Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In what terms would you describe the event?
Wonderful adventure 27 81.82%
Horrible disaster 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:25 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Adventure! Sure parts might suck, but great memories.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 04:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I said adventure but I can also add...my perception of the event depends on my level of discomfort. Was I hungry? Thirsty? Was it rainy or very very hot? Was I in a hurry to be somewhere else (like catching a plane?) What about my companions? Were they game for adventure or whiny and fractious?

It also depends on how you spin the story. I can pretty easily spin the story of a disaster into a self-deprecating and funny story, which almost always makes the disaster seem less disastrous.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:06 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Of the ten or twenty or 50 or 100 of my fondest travel memories, none of them were listed as features on the itinerary of the tour bus. Travel is not what you go to see, but what happens to you on the way.

I also have the philosophy that something should go wrong at every wedding. It will give your marriage an enduring touchstone, when everything else begins to fade.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:18 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Of the ten or twenty or 50 or 100 of my fondest travel memories, none of them were listed as features on the itinerary of the tour bus. Travel is not what you go to see, but what happens to you on the way.

I also have the philosophy that something should go wrong at every wedding. It will give your marriage an enduring touchstone, when everything else begins to fade.
LOL. I spent 2 years coordinating outdoor weddings. I would tell them the same thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-12-2018, 06:03 PM

323 posts, read 222,099 times
A mis-adventure but not wonderful...but interesting! Its funny how people vacationing an area want to stay in the clean tourist trap areas and not want to discover a little. What's the point of going somewhere New if you're just going to the safe area?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:30 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
What I've noticed is that people who are from First World nations are likely to call it an adventure. Those from the middle class (or higher) of developing nations will call it a disaster because they've been through that crap before and don't care for it.

Hot weather. People from cold countries seem to think hot climate locales are exotic and exciting, while people from other hot climates just want the nearest air conditioned hotel room. I had a Canadian colleague who insisted on visiting Palm Springs every July. JULY! She liked the 120 degree weather. I thought she needed to be committed to a mental hospital. Palm Springs is lovely in January, especially if you're flying in from Canada. Canada on the other hand is very nice in July. There is a time for every place...

Old 04-13-2018, 06:11 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
We and another couple went on a bus tour with a bunch of other tourists (that we didn't know) in Dominican Republic one year. We were in the middle of nowhere and the bus started down a steep hill on a dirt road. Half way down, part of the road was washed away by heavy rains. The bus couldn't back up the slick hill so the bus driver tried to hug the side where it wasn't washed away.

The back right wheel ended up sliding sideway down into the rut. So there were were in the bus on a slant and couldn't move. The bus driver had every (able-bodied) man get out and they lifted the bus back up onto the road. It was a good thing there were a lot of strong men! Away we went, we all laughed about it, and gained new friends. Most were a group of party loving, friendly people from the east coast of Canada. (what a fun group)

We had no more problems after that and we had a story to tell our families when we got back home.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:15 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger34 View Post
Its funny how people vacationing an area want to stay in the clean tourist trap areas and not want to discover a little. What's the point of going somewhere New if you're just going to the safe area?
I'm trying to make sense of this comment, but cannot wrap my head around it.

Most tourist trap areas have things that are appealing to tourists, that is why they go. It might be colonial architecture, beaches, volcanoes, ancient ruins, whatever. An infrastructure of restaurants and tours is built up around the attractive things that makes tourists comfortable and things easy, since they are usually on vacation so want to enjoy themselves and relax as well. What exactly is wrong with tourists wanting to stay in these areas? Being in a safe area isn't mutually exclusive to discovering a little.

The point of going somewhere new is to see something new and have fun. Some tourists are more happier heading out into other areas that aren't as sanitized to see/explore more, others don't enjoy that and would rather be in their comfort zone in the tourist area. TO EACH THEIR OWN. It's their vacation and they still see new things, taste new foods, (hopefully) expose themselves a little about the culture while playing tourist in a tourist area. I'm baffled as to why you believe there is no point going to see something new if you aren't going to leave the safe area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
What I've noticed is that people who are from First World nations are likely to call it an adventure. Those from the middle class (or higher) of developing nations will call it a disaster because they've been through that crap before and don't care for it.
This is a great point.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:39 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Somewhere inbetween. While it's not a horrible disaster, and quite amazing that the villagers showed such hospitality, I would not find it a wonderful adventure. I'm NOT the sleep outdoors in a hammock type.
^^^^^^ This^^^^^^

Old 04-13-2018, 09:25 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I always think if this as an illustration of the difference between a Tourist and a Traveler.
Exactly. I know people who wouldn't even go to a 3rd world country, let alone take a bus to a remote location, let alone sleep in a hammock, etc. but I know people who would love that experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel