.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by elnina; 04-10-2018 at 03:38 AM..

Old 04-10-2018, 11:48 AM

2,695 posts, read 1,549,530 times
I'm not a fan of travel agents generally, but I agree with elnina. This is a situation where a travel agent's help can be well worth the slight cost. Agents know how to arrange for transfers, how much time to allow, and a myriad of other details. Most of their work is commissioned by the service provider (and no, you don't save the commission by doing it yourself!). The main exception is air travel.

Sometimes it pays to deal with professionals!

Old 04-10-2018, 12:00 PM

They don't charge much if you book with them, but yes, they will arrange everything and make sure you will enjoy the trip

Old 04-10-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Flights are around $1000 r/t per person. You probably don't need hotel if you arrive in the morning and depart in the afternoon. You might need some extra cash/credit card for meals and transportation to/from the ship to the airport. Have an extra $500 for that, and perhaps few small gifts/souvenirs. Exchange money at the destination for a better rate.
Some trips include free afternoon(s) to enjoy the city or perhaps join an optional excursion. That's your additional expenses, and I can't predict how much you will spend on those. Take with you Visa and a MC ( call your bank and ask about foreign exchange fees, also notify them about your trip, so your card will not be locked).
Please click on the last link to read reviews, see typical day planning, and get familiar with all stuff you can expect during such cruise. There is a long list of different pricing. (They reflect cabin size, location and view. )
Be aware that most of the travel time will occur during the night, so you will miss a lot of viewing of towns and what exists on the shore line, incl. going through the river locks which is an experience you might miss too.
You will get all meals provided - no tips are expected.
Have variety of clothing for cooler days and make sure you have right size of luggage to avoid additional fees at the airport.
If this is your first trip overseas, you might need to consult a travel agent to coordinate your flights and transportation from the airport to the vessel, and book the trip for you to assure everything will get smooth without any complications. The travel agent will also give you detailed plan of your entire travel and answer all additional questions.
ELNINA: .........
Again thank you very much for all the great information and links.
Just to be clear..........I am not taking this River Cruise! .....I wish I were......I know I 'd enjoy it immensely.
I have been gathering info for two people that are very good friends.
Your comments, opinions and informative information got me to thinking about having them utilize a travel Agent......So,,,,,,,,,,,
I called a local Travel Agent that I used for many years when I traveled extensively for trips associated with my working career.
...... She has about 30 yrs experience in that business and many contacts....(one contact--her best friend--) happens to do a lot of business with AVOLON!), and got them a hella'va deal.

To make a long story very short:
My friends leave from Bosel on Saturday April 14th 2018....yes, this coming Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!
The ship (boat), is the Tranquility II, and the cruise ends in Amsterdam 8 days later......
AND, .....instead of one state room, ...they got two,...one on each side of the Boat, so they will have immeadiate access to which ever side has the best view ........ and they'll probably sleep better!!!!!!Ha Ha.

DAMN, if I was only a few years younger, I would really enjoy a River Cruise that would end in Prague.
Both my paternal grandparents were born and raised there (in the 1870s) and came into the U.S.in 1898.
Thank you again for your help.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:41 PM

7,968 posts, read 9,727,619 times
Quote:
They don't charge much if you book with them, but yes, they will arrange everything and make sure you will enjoy the trip
Travel agents don't charge anything.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 AM

2,695 posts, read 1,549,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Travel agents don't charge anything.
O really? Try booking a flight and see if it's free of charge. Try booking a complicated itinerary with no charge.

It's true that some things are commissionable (where the provider pays the agent, usually 10-15%), such as cruises, resorts and some hotels, but not everything is.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:14 AM

15,092 posts, read 19,047,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
O really? Try booking a flight and see if it's free of charge. Try booking a complicated itinerary with no charge.

It's true that some things are commissionable (where the provider pays the agent, usually 10-15%), such as cruises, resorts and some hotels, but not everything is.
Maybe because they are I business? They need and DESERVE to make a profit from anyone using their time and expertise. Just like any other business or profession.

Especially when everything they are doing can be accomplished by the user themselves on the internet using THEIR OWN (precious) time.

OP there is no reason you can't figure out the cost of this using the hundred of online pricing and review sites for river cruises. Make sure gratuities are included or calculate them into your equation. Then go to an airline scrape site like kayak and estimate the airfare. Add 20% for travel insurance and other incidentals. Budget done.

Or call a TA and let them charge you for their time doing the legwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or