U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 11:05 AM

5,532 posts, read 4,123,594 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to estimate how much traveling I can do on my budget.
I have $21,000 a year I can spend on travel. I haven't traveled a lot so I am not sure of the costs.
About me
60 years old single male. No current friends able to travel with.
Retired so I have plenty of flexibility.
On this budget I estimated I could do per year:
3-$5k trips for 2 weeks mostly anywhere in the world
4-$1500 one week trips anywhere in the continental us
4 $500 weekend road trips trips within 500 miles of where I live
I don't eat at high end restaurants or drink alcohol. Medium to cheap eateries for me mostly.
Same on hotels as long as they Are safe.
Health is reasonable. Not the fastest walker but can easily get around.
I assume as a single it will cost more for hotels than travel as a couple.

My questions are
1. Did I budget right or am I underestimating costs?
2. Any recommendations on a travel club or group that doesn't charge an arm and a leg?
Any other advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 03:07 PM

29,553 posts, read 16,518,343 times
If my math is correct, that's $23k.

Your estimates sound reasonable (and maybe high) with your parameters (no alcohol, no fancy restaurants, no upscale hotels, no first class airfare).

Costs go up in multiples of that when you drink wine, dine upscale, fly first class and stay in upscale hotels. For example, you can have a nice two course dinner for $35 in Prague, but add a pre dinner drink and wine and that goes to over $100.

If you avoid the really expensive cities like NY, London, Paris your costs will be half as much.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If my math is correct, that's $23k.

Your estimates sound reasonable (and maybe high) with your parameters (no alcohol, no fancy restaurants, no upscale hotels, no first class airfare).

Costs go up in multiples of that when you drink wine, dine upscale, fly first class and stay in upscale hotels. For example, you can have a nice two course dinner for $35 in Prague, but add a pre dinner drink and wine and that goes to over $100.

If you avoid the really expensive cities like NY, London, Paris your costs will be half as much.
Doh.
you're right! I have it all written down but was at lunch trying to do it from memory. Checking my annual budget sheet it's 3 Us and 3 weekend trips not 4!

Old 04-19-2018, 06:58 PM

110 posts, read 50,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I'm trying to estimate how much traveling I can do on my budget.
I have $21,000 a year I can spend on travel. I haven't traveled a lot so I am not sure of the costs.
About me
60 years old single male. No current friends able to travel with.
Retired so I have plenty of flexibility.
On this budget I estimated I could do per year:
3-$5k trips for 2 weeks mostly anywhere in the world
4-$1500 one week trips anywhere in the continental us
4 $500 weekend road trips trips within 500 miles of where I live
I don't eat at high end restaurants or drink alcohol. Medium to cheap eateries for me mostly.
Same on hotels as long as they Are safe.
Health is reasonable. Not the fastest walker but can easily get around.
I assume as a single it will cost more for hotels than travel as a couple.

My questions are
1. Did I budget right or am I underestimating costs?
2. Any recommendations on a travel club or group that doesn't charge an arm and a leg?
Any other advice?
What are you interested in doing on these trips?

Old 04-19-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack59 View Post
What are you interested in doing on these trips?
You know I am not really sure.
In the past I've always spent my money on cars. Now that I'm older and seeing people my age having health issues or worse dying I realize my time might be limited so I figure I should travel.
Certainly I want to see what is out there and experience things, but I am open simply because I don't know enough about traveling to really know what I want.
So any suggestions are welcome.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:19 PM

5,987 posts, read 2,912,200 times
I vote you go for one long drawn out trip through developing countries where your money takes you farther. $21k is easily airfare and a fairly comfortable year long mission to take your time and see lots of SE Asia or Latin America. They both have well established gringo trails, it's easy and you'll find out lots about the world and yourself.

Whatever you do congrats on the time and money available, I hope you have a great time in whatever you decide.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:11 PM

110 posts, read 50,427 times
I agree go where there are Gringos to check in with since you are traveling alone. Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia maybe more South America.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:49 PM

4,474 posts, read 1,702,239 times
For a single, I consider my basic cost on the ground to be about $25 a day. That would work anywhere except western Europe, NA, Oceania. Anything above that would be what you need to feel safe, healthy, and comfortable above the basic standards.

Ive slept in maybe 500 third world zero-star hotels, and never once felt anything other than safe. Street market food is probably safer to eat than table-cloth restaurants, where meals are always disappointing. If you get sick, see a local doctor, five bucks office call, they know what is going around and will fix it fast.

If you can turn off the lights and go to sleep, what more does a hotel need to give you, for an additional hundred bucks a night?

So, start with $25 a day for most countries, and then increase that according to your own taste.

Browse today at hostels.com, a good source of alternatives. Sleep in a bunk in a dorm room, and the rest of the time, gather travel lore from other backpackers about how they do it cheap.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:15 PM

5,987 posts, read 2,912,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
If you can turn off the lights and go to sleep, what more does a hotel need to give you, for an additional hundred bucks a night?
To be fair there is lots a hotel or guesthouse can offer you for a bit more, not a hundred bucks but there is usually a distinct difference between a guesthouse that costs $20 and one that costs $40. The $40 might have more space in your room with a desk, hot water, better shared lounging areas, etc.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:28 PM

4,213 posts, read 1,922,505 times
Start making friends.
I met a another guy at my gym who did China (single) the same time I did in early April.
I did Tokyo with my sister in just before China. Stayed in Hostels with private bath and ate in noodle shops. Used the subway. No more than US$120/day for 2. Could have easily knocked off another US$20-30/person if dorm style sleeping, shared baths.

We did a cheap organized paid tour of Japan after 5 days on our own. Paid 2x what we did on our own, with bad hotel food and too thick sleeping comforters and bad sights.

My son is a superhost Airbnb, Seattle. Townhouse. He charges a floor (1-4 people), private room, sofa, air mattress and bath the same if 1-$125, fees included. He tries not be around when rented.

Try to travel on shoulder months: April-May, October-November. Seattle hotels are ~60% off rack Dec-March. I did Vancouver, BC in January at the Westin for US$65/night - Gloomy time of year. Seattle 3-4* hotels is as cheap as Airbnb for 1, but is more sterile.

Last edited by leastprime; 04-19-2018 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel