Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:08 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
San Jose
OMG, a week in San Jose, would be hell, for a tourist anyway. Salt Lake City and Phoenix are two cities that I would also have a difficult time spending a week in. Unless I could take day trips out of the city. Otherwise, I think most major cities, a week should be fine. Assuming they have enough museums, cultural facilities and stuff to do. LA, you had better have at least a week. Because you are going to be sitting in traffic that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 07:11 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
I didn't feel like I saw all that I wanted to see in London even after living there for 6 months (granted, a cumulative month of that time, I was traveling in other parts of the UK and Europe)! I'm a museum and park person, so once you start diving into those kinds of locales you can really fill your days.

I was recently in Stockholm and surprised by the number of things to do there. It could easily be a city to explore over a week - especially in the summer when you can take ferries out to the islands in the Baltic.

In the US, pretty much any major city but especially Boston, Chicago, DC (a week for the Smithsonian alone!), New Orleans, and, if you're willing to rent a car, Denver and Atlanta immediately come to mind.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:35 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
I went to Florence earlier this year and spent three nights. By the second night we were ready to go as it was very crowded and touristy. I wouldn’t want to spend a week there. Same with Venice.

Cities where I have or would spend a week:
London (lived here for 6 months and didn’t see all I wanted)
Amsterdam (spent a week and went back because we didn’t get to see and do everything we wanted)
Paris (a week wasn’t long enough)
Edinburgh
Barcelona
Rome
Copenhagen
Istanbul
Athens
NYC
Boston
San Francisco
Hong Kong
Sydney
Shanghai
Bangkok
San Diego

As a whole though I prefer three nights in a city, max.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:11 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Flagstaff, AZ. It's hardly a city given it's relatively small size, but it's a perfect base to explore everything that northern Arizona has on offer. "Flag" is a really cool town with plenty of good restaurants, breweries, and bars.

Within a 2-hour drive of town are:
Grand Canyon National Park
Walnut Canyon National Monument
Wupatki National Monument
Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument
Petrified Forest National Park
Grand Canyon Railway
San Francisco Peaks
Sedona
Oak Creek Canyon
Mogollon Rim
Lake Powell
Historic Jerome
Prescott
Grand Falls of the Little Colorado
Navajo & Hopi Reservations
Hiking along the Mogollon Rim
Phoenix Metro

Old 05-08-2018, 08:25 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
OMG, a week in San Jose, would be hell, for a tourist anyway. Salt Lake City and Phoenix are two cities that I would also have a difficult time spending a week in. Unless I could take day trips out of the city. Otherwise, I think most major cities, a week should be fine. Assuming they have enough museums, cultural facilities and stuff to do. LA, you had better have at least a week. Because you are going to be sitting in traffic that long.
LA now has an expanding subway system that I understand covers a lot of tourist sites. I would not go anywhere where I would have to be subjected to traffic on a regular basis. That would not be a vacation for me.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:54 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
In my experience the large international cities: Rome, Paris, NYC, London, Tokyo, perhaps LA (if you have a thought-out plan).

Other places I think you would have to have a specific interest in something they have as opposed to just being a general tourist there. Some western cities would reward those with interests in hiking, western history, etc... Some smaller European/Asian cities will have history, art, cuisine centers.

You could broaden the question a bit to include nearby "areas" worth a whole week, imho: Salt Lake City/Moab; Lisbon/Porto; Dublin/Kerry; Croatia's coastline; Bali; Bangkok/Chiang Mai/Pai; Berlin & any other German city/region - I would suggest Bavaria or the Romantic Road region (which is good for almost a week drive in itself).

Old 05-08-2018, 09:29 AM

190 posts, read 167,564 times
Seattle
SF
LA
Chicago
Washington
NYC
Boston
London
Paris
Rome

Spending a full week in the city alone, without outside excursions. Possibly New Orleans too.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:42 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
I've spent a week on a 2 by 4 mile island, often in fact..
Key West..

I could imagine that given the chance, I could easily spend a month at any overseas destination.

I mostly travel alone, I find that conflicting itineraries often put a drag on my trip.
Sure there can be compromises, but being pissed at someone simply isn't worth it.

I'm also a chill with the locals type person, Key West is extremely expensive for a tourist.
I can save hundreds of dollars just by knowing where the locals eat, drink and be merry..

A week in in Paris, Rome or Florence? I personally don't think that's nearly enough time.. If you have the cash..

Old 05-08-2018, 10:00 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think I know what you mean, I find most cities pretty dull after 1-3 days. However, some cities also are a good base for day trips outside the city.

Off the top of my head;

London
St. Petersburg, RU
Istanbul
Tokyo
Honolulu
Cairo
Stockholm
Amsterdam
Paris
Bangkok (maybe)
Vienna
Buda and Pest
Rome
NYC

And of course, a well selected cruise will let you unpack in your room for a week while you visit multiple cities.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:07 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
London, Paris, Tokyo,

For region: Amalfi Coast, Cote d'azure, Dalmation Coast, Greek isles, area around Marrakesh and Cape Town, Southern and Northern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel